Winchester M70 338 WM?

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I was killing time in a local pawn shop and a older Winchester M70 caught my eye. The rifle is chambered in 338 Win Mag. Could anybody give me the vintage from the serial Number It is G956xxx. The rifle is showing wear on the barrel and stock no rust is evident. The scope is early Redfield 3x9 with scope over sight mounts. This scope has an early rangefinder on it. They are asking $550.
Keith

Sounds like around 1980-1990 New Haven. Is it push feed or CRF?
Sounds like it should be a good deal, rifle is worth $400 if it's a push feed and the scope is what it is. Make them an offer of $500 and see if they will take it.
Pictures would help.

Sounds like a 6 digit G series Classic. If that's the case it's worth all of 550. Classics are tough to find in this price range. If it's a push feeder I'd be more in the 400 maybe 500 range depending on exact condition.

According to the serial number it dates to 1970. I will have to look at it again tomorrow to see if it is a CRF or Push feed model.
Keith

And though they're not collector's items, those Win Model 70 push-feed rifles are good. They can be excellent shooters & hunting rifles.

Guy

Guy Miner":1xga72n6 said:
And though they're not collector's items, those Win Model 70 push-feed rifles are good. They can be excellent shooters & hunting rifles.

Guy

For danged sure. Never had a problem getting one to shoot.

I've owned several push feed Winchesters; each was a shooter. I now have a push feed that was built into a .284 Winchester. It is a shooter. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another, even if only for a build.

While not as desired as the CRF those Winingtons have been known to shoot well.

Since Winchester decided to make a Remington copy I had to give the company a different name.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back