M70 7mm Mashburn Super Mag

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Just got these from my smith. Hoping to have it shortly in order to fireform some cases.

Very nice, Scotty. It looks almost ready for load work. What scope are you planning to affix on the top of that beast?

Great looking rifle Scotty. I take it you had your other rifle rebarreled and put in a new stock?
I can see you hunting Elk with it this fall.

DrMike":24orthkj said:
Very nice, Scotty. It looks almost ready for load work. What scope are you planning to affix on the top of that beast?

I believe I'm going to use the 3x9 SWFA HD on it. It's on my 338 right now but I think itll fit better on the Mashburn.

TD, the old rifle is now my elk hunting partners rifle. I think there may be a few Mashburns in camp this fall.

Thank you all for the comments. I wanted a rifle that weighed about 8-8.25 scoped. It's about 6.75lbs bare so I should be fairly close.

Nice rifle, Scotty. That should be a great elk rifle and at 8-8.25 lbs a pleasure to carry.

Scotty

That Super 7 looks great.
Give us the specs.

JD338

JD338":3vj6rywf said:
Scotty

That Super 7 looks great.
Give us the specs.

JD338

Jim, it's a 8 Twist Bartlein, Krieger #2 contour, Echols Legend (Edge fill), Model 70 with a 3.6 mag box. Coated Midnight Blue with the internals coated with Micro Slick. Stock 70 trigger and Blackburn Bottom metal. Nothing really super special just took some time to make sure the sum of parts would get me where I wanted. I used the same reamer for this one as I used for my first one. Hoping load work is quick as well.

Thank you all for the comments.

Very nice rifle, that is a beast of a round. Reminds me of my 7 STW before I converted it to 300 Win. Mag.

6mm Remington":37nncvre said:
That looks nice Scotty. What rings are you going to use on it??

I am pretty sure I'm going to use Weaver bases (either Warne or Weaver) and Warne Mountaintech 30mm Lows. They weight 2.25 ozs for the pair and since I'm trying to keep the weight reasonable they look like a good ring.

Looking at 175 grain bullets?

I used to use the 175 Sierra SPBT Gameking, and the 175 Nosler Partition from my old 7mm Rem mag, at about 2900 fps via H870. Great performance from those long & lethal hunting bullets.

Guy

Guy Miner":2p765t4r said:
Looking at 175 grain bullets?

I used to use the 175 Sierra SPBT Gameking, and the 175 Nosler Partition from my old 7mm Rem mag, at about 2900 fps via H870. Great performance from those long & lethal hunting bullets.

Guy

More than likely. I've got a good stockpile of 175 Bitterroots and liked how they worked last year. I've got a decent pile of 175 Partitions and shot excellent from the old rifle. Pretty tough to beat that bullet running 3050'ish from a 7 Magnum. Plus it isn't a harsh recoiling load at all.

That will be a thumper! No doubt it will put an elk down right smartly.

Sweet! Wow Scotty you've really outdone yourself on this build! This will hopefully be "The Rifle of Rifles" for you, and in that cartridge you can't go wrong IMO.

Best of luck to you with it Scotty!

Back