Africa-Two rifles-one load for each rifle

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I have a relative who will be headed to Africa to hunt the following animals

Buffalo, Lion, Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra

and possibly Hippo

Will take only two rifles and one load for each rifle

What two calibers would you take ?--and what bullet weight and bullet manufacturer would you take for each rifle ?

With my VAST experience in Africa.... Ha!

I'd take my Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, with good 300 gr soft points. Probably Nosler Partitions. I'd also likely carry a few solids in the same weight.

And the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL. I have a lot of faith in that rifle and shoot it well. Before I tried the 200 gr Partitions, I'd have chosen 180 gr Partitions. Now, I think I might just go with the 200's since they are shooting so well for me.

There ya go, from a fellow who has never hunted Africa! How did I do?

Guy

I'd take a .416 of some flavor and a 300wm/300wsm/300 H&H/etc. I'd shoot 400's in the 416 and 200+gr bullets in the 300. I'd be more worried about the bullet construction in the 416 for things that stomp you or bite back. Waterbuck, Kudu, Zebra, and Eland can be killed with a lot of different bullets, even Bergers or Hornady ELD's.

I'm another zero experience guy Africa wise but, the question was what would I do..........................

9.3x64 for plains game loaded with 286 Woodleigh's or North Forks with the woodleigh being the favorite.
(I'm a believer in a simi-spitzer/round nose for big bullets)

404 Jeffery with 400 grain North Forks, both soft points and CPS's.

So April, when do we go???????
First case of whatever you drink on me! :>)

The small stuff is easy- any old '06 or .300 shooting Partitions or Accubonds or similar.

The buffalo and lion generally call for bigger. Of the big guns I've had, the .416 was my favorite and I'd likely take it with 400gr A-Frames. It's legal for DG in all jurisdictions (the .375 isn't IIRC).

Hippo is another matter entirely. I'm sure the .416 would work...but I might want a second box of solids. They seem like a LOT of critter to shoot through on land.

Another with vast experience, but I've probably read every book on the subject. Going way on a limb, .375 HH, 300 grain Partition, and an 06. But I'd go with 180 grain partitions. I'm reaching I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see where you mention the country / land being hunted. If they might come upon a Lion, Hippo or Buff as a target of opportunity while pursuing the plains game then I would lean towards heavier rifles. Such as a 375 H&H or Ruger for the plains game (300 Nosler Partition sounds about right) and something definitively legal for the big guys like a 416.

If I were in a safe zone - with little to no chance of an encounter with dangerous game while pursuing the plains game - I would take the rifle I'm most comfortable with. In my case that rifle is a 280 Remington likely using a 160 grain Nosler Partition or AccuBond. I have taken Kudu (175 grain Nosler Partition) & Gemsbuck (factory 150 grain core-lokt) with that rifle in the past and had satisfactory results.

Guy Miner":3o0irqd5 said:
With my VAST experience in Africa.... Ha!

I'd take my Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, with good 300 gr soft points. Probably Nosler Partitions. I'd also likely carry a few solids in the same weight.

And the .30-06 Rem 700 CDL. I have a lot of faith in that rifle and shoot it well. Before I tried the 200 gr Partitions, I'd have chosen 180 gr Partitions. Now, I think I might just go with the 200's since they are shooting so well for me.

There ya go, from a fellow who has never hunted Africa! How did I do?

Guy
Nothing wrong at all with this. My experience mirror's Guy's though so take it for what it's worth.

Excellent responses, thanks guys.

Boy, the 375 H and H and 30-06 are still well represented and liked--love it!

I had suggested the 375 H & H or 450/400 for the Dangerous game and the 300 H & H for plains game. He does not have a double but indicated that he might buy one.

I will relay your suggestions to him and once again thank you for your responses.

Charles, I hope you get those two rifles to Africa and I hope Charlee flies you around Africa and Jamila is your guide, or her mother would be even better. How cool would that be

Currently doing my research for a trip to South Africa next May for plains game.

It looks like I will be using my 338-06 with the 210 Nosler Partition for bushbuck, eland, kudu and nyala, while my wife will be using her 7mm-08 with 140 AccuBonds for sable, gemsbok and springbok.

I also plan to take my bow for any opportunity that may present itself (except for the eland which requires a 90 lb draw weight).

For dangerous game on a future safari, I will be using the 416 Taylor with the 350 TSX and Solids for cape buffalo and the 9.3x62 for leopard and sitatunga (unless regulations require a 375 for the leopard, then the 376 Steyr with 260 AB's and solids will be used).

No experience with Africa but the the two I would take are Remington M721 300 H&H shooting 200gr. Partirions and the 375 Ruger Guide Gun shooting Woodleigh 350gr. PP.

Europe":3cywvrda said:
Excellent responses, thanks guys.

Boy, the 375 H and H and 30-06 are still well represented and liked--love it!

I had suggested the 375 H & H or 450/400 for the Dangerous game and the 300 H & H for plains game. He does not have a double but indicated that he might buy one.

I will relay your suggestions to him and once again thank you for your responses.

Charles, I hope you get those two rifles to Africa and I hope Charlee flies you around Africa and Jamila is your guide, or her mother would be even better. How cool would that be

That would be beyond cool! Not sure I could survive the encounter though............... Aleena would most likely drink me under the table at night and Jamila would be walking me into the dust during the day..................... Charlee would have to med-vac out of there! :>)

I would love to give it hell and do that. Man, what a adventure that would be. And after the hunt we could stock that vessel of yours up with scotch, wine & filets and take the scenic route back to the States.

Not sure my doc's would sign off on that excursion.....................screwem, :lol:

Europe":2075tbj8 said:

and possibly Hippo

What two calibers would you take ?--and what bullet weight and bullet manufacturer would you take for each rifle ?

Come to think of it, I'd probably just take one rifle, the .375, with 300 gr Nosler Partition soft points and 300 gr solids. I've got all that here now. When do we leave?

Wow - what a trip that is going to be!

Guy

Me:

9.3x62 Mauser with 286 Nosler PTs
and
.458 Win Mag with 450 Swift-As and 450 Barnes Solids.

CHARLES AND GUY---nothing ventured nothing gained. I will send Aleena an email and tell her you guys want to hunt Africa and would be satisfied with just two of the dangerous game species and 6 of the plains game species. That you are willing to keep the number of animals taken to a minimum so as not to cost her too much. I know Charlee would give you air service free in Africa, because of your relationship with her grandfather, charles.

Gil, I hope your trip will be a huge success for you and Susan. Your choice of firearms and ammo will definitely work.

and again thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it is appreciated

a side note. I was taken to task for my post in the politics section and that is fine as I admit I am old school and believe in many old fashion values. Like working for a living. Last year when I was visiting family in Arizona one middle age man was bragging that he didn't have to work because he could make more by drawing unemployment, food stamps, whatever than he could by working. I have never been able to grasp that rationale---BUT---I understand that this is probably a poor place to discuss religion and politics and therefore I have deleted the post I made to Dr Mike's thread, but I am still glad Dr Mike posted it and I do agree and support Dr Mike and Dr Mike's comments about the video he posted.

Guy Miner":3i3y92d2 said:
Europe":3i3y92d2 said:

and possibly Hippo

Come to think of it, I'd probably just take one rifle, the .375, with 300 gr Nosler Partition soft points and 300 gr solids. I've got all that here now. When do we leave?

Wow - what a trip that is going to be!

Guy
Would never go on any hunting trip with just one rifle. That's just begging for something to go wrong.

Can't think you'd be too far wrong with that combo.
Although I might substitute a 300 WM or one of the big 7s for the "small rifle"

Back