1st run, 338 Fed

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
Finally, Finally got to get out to the range and take the 1st shots with the RA re-bore. I was actually expecting it to thump the old shoulder with a bit more authority, but it was a pleasant surprise to find the recoil was easy-peasy.

Ran some Fed Fusion 200's and 45.0gr of RL-15 w/ 200gr Speers. Not trying to group anything, just breakin' in the barrel. Still, it was printing 2" groups without even trying all that hard, without a rest, just elbows on the bench & a tight sling.

One thing though, I learned the hard way that the front swivel stud will crack the Crap on your knuckle, if you grip a bit too far forward! It's gonna be tender for a couple of days.

The .338 Fed and .358 Win have always interested me. I did own a .358 Win for awhile in a Savage 99A, realized I'm not a lever guy. Would love to have either on a bolt action.

What rifle did you rebore?

I enjoy both the 338 Federal and the 358 Winchester. Each is a pleasure to shoot, delivering a lethal blow to game within 200 to 250 yards. Delightful calibres.

DrMike":gbexz873 said:
I enjoy both the 338 Federal and the 358 Winchester. Each is a pleasure to shoot, delivering a lethal blow to game within 200 to 250 yards. Delightful calibres.

Amen to that. Both of them kill far better than most would have you believe.

I figured it out! RA rebore = Ruger American rebore, the question is what model American?

Back