I know I said I wouldn't! 6X45 Build

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
I've been saying I'd never build another rifle on a Savage action but here I am going down the rabbit hole again.

20170406_151058.jpg

20170406_151053.jpg

20170406_151028.jpg

One problem all the parts are too heavy! The rifle's a 6X45 (6mm-223) what do I need a 9lb rifle for?

20170406_150800.jpg

So I tore it all back down and sent it to Marty at Twisted Barrel to see what magic he can work on the barrel, bolt body, and bolt handle. He said he thought he could get 10 ounces off the barrel. That'll get me to 8 lbs. with VXII 3-9X40 and Talley LWT mounts. I can live with 8 lbs. and it's cheaper than going to McMillan or Manners for a light stock.

5shot":2ptv6su7 said:
Some day I'll have a 6x45

I hope I enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 6X47. My old 6X47 only has a 1:12 twist, and my 6X45 has a little faster than I need but I could only get the 5R rifling in the 1:7 twist barrel. I bought two barrels from X-Caliber and I hope to build a .243 someday with the other barrel.

I bought two barrels from X-Caliber
If it mirrors my experiences with their barrels you are going to be pleased.
Cool build. Intriguing cartridge, I'll be interested in what you find with it.
Hope the ankle is doing well.

Dwh7271":38crjb5b said:
I bought two barrels from X-Caliber
If it mirrors my experiences with their barrels you are going to be pleased.
Cool build. Intriguing cartridge, I'll be interested in what you find with it.
Hope the ankle is doing well.

Ankle is as good as it's going to get, held together by two plates and 20 something screws. I get around pretty good, except going off roading. With a fused ankle it's hard to walk hills and navigate over dead falls and loose rocks. I'm back to work and able to start playing again, but I'm still catching up from taking a year off of work so the builds will be slow for awhile.

I got a deal on these two barrels I bought, they were just #3 contour blanks. I was going to install one on a M700 ADL .223 that I picked up right after the trigger recall. I made the mistake of shooting the donor and I don't see that rifle getting a barrel anytime soon. So I sent the barrel back to X-Caliber and had them thread it for a small shank, chamber, and crown at 24" to squeeze as much speed as possible out of my bullets. I'm hoping I can get 2700 fps out of 100 grain Sierra GK bullets as I picked up 1400 awhile back from a guy for $60.

Got the barrel and bolt body back from Twisted Barrel yesterday. 14 days from the day I sent it off. Marty took nearly 11oz off between the two. I have the action out getting worked on, hope to have it back soon as well.

Okay Bud what is your next project :wink:?
I am sure you will have it shooting very small groups in no time (y).
Thank you for the post and I am looking forward to your range report.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":k55brve3 said:
Okay Bud what is your next project :wink:?
I am sure you will have it shooting very small groups in no time (y).
Thank you for the post and I am looking forward to your range report.

Blessings,
Dan

I won't start the next one until I finish this one and it's a long way from done. I'm still waiting on my action to get back and I have to find someone to coat the metal yet.

I am sure that this little number is going to be a great shooter :wink:.
When you do things right good results happen (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I guess I was a little off, actually a lot off! I can't find my original weights for each piece to know how much weight was removed. However, in the end I lost 9.9 ounces for the sum total of $310 or nearly $32 an ounce. Anyway, I need to com up with a couple of more parts and then off to get it coated.

$160 for the bolt and barrel fluting from Twisted Barrel. Action work was another $150 and done by Stephen Field of Macon GA. I was going for a look similar to that of the Savage light weight hunter with the action.

20170601_100431.jpg

16879.jpeg

16880.jpeg

20170601_100915.jpg

20170601_100934.jpg

20170601_100922.jpg

20170601_101006.jpg

20170601_100934.jpg

20170601_100953.jpg

I'm very happy with how my build is progressing.

That sure gave it a different look you would hardly know it was a Savage.
I hope it shoots for you as good as it looks.

I must have missed when you broke your ankle but glad it has healed up with out any complications. Now I feel like we are ankle brothers since my left ankle is also mechanically rebuilt with plates and screws. I do find it easier to get around with a good 8" boot that supports it.

truck driver":2xa35h45 said:
I must have missed when you broke your ankle but glad it has healed up with out any complications. Now I feel like we are ankle brothers since my left ankle is also mechanically rebuilt with plates and screws. I do find it easier to get around with a good 8" boot that supports it.

Be careful out there especially on ladders as that's what got me, if you're using an extension ladder get a stabilizer bar! I went from 09/29/15 to 09/16/16 without working while my ankle was healing. I wouldn't say that I don't have any complications, my ankle is now fused which limits its mobility in it greatly.

It is still very difficult to walk over uneven, ascending, and descending terrain, but I am walking without aids so that is a plus. I also have a pretty normal gait on level ground, but I do limp when my leg gets tired. I also can't wear any boot with an 8" upper unless I can unlace it down and the tongue isn't attached. I can't point my toes down to get in a tall boot anymore, before I retired it was extremely hard to put on my Army boots and pull on cowboy boots are a not an option anymore.

I don't wish this kind of fracture on anyone. It was a long and painful process to heal, both physically and financially. I was just blessed that I came through the ordeal with my marriage and job intact, even thought the accident happened at home while working on my own house.

1443786616.jpg

1443786587.jpg

1443786650.jpg

1445035592.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Hey Bud, I like your rifle photographs a lot better :) .
I am glad you are up and more mobile (y).
You sure do know how to make a Savage look pretty :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

That was a nasty break, to be sure. Still, it is a blessing to know that you are mobile and still able to get out.

Back