New Remington 700 ADL Trigger - WHAT???

rodell

Handloader
Dec 23, 2013
My neighbor received a new plastic-stocked 700 ADL in 30-06 as a gift. He's never had a hunting rifle. I went to the range with him and he was doing, shall we say, poorly at 100 yards.

I sat down with the rifle and I thought the trigger was jammed. No, just HEAVY, with a load of over travel!

I had him bring it into my shop - 11.5 pounds! Ouch. I took it apart - the screws were epoxied AND had some form of loc-tite on them. It took me a couple of hours to get them loose using generous applications of heat and a dental pick.

Once cleaned up and adjusted, it wasn't too bad at all. A fairly crisp 3.2 pounds. I wonder how many people are using these rifles as they come from the factory and getting turned off because they can't shoot paper worth a darn?

I told him I'd put in a Timney but he's too cheap.

If your asking for a replacement for it get a Timney that's what most people do anyway.
The factories do that so a table top gun smith can't tinker with it and sue the company.

My son's savage 11 jr, ina 243 win was at 9#. His 6" groups dropped to 0.75" when we had an after market trigger installed. Was before their accu-trigger. 11...must be some strong lawyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably lawyers after all the publicity about their killer triggers, I know, my wife had one. When she chambered a round it went off and I accused her of pulling the trigger which she did not do. Never owned aRemington since.

I actually saw the Remington "problem" demonstrated on a new out of the box rifle. Watch a sheriffs deputy take the rifle out of the box put the rifle in a gun vise, mount the scope, bore sight and get set up. His Sargent and I were actually discussing the issue.
The kid chambered a round, flicked the safety and the rifle fired. We were able to repeat the failure about 4/5 times.
That department had 8 new Accuracy international rifles in six months

Funny that you get sued for bad triggers so then you provide a trigger that pulls so hard that everyone wants to tinker with them. Seems it would have been a lot easier to just put in a trigger adjusted to a decent pull to start with.

It scared me so bad that to this day I won't hunt with anyone carrying a Remington unless it has a after market trigger. Her's was a new 1988 model 7 at the time.

I like Timney triggers, usually the first one I go to. However, I'm going to try Trigger Tech for my next M700 replacement trigger.

I have heard and read lots of accounts of the Remington trigger issue, from both sides of the spectrum; for and against.

I have several Remington's, several customized, and some of the triggers have never been touched, while others that were heavy or had creep or over travel issues, I have had a reputable gunsmith adjust the trigger to 3 pounds. I have not been able to make any of them trip the trigger as demonstrated in the video clips on YouTube, or reported elsewhere. According to several different gunsmiths that I have talked to about this topic, the usual cause is adjusting the trigger to too light of pull (I.e. 2 lbs). They all recommended quality aftermarket triggers if you want lighter trigger pulls.

I use 3 pounds, as I often wear light gloves due to weather or ambient temperatures, and want to feel my finger pressure so I know exactly when the trigger will break. Lighter than 3 pounds and I cannot control and feel this. I do not want it to be a surprise. But this is my opinion and how I control the safe discharge of my firearms, whether hunting or shooting at the range.

I had one scenario where a custom rifle discharged the round as I closed the bolt. Luckily, I was practicing safe gun control at the time and it went into the heavy timber directly in front of me, away from the other two people with me at the moment. I immediately took the rifle back to the gunsmith, who verified with go/no go gauges that headspace was slightly off and corrected the problem. He tested the trigger and action afterwards and could not get the rifle to repeat the dangerous action again. It was a very unpleasant experience to say the least!

Every rifle that Remington got to examine was tinkered with even those from from the tv show. Every rifle used as evidence could not reproduce the issue by either side. By shear numbers produced that model of 700 rem trigger is the most reliable/safe to date. From the show every police rifle was tinkered with and they lied saying they were new in box, not so at all.

Date Line put 7 solid fuel rock engines on the old saddle tank pickup truck to make sure it would catch on fire when the locomotive hit it. BUT IT DID NOT CATCH ON FIRE! do not believe everything you here or see specially if lawyers are involved.

You couldn't hardly get me to use a Remington trigger for serious work. Some good, some bad but if they can't be relied on to be adjusted to 2.5-3lbs reliably they are junk in my book. My Whelen and M600 have older Rem triggers and feel pretty good but I'm careful to make sure they aren't allowed to freeze after a long day in wet weather. I don't need to experience a bad situation to know I'll take the P64 trigger over them all. I'm a hunter and the trigger is what lets me do the work. Sorry for the rant but triggers are probably more important than most give them credit for in the field.

Respectfully you must not known the long history of the old rem 700 triggers, all smiths I know perferd the 700 because of it reliability a ease for adjustment for a smooth crisp light trigger pull. I have not needed to install a jewel or timminy trigger though I would in a second if my four 700's purchased over the last 30 years were not able to be set to the smooth crisp 3.lbs I demand from my hunting rifles.

I did have a Ruger 77/22lr rifle I purchased used and after about five years it would not hold the firing pin back more than two seconds safety on or off. Called ruger and they said send it in now! Received it back with a new receiver/bolt/trigger/barrel. And that was a used gun, who knows what the previous owner did to it?

My original statement is still true that trigger is the safest trigger to date BY SHEAR NUMBERS PRODUCED. And loved for its true performance a gain by shear numbers produced. There have been and will be better triggers where lawyers are not the real issue.

I did buy a 700 ADL-223rem with that new trigger with the intent to put a jewel trigger on it. But after only putting a B&C stock on it and turning the trigger mounted ("#@") adjustment to get a fine 2.75lbs resulting 0.190" to 0.240" CC groups with my hand loads. I filled the protruding screw head down so it is not felt I had to call it perfect.

I have owned numerous Remington rifles trying everything to use their triggers, I just do not like the feel of them:(. I have Timney triggers in everyone of my rifle except one and that is a 340C :wink:. I also have my triggers all set to 3lbs as I am of the same thinking as my left handed brother Gil :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Ya it sucks having to spend the extra dollars on aftermarket triggers , but all my Remington's and Vangaurds sport Timmney triggers. Worth the money and piece of mind.

Happened to me once when I flicked the safety off a Rem 700 and it fired without my finger on the trigger, it was the original Rem trigger. After I sent the gun off for custom mods, I had a Jewell installed.

I currently only own one Remington which is a old M725, my first bolt action rifle which still has the factory trigger but was adjusted by a gun smith and it has held up very well over the years and I don't plan on changing it any time soon.
If it were mine I would change it out just because it would be less hassle and easier to get a good trigger pull.
I do tinker with my triggers but I have had some professional training and have built some rifles.
My M77 .338 came with a Timney in it but was rough,creepy and heavy. After shooting it several times I dissembled the rifle and took the trigger apart, the contact surfaces were rough and need to be polished so I stoned them smooth and put a mirror polish surface on them and greased them with some miltech moly lube I use on my competition 1911s. The proper lube in the right places will due wonders for a trigger and preserve the surfaces. I must say I never have had to do this to a Timney before and makes me wonder if it is a Timney since it's my first experience with a new style M77 Hawkeye.
But she sure is sweet now.

I had an 80's vintage Remington 700ADL, while I never had a dropped firing pin- it was a terrible trigger in all other respects. I ended up adjusting it to a more reasonable pull.

With a 700, there's no need to live with a crappy trigger or one you suspect of safety... Timney and Rifle Basix both make very acceptable replacements.

when cleaning a rifle you should use a bore guide . it will help keep from getting a bunch of crud, or solvent , or oil in the trigger .a dirty cruddy trigger can't function properly . using the bore guide keeps anything from dripping down through . I don't have anything fancy . I have 2 different universal ones that fit about anything . the orange one fits my Lapua , and the silver one fits everything else I have . the orange one has a tappered end that seals against the chamber . the silver one has an O-ring to seal it .

bore guide in rifle ready to clean .

I use a stokboot to catch my drippers from getting on the stock . you could just use a rag . the reason I use the stokboot is to keep solvents or oils from getting in on my bedding . I'm thinking in time solvents could ruin the bedding . this also would protect your nice wood stocks from damage .

I do the same thing Jim. I also store the Remingtons muzzle down (on foam) after cleaning just to be absolutely sure nothing can get into the trigger area after cleaning.

No offense was meant to any Remington fellas at all. I have a few of them, but I like the 70's way of blocking the pin and a trigger that would have to be drug in oil and dust for miles to jam up.

SJB358":13bkxxx4 said:
I do the same thing Jim. I also store the Remingtons muzzle down (on foam) after cleaning just to be absolutely sure nothing can get into the trigger area after cleaning.

that's a good idea too . it would probably be best if they can be stored that way .

Back