Finally!

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Well I finally picked up my custom Winchester Model 88 in 338 Federal!
It is only 3 years overdue, but nice to finally have.

DrMike will post pic later for me.

It has a Krieger barrel at 20", in a heavier contour. The factory forend screw that went into a nut soldered to the barrel has been replaced with a Tikka style recoil lug, to provide better barrel floating, and the stock is glass bedded. The front sight band is a NECG with the front side blade replaced with a Trijicon tritium front sight for brush and low lifht work. The rear sight is a Wiiliam's peep sight with clearance over the picatinny rail, which will be for a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6 scope for range work, but removed for the majority of use. It has been completely Cerakoted for metal protection. The long term goal is for a full length stock. The trigger has been adjusted to just over 3 lbs with no creep or overtravel.

While a little heavier than your average 88, it balances well and holds steady on target.

Planning on using the factory 210 Nosler Partition load in it. Have a good supply of ammo already.
Will let you know how it performs.

Better late than never. Congratulations! That thing would knock me on my butt I am afraid, but whatever you point it at will expire. Congratulations Gil, enjoy!

Can't wait to see some pictures and targets. Sounds like a great setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here is the Model 88. Looks pretty Skookum. Gil did let me hold it yesterday.

Europe":3l0xtydh said:
Better late than never. Congratulations! That thing would knock me on my butt I am afraid, but whatever you point it at will expire. Congratulations Gil, enjoy!

It will be a pussycat, April. It is nice and heavy, and with the 210 grain PT, recoil will be negligible.

Looks great Gil, maybe you can leave it behind when you see us at the end of the month :mrgreen: I hope you are out shooting it today still before dark................

DrMike":1xizkfoj said:
Now, Gerry, I have dibs on this rifle. He has another Model 88.

I should have known :roll: :lol: I'm sure Gil is quite happy to have so many good "friends" :wink:

Very nice rifle. Looks like a perfect rifle for that North country you all run around in. A 210 outta that sucker ought to be a danged hammer.

Gil, that is a mighty fine looking rifle. Please remember who your Saskatchewan Flatlander friend is :mrgreen:. I do know where some real nice Speed goats lay around during the month of October (y).
I would even drive up to pick it up :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Now that is a nice rifle! Such a cool, useful, small rifle. There must be 100 different places and game where that would work so well. Moose comes to mind.... Hows a 338 do long range? CL

Cloverleaf, to be honest I have never taken a 338 over 300 yards on game, in any version.

It is interesting that the 215 gr SGK out of the 338-06 at 2750 will out perform the 210 NP out of the 338 Win Mag at 2830 fps at and after 300 yards due to the higher BC (.485 vs. .400). Note- these chronied velocities were out of my rifles and the 338-06 has a 22" barrel while the Win Mag had a 24" barrel.

Gil,

Beautiful rifle, congratulations.
Hope you can use it this fall on a big bull moose.

JD338

Cool rifle! I wanted a lever in .358 and looked long and hard for a Win 88 I could afford. Wound up with a Savage 99 in .358 Win. Unfortunately I could never get the rifle to shoot the way I wanted and it had a bad ha it of eating scopes, plus I'm really not a lever action guy.

Back