Second range day with the Howa 6.5 Creedmoor.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
After a quick turkey hunt this morning I decided to test some more ammo in my new 6.5 Creedmoor. Loads were precision hunter 143 ELD-X, 140 ELD-M, and the 120 ELD-M. Trying to get some rounds down the barrel before I start trying some handloads. I usually use a lead sled for testing groups, but decided I wanted to use my new front and rear bag set. Overall extremely happy with this rifle. Out of six three shot groups five were sub moa. The sixth group would have been great with the 120 grain, but I choked and pulled the shot. Very pleased with this rifle, and can't wait to throw some 140 grain Sierra Gamekings through it.
21dc6472e0a2c6fd98ef67912e47039e.jpg
983f9e9830467c8d5e1b66a7e132054a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those have to be most gratifying results for you. Excellent riflery.

Today made 44 rounds down the barrel, so I'm happy it's has been a shooter already. The groups could have been tighter, but a lot of that probably had to do with me. I've used the lead sled so much over the past several years, it was different using bags. Gonna keep using the bags though, I feel like the lead sled has made me to relaxed and not concentrating on form as much.

Well, it is great to know the rifle is a shooter. I would be really happy with that as well.

I do the same with a factory rifle, I really don't mess around with developing accurate loads until its had at least 40-50 rounds down the tube. It is nice to see a rifle that plunks them down under moa right outta the gate though. You know you'll have a good rifle.

Cool looking rifle as well.

Thanks, yeah I'm really wanting to load up some gamekings and give it a whirl! They seem to be accurate in every 6.5 I've tried.

Got to try a few more groups today with 140 ELDM. I think it's getting better and better with the more rounds down the barrel.
9261a77e1aa8b0854c4052ae4d5b4c2f.jpg
e0e29bdfd7cf220af99ca62865c2785e.jpg
280807ef835c1987ac927a21a31c57cc.jpg

Those are looking most promising. Should be ready to take afield any time.

Thanks guys ! It's had 53 rounds down the tube so far. Was gonna hold off before I started on a load development on it. Yesterday I was able to swoop up some RL 16 and cci br 2 primers. Have heard some great things about RL16. Think I'm just gonna go ahead and start, it's really bothering me just looking at that new container on my bench lol.

I've had the same basic results from my rifle. The more I've shot it, the better the groups have gotten.

I tried two ABLR/RL-16 loads the other day and while they were ok, there was only one group that was noteworthy. Most were MOD (minute of deer)but overall the groups I've gotten with RL-17 are better. 17 has given me consistent sub-MOA groups with the two ABLR's, 120 BT's, and 125 PT's. I'm going to experiment with more RL-16 loads and see if I can come up with some better ones.

So far, I've been very pleased with the Vanguard/6.5CM/Bushnell 4500 set up. Unless something changes, it will be my opening day rifle this fall.

Ron

I have also had some great results with RL17 and 140 hot-Cors in my previous 6.5 Creedmoor. Plus it is at all the local reloading shops. And H4350 is just impossible to find. Plan on trying some IMR 4451 and Norma URP.

Back