Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Rifle - 375 H&H
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 pm 

One of the dumbest things I have done in the last couple years was sell my Ruger 77 Afican 375 Ruger...It was killing me not having a 375. So when Sportsman's ran this on sale, I had to have it...

Weatherby Vanguard DGR in 375H&H. Has B&C stock, NECG sights, and a very crisp trigger. Gun is 7 3/4 w/o scope. Overall a lot of rifle for the price - ESPECIALLY the sales price. This is weatherby range certified to shoot 3 shots under .99 at 100 yards.

Have on way a Leupold VX-R 2-7X33 for the rifle. Should be a great thumper and I am pretty sure that if it shoots as good as it looks, its going to Canada with me this fall to bring down my moose.

Going to play with Re15/re17 and Barnes TTSX 250 Grainers. Should be a hammer!

Attachments:
3752.JPG
3752.JPG [ 870.56 KiB | Viewed 3645 times ]
3753.JPG
3753.JPG [ 804.07 KiB | Viewed 3645 times ]
3754.JPG
3754.JPG [ 971.51 KiB | Viewed 3645 times ]
Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: New Rifle - 375 H&H
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 pm 

Indeed, it should be a hammer. Classic cartridge, that's for certain. The Vanguard sure has a well-deserved reputation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 pm 

Nice gun, the 250 gr TTSX will deliver on moose for sure. I used the 260 gr Accubond on bears when I had a 375 Ruger and it would be a top choice but guys who have used the 250 gr TTSX have been very pleased with them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:58 pm 
Don't overlook the 260 Partition either...

...my partner totally numbed a couple of critters last year with them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm 

hodgeman wrote:
Don't overlook the 260 Partition either...

...my partner totally numbed a couple of critters last year with them.

One of my friends uses it as well, you are right it is great too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:12 pm 

Congratulations the 375 Hurt & Hurt is time tested :wink:. I shot one for over 10 years in the days when I only owned 1 rifle. I loaded 235gr. Speers and used it for everything from Speed goats to Moose.
The Vangard is a great rifle!!
I am looking fotmrward to a couple of range reports with photos I hope (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 am 

Very nice! I was astounded when I saw those Vanguard/Howa rifles in .375 in the Weatherby lineup. What a great rifle, at a very impressive price!

The only criticism I've heard of that Vanguard action concerns the bolt stop being a little weak, and people wondering about if it was up to the task of handling a bolt that might be operated very briskly by an adrenaline charged hunter... But I don't know if that's true or just somebody nit-picking.

Looks to me like you've got a very good medium bore, perfect for hunting the rugged & wet north!

Congrats! Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:16 am 

Looks like a beautiful rifle. Can't wait to hear how it shoots for you. Most of them think they are varmint rifles.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:31 am 

You can't beat the value of the vanguard they will shoot and they look good also.
Nice looking rifle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
The only criticism I've heard of that Vanguard action concerns the bolt stop being a little weak, and people wondering about if it was up to the task of handling a bolt that might be operated very briskly by an adrenaline charged hunter... But I don't know if that's true or just somebody nit-picking.

I had read about that, and while I doubt its an issue, I may send this rifle to the smith to mill out a side stop - like on nosler rifles.

Got the 2-7 vxr today and got it mounted up. Looks like it just fits the rifle/caliber to a tee. It is setting in Low Leupold PWR rings on Warne Steel bases. According to specs this should weigh about 8.6-8.7 pounds as it sits.

Attachments:
375 hh.JPG
375 hh.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 3578 times ]
Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:01 pm 

Nice... (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm 
Very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 am 

Very nice. Looks perfect.

Pretty handy package as well.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:22 pm 

That's a great looking rig. Let us know how it shoots.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:07 pm 

idahohunter8 wrote:
Guy Miner wrote:

I had read about that, and while I doubt its an issue, I may send this rifle to the smith to mill out a side stop - like on nosler rifles.

Got the 2-7 vxr today and got it mounted up. Looks like it just fits the rifle/caliber to a tee. It is setting in Low Leupold PWR rings on Warne Steel bases. According to specs this should weigh about 8.6-8.7 pounds as it sits.

I would not worry about that! I ran my Wby. Vanguard 7mm-08 in a PRS Event in 2014 and put over 200 rounds through it in two days, plus all the other times I've used it since owning it in the late '90's, and never had a failure of the bolt stop.

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:37 pm 

Nice looking rig! Kind of hard to go wrong with the classic 375 H&H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:00 am 

longrangehunter wrote:
idahohunter8 wrote:
Guy Miner wrote:

I would not worry about that! I ran my Wby. Vanguard 7mm-08 in a PRS Event in 2014 and put over 200 rounds through it in two days, plus all the other times I've used it since owning it in the late '90's, and never had a failure of the bolt stop.

Good to know. The stress of competition will give a rifle & rifleman a good workout!

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:29 am 

Guy,kinda hard to compare a rifle used in competition to one used for Cape buffalo.

Different kind of stress. ;)

Member Houston Safari Club.

Ken.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 am 

elkhunternm wrote:
Guy,kinda hard to compare a rifle used in competition to one used for Cape buffalo.

Different kind of stress. ;)

Ya, thought about that. But it's the bolt stop in question. I suspect the rifleman working his bolt hard in competition will work it just as hard, just as fast, and likely a lot more often than the fellow hunting buffalo.

Dunno. I've shot some competition, and it will reveal the weakness of a rifle. Haven't hunted buffalo, I imagine that could reveal the weakness of the rifleman in a hurry!

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:32 am 

Guy,I have shot in competition (silhouette,big bore .30 cal and smaller and small bore .22LR) and there is stress,but it's not like you're going to get hurt if the target runs you over.

Honestly,weakness in any rifle should be found before using it in either hunting or competition.

Member Houston Safari Club.

Ken.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:02 pm 

This conversation is inspiring me to start another thread, so as to not detract from this one about the nice new Weatherby!

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:02 pm 

I tried the 250 TTSX but was a bit disappointed. It didn't seem to achieve much more velocity than the 270 TSX which is a time tested and proven bullet. The 270's have a shorter nose which helps with total magazine length and are very accurate in my 375 Ruger.

I'll stick with the (older style) 270 TSX, at lest when I'm not shooting the 260 NPT or Accubonds. :>)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 am 

Have to admit that although I've fired a lot of different .375" bullets, I've only killed game with the 260 grain Nosler Accubond - and it's proven to be one heck of a bullet! (y)

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:54 am 

My brother had tremendous luck with the 260 AB. He was shooting it out of a 28" TC Encore. I can't remember what his velocity was but it was a hammer for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:26 am 

elkhunternm wrote:
Guy,I have shot in competition (silhouette,big bore .30 cal and smaller and small bore .22LR) and there is stress,but it's not like you're going to get hurt if the target runs you over.

Honestly,weakness in any rifle should be found before using it in either hunting or competition.

Honestly anyone of the Big 5 can run over you in an instant, and it's not always the guns fault.

While working in Zimbabwe and Tanzania I witnessed and/or heard first hand when things go badly wrong in the field. Both by PH's and/or the hunters being hunted. I knew three Outfitters personally that had been attacked by Lions, a PH that had his head flattened by a Elephant, and Niki Atcheson who was run over in Dande North hunting with HHK Safari's on the other side of the river from me by a Buffalo she wounded.

At the time Niki, and I shared the same rifle build by Lon Paul. While her husband used a Custom Shop Winchester that somehow in the course of a charge couldn't get his shot off, or the PH for that matter in the instant of the charge. The unfortunate outcome was that the Buff ran right past the two of them, and the tracker only to run right for her and hammer her to the ground! Her 13th Cape Buffalo, and a very respected hunter! Her Binos/Bino-buddy protected her from being disemboweled. Only for the Buff to swing back around for the horn to catch her at the back of the knee and open her back leg up to buttocks! Not a pretty sight I would have imagined

I've seen a few grown men wet themselves from a charge by an Elephant or a Cape Buffalo. Most guns function fine if the person behind them doesn't lose their cool, and they've spent enough time with it for perfect muscle memory under battery.

Nothing wrong with upgrading a part out of spec, not up to par, or weak enough it could fail to function in the field. Cheap insurance vs. wondering why you have a bolt in your hand when you need it the most! :roll:

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page 1, 2  Next