Barrett Fieldcraft...out of the box.

A

Anonymous

Picked up a Barrett Fieldcraft today. I'd heard a little bit about these and wasn't really terribly interested. Until my local hook and bullet got one in that is... I shouldered it and reached for my wallet.

Very businesslike piece of work- 5.1 pounds on my scale, 18" barrel with a threaded muzzle, overall a very trim 37.75" long.... 6.5 Creedmoor chambering- should make a very nice sheep, deer and caribou rifle. Machine work is extraordinarily clean and it has a Timney trigger that makes me drool.

Thinking of putting a spare 2.5-8x Leupold I've got laying about on it. It does take specific Talley rings or a rail sold by Barrett. I'll have to wait on the mailman for that, otherwise I'd be shooting it this weekend.

Not really wild about the 6.5 cartridge, but then again- I wasn't wild about the .300WSM when I bought that rifle either. I guess I get to learn something new this summer.

Time to start rounding up ammo to try it out.

Careful, now. That Creedmoor has a way of growing on a person. Sounds as if you made a good selection.

DrMike":1h155f41 said:
Careful, now. That Creedmoor has a way of growing on a person. Sounds as if you made a good selection.

I know the Creed is kind of the darling right now, I like the Swede and this is pretty close in performance. Thinking it will make a superlative sheep gun- light and compact with some reach to it...well, as much reach as I'll ever need.

Candidly, if one has a 6.5X55, it would be hard to justify the Creedmoor; and vice versa. I happen to have a Creedmoor and don't have a 6.5X55. I do have a .260 Rem, and there is considerable overlap in these cartridges. From a utilitarian point of view, they are ballistic triplets. Any of the three will do what the other two do. I agree with you that it sounds as if you secured an excellent sheep gun. When you get a chance, give us a picture.

Here are a few pics...scope is loose- just placed for a fitment.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 3,948
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 3,948
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    954.1 KB · Views: 3,948
I like the looks of that. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread since I suggested he look at one of these rifles for his up and coming hunter son. Could be a rifle that lasts him a lifetime and be very useful.........

gerry":2nb1oszo said:
I like the looks of that. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread since I suggested he look at one of these rifles for his up and coming hunter son. Could be a rifle that lasts him a lifetime and be very useful.........

So far I'm impressed. Reminds me vaguely of the now-defunct Forbes 20B.

If I ordered it special...I'd have gotten a 7-08 or .308...but I'm open-minded to the potential of the 6.5 with modern ammo.

I think you will really like the Creedmoor lots of fantastic factory loads for practicing or hunting if you go that route. Both of mine have been extremely simple to load for with sub moa loads with every powder and bullet I've tried. I have also owned a 6.5 Swede and 260 Rem. There pretty much isn't a bit of difference in them on the game I've shot. I will give the Creedmoor the advantage over the 260 for great factory loads. Also you can seat the long heavy bullets without taking up powder space, an issue I had with the 260. That Barrett looks like a fantastic hunting rig. Especially for you fellows that hunt in the mountains. Looking forward to your range report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rifle - unfortunately they chose to put the bolt on the wrong side AGAIN ! Rumor is that it will be at least another year before a left hand version "may" be available.

I ordered a Sako CarbonLight in LH because I'm not getting any younger as I wait for rifles that "may" be produced. LOL

Good luck with the new rifle.

Cool rifle. That sucker looks some kind of handy.

I really dig that 6.5 CM. Great cartridge.

I have the "poor mans" version. Remington M7 stainless synthetic that has served me well so far for many years. That looks like a keeper. I love the short action cartridges,easy on the shoulder.

Finally got the scope mounted up on a set of Barrett's Talley LWs.

Attachments

• Fieldcraft.JPG
    Fieldcraft.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,610
That looks very nice! Looking forward to seeing many trophy pics! You gonna put a can on it? That would be a good candidate for the gen tech tracker.

Thebear_78":2cs4p08p said:
That looks very nice! Looking forward to seeing many trophy pics! You gonna put a can on it? That would be a good candidate for the gen tech tracker.

I'm going to try a can on it in a couple of weeks- meeting a friend with one to try it out. If I like it, I may go through the administrivia to get one. So far I'm happy with the rifle and how it setup. Depending, it may get a fixed 4x to shorten tube up.

Hope to take it out this weekend and do a little shooting with it.

Silencershop.com is pretty easy to work with. Wiggies here in anchorage is a dealer complete with fingerprint and photo kiosk. Marc is a buddy of mine and a great guy.

Back