McMillan Rifle Stock

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Looking to invest in a new stock and since the rifle is a Ruger M77 the only good stock available in a synthetic is McMillan.
I'm wondering just how good they are for what you pay for them or are you just buying a name?
Are they really worth the price of a good used rifle and do they really help to improve accuracy?

Yes, McMillans are absolutely worth the cost. They won't make a sick rifle shoot better, but if you have an already accurate rifle the McMillan is only going to make it better/stable. They are stiffer, throughout to resist flexing and built like tanks. Plus, If you call McMillan you can probably get any of their styles inletted for your Ruger. They are expensive, but so is gas, time, ammo, etc... If it comes down to me traveling a long way to hunt, the overall cost is pretty inexpensive to make sure the rifle is going to act the way I want it to.

I have found 2 used McMillans for the M77 one for a tang safety and one for a MK II. The MK II is bedded and priced at $400 which is about $150 less than new.
Would that be a good buy?

truck driver":27vdx9m5 said:
I have found 2 used McMillans for the M77 one for a tang safety and one for a MK II. The MK II is bedded and priced at $400 which is about $150 less than new.
Would that be a good buy?

I'd snag it if it were me.
I don't often see used Micky stocks come up for sale. That should tell you a lot.
I have one and thinking about getting another one for a second rifle.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my McMillan stocks . I bought one McMillan stock from the outlet , scratch and dent , or whatever they call it . someone ordered it and then refused it because it weighed a couple ounces more than they were told it would weigh.

the one you found used that's bedded , I would grind out the old bedding , and bed it again to your rifle . chances are that bedding will not match up to your action , and would cause stress . if you decide to go that way .

I read somewhere that McMillan is going to bring out a plastic stock in the near future . I'd say they will be a lot better than a factory plastic stock . just something else to think on .

There are always new and used McMillan stocks floating around on the classifieds over at 24HourCampfire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":1b5sfszb said:
Yes, McMillans are absolutely worth the cost. They won't make a sick rifle shoot better, but if you have an already accurate rifle the McMillan is only going to make it better/stable. They are stiffer, throughout to resist flexing and built like tanks. Plus, If you call McMillan you can probably get any of their styles inletted for your Ruger. They are expensive, but so is gas, time, ammo, etc... If it comes down to me traveling a long way to hunt, the overall cost is pretty inexpensive to make sure the rifle is going to act the way I want it to.

+1

jimbires":gn9baem2 said:
I like my McMillan stocks . I bought one McMillan stock from the outlet , scratch and dent , or whatever they call it . someone ordered it and then refused it because it weighed a couple ounces more than they were told it would weigh.

the one you found used that's bedded , I would grind out the old bedding , and bed it again to your rifle . chances are that bedding will not match up to your action , and would cause stress . if you decide to go that way .

I read somewhere that McMillan is going to bring out a plastic stock in the near future . I'd say they will be a lot better than a factory plastic stock . just something else to think on .

Jim, I saw that as well, but I'd bet money it'll be on a 700 platform for awhile until they see it'll make money for them.

TD, those are good deals and as far as I know, the MKII's and Hawkeyes have the same footprint so either stock will work. Beware though, if you have to lengthen or shorten the stock, a good gunsmith could have you back up to the same price you would have been if you would have ordered a new one with the correct LOP.

Also, don't know for sure, but you don't HAVE to get a Ruger styled McM. I am pretty sure they will inlet alot of their different styles for a Ruger footprint.. Meaning, you could get a Winchester SG style inletted for your Ruger. Just some stuff to think about.

SJB358":1n8cyvu4 said:
jimbires":1n8cyvu4 said:

Jim, I saw that as well, but I'd bet money it'll be on a 700 platform for awhile until they see it'll make money for them.

TD, those are good deals and as far as I know, the MKII's and Hawkeyes have the same footprint so either stock will work. Beware though, if you have to lengthen or shorten the stock, a good gunsmith could have you back up to the same price you would have been if you would have ordered a new one with the correct LOP.

Also, don't know for sure, but you don't HAVE to get a Ruger styled McM. I am pretty sure they will inlet alot of their different styles for a Ruger footprint.. Meaning, you could get a Winchester SG style inletted for your Ruger. Just some stuff to think about.
Scotty I was thinking on the same lines as you and don't need another headache.
I was looking at a hunters edge model stock that they have already in stock but can't pull the trigger on it since I would have more in the stock than what I have in the rifle price wise.

truck driver":2mqbk7lt said:
SJB358":2mqbk7lt said:
jimbires":2mqbk7lt said:

Scotty I was thinking on the same lines as you and don't need another headache.
I was looking at a hunters edge model stock that they have already in stock but can't pull the trigger on it since I would have more in the stock than what I have in the rifle price wise.

I would stay away from EDGE technology in the 338 Win Mag, and I would also look at something with a broader cheekpiece. The Hunters Edge is a very good stock on a 30-06/270 sorta recoil rifle but I think you might dislike how narrow the cheek piece is on a 338.

EDGE lightens the stock, but it can also make bedding trickier with heavier recoiling rifles. The advice I was given was to stay away from EDGE fill stocks when you get to heavy 7mm's and 300's. Standard Fill or even Magnum is better for the heavier recoiling rifles.

I'm pretty sure Scotty is correct . I'm pretty sure McM , will inlet any style stock to fit any action , as long as it's doable .

yes , EDGE is a light weight stock .

Rodger, I have a Manners stock on my 280AI and it has a titanium rail bedding system and it is also glass bedded. It is a great stock that is fairly light :wink:.
I also have a McMillan hunter on my 35 Whelen and can not say a bad thing about it either :mrgreen: I know alot of the guys around here are really talking good things about the HS Precision stocks as well.

Blessings,
Dan

McMillan won't do an Edge fill for a Ruger 77, I imagine it has something to do with the angle of the front action screw. I have one rifle with a High Tech stock which is now owned by LAW. They are more work than a McMillan or Manners, but if you can do the work yourself they are a lot cheaper to start with.

http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/product-p/rug-old.htm

Thanks taylorce1, they look like the old brown Precision from back in the 1980's.

SJB358":1vj55jhe said:

Ruger is not as deep in the action area so many of the other styles will not fit.

I have two of the Brown's and one McMillan, both brands seem to get the job done. My McMillan is the newer and has a better finish for gripping the stock, the Browns are slick.

Back