Springfield 03-a3 6.5-06

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
I bought a Remington-built 03-A3 here from 6mm Remington a few years ago as the basis for a custom. This past Friday I pick up the finished product from the smith on the way up to trout camp.

After I bought the action the first thing I did was buy a milled bottom metal/trigger guard. I had it sent to my guy who does beautiful work contouring trigger guards. Next I picked up a 24"#1-contoured 9" twisted Belgian made barrel short chambered to 6.5-06 on GB. I had the old military safety replaced with a chapman 2-position model-70 style safety, added a Timney Sportsman, and had a set of S&K Kontoured bases custom fit. Finally, I picked up a stunning curly maple Monte Carlo on the campfire.

I haven't mounted glass yet but here are pics of the finished product:

I have a Meopta 6x42mm w/ ballistic #4 I am gonna mount on it. For load work up I'm planning to start with 120 GMXs, 123 AMaxes, & 140 NBTs.

Excited to see how she shoots!!

That turned out beautifully. Lovely chunk of wood, Eric. Most handsome.

Now your talking....... Thats a great piece. Be sure and keep
Us posted how it shoots. What a great caliber, tough to beat that gun!

Looks great. The 6.5-06 is an interesting round, the 140 gr Ballistic Tip is a favourite in our 260 and bet it works well for you too.

Eric I am so pleased that you made something of that action that I sold you! It turned out stellar in my opinion and could not be more beautiful. The 6.5-06 should be a screamer. I bet an AccuBond in it would be a wonderful bullet too. Get her scoped up and show us some more pictures and targets after you shoot it.

David

Thanks gentlemen I appreciate the compliments!

Thanks especially to David who enabled the heck out of this addict as I thought trough this build.

I'll post up more pics once glass is mounted and some loads are worked up. Trying to decide what brass to use as I reload for a buddy with a 25-06 and don't want any mishaps, but also don't feel like trimming .270 WCF cases. May just neck down 30-06 and hope the necks don't need turning...

Thanks again,

Efw

I think that 25-06 brass would be the easiest and quickest way to go. Nosler even makes their great brass for the 25-06 too!

Got too many new 06 family stuff lying around to want to buy new...

Sweet looking rifle. Nice action and caliber. I love the maple, thinking of going that route on my M17 sporter if the crack in the wrist ever grows. Love the classic military action sporters. Like that you're putting a practical scope on it also instead of a Hubble.

Careful on that 123 Amax. I had them go poof at the 100-125 yard mark from my 6.5 Swede M96, and it's a discontinued bullet so I wouldn't put too much effort into load development. Try the Hornady 140 HPBT or Nosler 123 CC for a general purpose target bullet. Both are economical, flat shooting and accurate.

That is an interesting rifle with a beautiful looking stock. Some day, some day, Im gonna have a stock in maple. CL

Very cool that you used the old Springfield action for this project! Love the maple too.

Stock design is a personal thing, and I wouldn't have chosen that, but it is a very good looking rifle.

Looking forward to some range reports, and seeing it used on an exciting hunt!

Guy

Put in next year for a combination elk/deer tag and if you are drawn I'll take you out hunting.

You can still purchase Super Tag chances for $5.00 a pop for moose, sheep, goat, antelope, mule deer, elk, and bison! Go to the Montana FWP website and purchase a couple. What you got to lose??

I think you can purchase them into June..................just saying!

Guy I don't know if I would have gone that style with the stock either, but it sure is beautiful! I think it really seems to fit the rifle as it looks just like what I envisioned my father putting on it after he had it built to a .308 Norma magnum! Actually he had one pretty similar which Eric got from me also. It was an old Herter's stock I believe with the roll-over cheekpiece. It was pretty cool.

Back