Tikka T3x 300 WSM

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Just found out I won't have much work the next while so I'm going to unload 2 guns now and replace with one gun maybe in the summer or the fall. if things turn around quick it could be much sooner.

After much thought a left hand Tikka T3x in 300 WSM would be the best to replace what I have. As a bonus I have dies, bullets and brass too sitting here so that helps a lot. Tikka's almost always shoot great but I would love to hear from anyone who has one in 300 WSM and get their thoughts. I believe you can load out to 2.9" from what I have read online.

For a scope one of the SWFA 6X42 scopes are really intriguing, of the two listed which one would be better to get? I haven't done much of turret twisting so wouldn't mind thoughts on either of the two styles.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical- ... l?___SID=U

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical- ... ope-1.html

Should I consider the 3-9x42 instead? I like fixed power scopes but have heard great things about the 3-9x42

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x42-tact ... scope.html

I like the Burris Ballistic Plex for hunting so something like that or maybe Leupold's version would be a good option too.

I had a Tikka T3 Stainless in .300WSM for a while. Complete tack driver. I ended up buying my son a lefty version in .270. I'd have another one for sure.

No experience with the SWFA scopes...but a fixed 6X is never really the wrong answer for a hunting rifle.

Gerry, handled the T3X Arctic while in Finland and loved it. Like hodgeman I have no knowledge of SWFA, but I do like the fixed 6X. That will be a very nice set up Gerry and should let the air out of anything/everything you hunt, whether it is near or far. Enjoy

I have two T-3 Lites, one is the standard rifle and one is the short barreled Big Boar version. Both were easy to load for and I ran both 150 and 180 BT's and AB's through them without issue.

Killed several deer with the 150 BT load. VERY decisive.

Ron

Gerry, I got nothin to add about a Tikka, other than it seems like they always shoot insanely well with very little work.

As for the scopes, I think at least count I have 3 6X SS with the Mil Quad and one of the 3x9 MQ's. I love them all. I have gone to mils for the most part. No real reason other than it is easy for me, and if I keep them all the same its easier to build drop charts.

There isn't anything I wouldn't do with the 6X SS MQ. Easily the most versatile scope I own. Reticle is plenty fine enough to shoot WAY longer than I would ever hunt, rugged beyond belief, and a zero stop will run you about 2.00 with a set of rubber gaskets.

The con, it weighs about 19 ounces. I don't really have a problem with that though, I'll take the durability of it over just about anything else I own. I like my VX6's and Swaro, but honestly, for 300 bucks I am not sure there is a better scope.

You will lose the subtensions in the late evening, but honestly, if I am using them, I'd just assume reach up and dial the correct dope. The SS will do that everytime. Great eye relief as well.

The eye relief on the 3x9 got a little too short for my 338 on 9X. Love the scope but it resides on the Mashburn now. No problem with it there.

Good luck, sounds like a great set up. The 300 WSM is a good one. Probably one of the best 300 magnums for finding a rifle that fits everyone. Pretty easy to load for too..

Can't find any holes in your logic. I have a couple of those SWFA SS. A 6x, 10x, and 3-15x42. Great scopes and very consistent. The crosshairs are quite fine in the 6x but the heavy top and sides help you find them even in low light.

When I had a 300 WSM it was h4350 180 partitions @ 3000fps. It's a very hard load to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

My wife's Tikka 6.5x55 shoots as well as any of my custom guns (and sadly much better than some) but costs a lot less, so I have been thinking why don't I make things simple and get a Tikka and save some money? Of the rounds they chamber the 300 WSM would fit the best for what I need right now. I had an A bolt a while back and remember liking what the 300 WSM did, excellent accuracy and good speed without burning a lot of powder.

Heard a lot of great things about the SWFA scopes and would like to try them, for now our spare Burris FF II 3-9x40 would most likely get used.

The 6x is a pretty nice scope but for a couple more dollars I think the 3-15x42 is more versatile. They are the exact same size. This is the 6x on my 308 before a stock and optics upgrade.
07caa2417b1aad485d03ce0ad9ae828d.jpg

This is the same rifle with the 3-15x42 and different stock. The scope is the exact same dimensions, I just have a sunshade on this one. It is the 2nd focal plane scope. I'm pretty much over the 1st focal plane craze. If I were you I'd get the 2nd FP 3-15x42 kit that comes with shade and covers. They really mark these down around Black Friday sales. The same zero stop shims are available for either of these scopes.
402b242f9e67b9c36b44c85fc3fd8048.jpg

I really like the .300WSM. I initially was skeptical of the new cartridge but I really loved the rifle it came in so I gave it a go 12 years ago. I've not been disappointed at all in the cartridge- reloading has been a snap for it and accuracy is first rate with everything I've tried. One thing I enjoy is that I can get full power factory loads in a wide assortment of excellent bullets with ease. It seems everyone makes some great .300WSM ammo. I just don't have time to load much or do load development anymore but the .300WSM offerings are pretty much grab and go.

For that matter a 180gr AB cruising out of the muzzle at 2950fps is the solution to a lot of ballistic problems.

My old notes show I used 2 really good loads, 60 gr RL 15 with several different 165 gr bullets that averaged 3020 fps and 69.5 gr H 4831 sc with the 180 gr Partition Protected point went 2930 fps. That RL 15 load sure was pleasant to shoot in particular. I have some 165 gr Speer Hot Cor's, 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter's, 180 gr AccuBond's and a real favourite the 220 gr Partition's sitting here. I'm sure something will shoot well out of those bullets.

As for the 3-15-42 scope I wouldn't want that on this gun bit would consider that on my 260 Rem though hmm...............

I used quite a bit of RL17 and 150gr BT/AB bullets. Alliant max loads ripped them out at 3200+ with really good accuracy.

Funny, I've still got a bunch of them but always hunt the 180s.

Gerry
The 3-15 is exactly same size and weight as the straight 6, only difference is the parallax adjustment is a side knob not on the eyepiece. You could leave it at 6 and never know the difference and then crank it up for those long shots.

180 Partition and 63.5gr h4350 were the ticket for my 300 WSM

I've been tempted by the 3-15 a few times. I really dig the 3x9 though. It's a touch more compact with a hair shorter dials if that means anything to you.

I like FFP optics but understand picking that stuff is very personal.

I can't see anything wrong with a light'ish 300 shooting 165's at 3100.

Here is the 6x and 3-15 side by side for comparison.
acc18c6a5ef0609604fec476c97adf73.jpg

84d7563e7854333f562e1f80aa14fb4f.jpg

3fcb91a0bdd46f6137f168d41c755964.jpg

The 3-15 is on the bolt gun. The 6x is on the AR15. As you can see the 6x is slightly longer than the 3-15 but otherwise they are almost identical.

The eye relief on the 3-15 is pretty danged good as well. My only gripe with the 3x9 is it is a little short on 9X. Not a big deal for a 7 Mag or under but it is a touch on the short side for the 338.

I just got the 6X SS with MQ reticle, haven't mounted it yet as I don't know what I want to put it on. As far as what one to get it makes no difference, just get the one with the adjustment your most comfortable using. If you're more familiar with MOA adjustment you might like it better than a MIL adjustment scope. I got my SS at a significant discount because the previous owner didn't want to make the change from MOA to MILS.

It's a good scope Taylor, tracks very well and durable. It's also a great way to go if you do a lot of ranging and holdover with your reticle. Both of mine are milquad reticles. I'm more comfortable with MOA at the moment but when using the dope chart and dailing in adjustment they work very well. It's only when I start to do calculations in my mind that it is more difficult.

It's no more difficult to range the target, check dope and dial in the adjustment, it also helps with slower rounds like the 308, the larger adjustments lead to less turns on the turret.

SWFA does make a nice scope and I almost bought one mainly because of the price of the 6X but I just couldn't wrap myself around the tactical style reticle so I bought this instead.
I'm going to put it on my M77 .338 Wm.

Attachments

• KIMG0323.jpg
    KIMG0323.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,601
Back