Rifle/Bullet weight

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
We were asked whether or not we had several loads for each rifle or just one pet load. We had a tendency to have one load, one bullet weight per rifle/caliber, but that we know many fellows in the U.S. and Canada who like to play with several loads for each rifle but we did not

as an example the ones I remember were

6.5 x 140gr
30-06 180
300 H & H 220
375 H & H 300

I dont remember ever having a desire to have several different loads for each rifle, if we felt we needed "more" we just took a different rifle which gave us "more'

Do you fellows prefer to use one rifle with three or four different loads depending on the animal being hunted or do you also just use the rifle/load that you feel is best designed for the animal your about to hunt. ?

BTW, just for information, we used the 300 Norma Oryx in the 375 H & H and it is a brute if your on the way out the door to hunt Africa, Grizzly, Polar Bear, or T-Rex

One load per rifle is how I do it. May play around with different powders,bullets and primers to get there though. ;)

Among the rifles I use most frequently, I use the following weights:

.350 Rem Mag 200 grain TSX

.356 Win (No. 1) 250 grain Kodiak
.356 Win (No. 2) 220 grain Speer FN
.356 Win (No. 2) 220 grain Speer FN

.338 Fed 200 grain E-Tip

.325 WSM 200 grain Partition

.300 WSM 200 grain Sierra GK

7mm RM 175 grain Partition

7mm WSM 160 grain AccuBond

.280 Rem (No. 1) 140 grain Ballistic Tip
.280 Rem (No. 2) 150 grain ABLR

.270 WSM 130 grain E-Tip

I switch around quite a bit on my other rifles, but these are fairly well fixed.

Once I develop a load that is accurate and suitable for the intended game I stick with it but may go threw various brands and bullet weights to get there .

I'm a one load/one bullet for rifle guy. Nothing against multiple loads and if restricted to just one rifle I would probably have two or even three. For me, the beauty of having more than one rifle is exploring niches. And have something for a specialty means you can have the very best at one particular thing. For that reason I usually mate a bullet or ammo for one specific purpose.

Now having said all that I do harbor some thoughts about getting a load for a 9.3x64 that is different than what I now have, which is a load that consists of the 250 grain AB. My thinking that is going to be one heck of an elk rifle capable of any shot I wish to take. After seeing what that bullet did to 6 jugs I'm also inclined to think it capable of big bears?

However, if I ever take it to Africa and decide to go after a cape buffalo that would not be the bullet. Probably go with a North Fork, A-Frame or Woodleigh in 286 grains.

257 Weatherby 120
300 Weatherby 200
340 Weatherby 225

If its not broke dont fix it

Charles-----Not if--when! Also, what was your incentive to get the 9.3 x 64, very interesting and classic old caliber . Was it inherited perhaps ?

I pretty much have one load for each rifle. But I a have a couple of rifles I want to experiment with just to see if they will shoot. Specifically I'd like to try the 140 and 150 Partitions out of the two 7mm-08 rifles.

I do have two Ruger No 1 rifles bothe in 7x57 that shoot different bullets. Mainly because I had a bunch of them and they just shot so well I didn't think it made sense to try anything else yet.

I tend to be the one rifle/load/bullet guy.

.300WSM- 180gr AB
.308WIN- 150gr Corelokt (the rifle just likes it too much to switch)

7-08REM- 140gr Fusion
30-30- any 170gr load out there.

Still on the fence about the .270...most likely a 130gr but still experimenting a little. Shot a few with 130gr last year, going to try 145/150 this year.

One load per rifle for me , way too many options otherwise

hunternyny":12erwaf5 said:
257 Weatherby 120
300 Weatherby 200
340 Weatherby 225

If its not broke dont fix it

Charles-----Not if--when! Also, what was your incentive to get the 9.3 x 64, very interesting and classic old caliber . Was it inherited perhaps ?

It's been a while but I am sure you recall back in the days of 'X' I rescued a rifle from being a 30-06. :lol: (I've got to keep that up in case Tom happens by) My grandfather bought a lemon from a preacher man in the mid 60's. Some shade tree smith sporterized it. Not sure what it was in the beginning but, it was a 30-06 after a gun-butcher got a hold of it. From the end of the full length stock that was cut like a pencil to using a hack saw to the barrel. It shot like crap then and stayed in a closet for 40 years. I though about using it for my first elk hunt but, when it shot there a 6" pattern at 100 yards.

Did I mention that it had a Hyme action?

At first I was thinking along the lines of turning it into a 35 Whelen. And that still would be a great choice. However, someone enlightened me to who Wilhelm Brenneke was and what was possible with that Hyme action. Perfect solution, what was in the beginning a good rifle turned to crap was to be reborn into it's proper heritage.

And yes, my original thought was to turn it into a hybrid D.G./elk rifle. During the process it became apparent that a D.G. rifle should not be anything but a D.G. rifle. This 9.3x64 can be used as a D.G. rifle but, the stock design does not lend itself to allowing you to use iron sights well.

If able it will go to Africa and for sure be my plains game rifle. And I would be disappointed if it never was able to harvest a cape buffalo. There is more to the story but this is not the time or place to let all that cat out of the bag. Suffice it to say that there were friends involved and that rifle means a lot to me.

DSCN2359.jpg

DSCN2365.jpg

DSCN3606.jpg

A little too much for whitetail? He fell like a sack of hammers!
DSCN3498.jpg

Shoots OK too.
DSCN3473.jpg

DSCN3764.jpg

Great rifle Chuck! That's just too danged cool. Ain't nothing that can't be done with that rifle.

Oh, I tend to experiment and try new Bullets but I have a primary load I like for each rifle.

Sometimes I cannot resist trying something new or even older just for comparison. Bottom line is I just enjoy shooting.

Scotty,

Thanks and I have not forgotten that you were part of getting that rifle to shoot correctly.

Except for my 458winmag, The rest are one load for one rifle.
This way I just pick the best rifle suited for my hunt plan.
My tendency has been to pick bullets that are heavy for caliber.

I have 2 weights worked up for 2 different rifles. My camp gun, a sported M1917 30-06 has a plain jane 150 Sierra for deer, general practice, pruning high branches, clearcuts to 200 yards, and loaning to new, younger shooters. This is the same load I shoot in my Garand, and it did well in the sporter so I never messed with it. Roughly duplicates M2 Ball velocity, or slightly slower than .308 factory commercial 150gr. I also have a 180 gr Norma Alaska worked up in this rifle to near max. This load is for bear or deep cover where shot angles may not be friendly. These loads zero almost identically at 100 yards, so it works in this gun without any special consideration. Just aim and shoot.

In my .280 Rem, my primary hunting rifle, I use the 145 Speer GS almost exlusively. I also used to stock the 145BTSP when I had longer ranges in the mix. I have a heavy game load on the books for this rifle using the 160 Partition. Other than a test on paper and one season of deer hunting to see what it would do, I have not yet had the opportunity to hunt with it. If Elk or Moose are ever on my menu, it will be my load. I don't have the luxury (or need) of heavier or lighter calibers, I can do it all with the .280 and 2 different bullet weights depending on game. I also had a varmint load for this rifle, but quit using it on coyotes when I acquired an AR15.

I use the same loading for most everything. For instance in my 300 WM, the load is the 180 Partition with H-4350. I have used that same load for deer, elk and Caribou since the late 1970's. My one and only Antelope and bear, both fell to a 30:06 using the 150 Partition as did a number of deer. I strongly believe in the principle of not messing, changing, altering, or or in any way changing a proven combination of components. I did upgrade the stock and scope on the WM, and saw improvements, that was a while ago.

I find one load with a good bullet for each rifle and don't mess around with it. I sight in all of my rifles the same as well, or at least I did until I got a 4.5-14x40 Leupold on my .280 AI build. It's sighted for 200 yards so I can use the B&C reticle in it for longer distances. All of my other rifles have fixed power scopes and are sighted in to be 2 1/2 - 2 3/4" high at 100 yards.

6mm Remington - 100 gr. Nosler Partition.
25-06 Remington - 120 gr. Nosler Partition
280 AI - used 140 gr. Partition but want to try the 140 gr. AccuBond and see which one I can get to shoot the best. Have not had an opportunity to try out the AccuBond yet. We moved and everything's in boxes! UGH.
30-06 - 165 gr. Partition or AccuBond. Using the AccuBond now, but both are great and shoot equally as well.

I have always been 1 bullet/load to 1 rifle.
1). 204--39gr. Blz.Kings
2). 270win--130gr. ABs.
3). 270wsm--undecided :wink:.
4). 280AI--150gr. ABLRS
5). 7mm mag-- 160ABs. 2nd rifle 168gr. ABLRs
6). 30-30--165gr.NBTs
7). 308win--165gr.NBTs
8). 35Whelen--225gr.ABs
I have played with different powders but have pretty stuck with the same bullets (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

That's quite an armory you're acquiring, Dan. Some great cartridges included therein.

I used to have the one load, one rifle/caliber, but, no more. I've actually reduced my caliber-fiddling and increased the number of loads.

As an example, for the 300 Weatherby I have 168 grain TTSX, 180 grain TTSX, 150 CEB FB Raptor and 130 CED FB Raptor loads ready to go and scope dial setting data for each.

There are a lot of calibers feeling neglected, though, Maybe when I retire ...

Back