Browning X-Bolt...in .375H&H?

A

Anonymous

I've long loved the .375 and Browning's version in the X-Bolt came to my attention. I've had a Winchester, a couple Rugers and a Kimber Talkeetna so chambered- but my experience with Brownings is pretty limited. I've got an X-Bolt in .270 and it's a pretty decent rifle all things considered, I've lent it out much more than I've hunted with it but it shoots fantastic.

Has anyone messed around with the X-Bolt in .375? Not sure how much I'd like one with a detachable magazine in a heavy cartridge. I wouldn't think of it like a dangerous game rifle but for Interior bears and moose something like that firing lighter .375 bullets like the 260AB or PT or the Speer TBBC 250gr might be pretty effective. I'm sure recoil with 300gr ammo is pretty severe in such a light rifle.

I have never shot the Xbolt but I did own a Hunter ll Medallion in the 375 H&H for a number of years. During that time I only had one rifle and I used her on everything from Speed Goats to Moose and never had a animal walk away from her (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Can't see why it wouldn't work well for what you want to do, Browning makes some nice guns. In addition to the bullets you mention the Barnes 235 gr TSX and 250 gr TTSX would be good to look at. For that matter I have heard good things about the 225 gr Hornady, 235 gr Speer and 250 gr Sierra, at the very least they would make great practice loads.

gerry mentioned the bullet I shot out of my 375 H&H and that was the 235 speers it was a excellent hunting bullet if I remember right it sat ontop of some H4895 :wink:.
I used that particular bullet for all my hunting (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I got to handle one over the weekend up in Fairbanks... it felt surprisingly trim for a .375. I'd think the lighter bullets would make a nice "all around" rifle up here.

Back