Good enough?

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
Took my .460 out this morning and here are the results.

The lower two shots are the first,after adjusting 2" up and .5" left,the top two are the final shots. The .17 HMR is there for scale.

What bullets do you use in that monster?

Looks pretty danged accurate for that big of a hunk of lead heading down range.

elkhunternm":aaursuat said:
500 grain Hornady DGX.

Yeah, those should get most of the way through a Jack rabbit or T-Rex.. Whatever you need :mrgreen:

The Hornady's are for practice,have 500 gr Nosler Partition's for hunting. Whenever I get back to Africa or I get a wild hair,use it on oryx or cow elk here in New Mexico. :)

elkhunternm":1f0f5tl2 said:
The Hornady's are for practice,have 500 gr Nosler Partition's for hunting. Whenever I get back to Africa or I get a wild hair,use it on oryx or cow elk here in New Mexico. :)

It may be tough enough for those iron clad elk! That is a serious thumper. What kinda speeds does the 460 run a 500 grain bullet?

Just reading .460 I think I have developed a flinch! Lol that is a serious beast. I can handle a 375 H&H quite well, but I know that 460 is too much gun for me haha. Excellent shooting takes a real rifleman to shoot one of those beast that well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":2g12abl3 said:
Just reading .460 I think I have developed a flinch! Lol that is a serious beast. I can handle a 375 H&H quite well, but I know that 460 is too much gun for me haha. Excellent shooting takes a real rifleman to shoot one of those beast that well.

Or a pain freak? :lol:

I've shot a hot loaded 458 Lott that was not as bad as I thought as long as standing. From the bench it's a beast. I can only imagine that the 460 is that with more pop.

Oh lord I can't imagine benching either one of those lol. I'd try them standing, but when it came bench time I guess I'd have to turn in my man card lol

There is nothing wrong with that shooting :wink:. I too shot a 375 H&H exclusively for 10 years and on the bench it was all that I wanted to handle.
My God son shoots a 338 Laupa and I even tried that a few times :shock: but I only shot a 460 once and that with my cousin's :shock: Model 70 and that was plain awful :lol:.
I am not sure if there is anything that would want to stay standing after getting whacked with a 500gr. bullet out of a 460 :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Fellas,my .460 is a kitty cat. With the 500 gr Hornady and 85 grains of AA 4064,it's getting 2000 fps average.

Anyone on here could handle it.

The rifle weighs pert near 11 lbs with the scope and it has a Pendleton brake also.

SJB358":1o65t1j9 said:
elkhunternm":1o65t1j9 said:

It may be tough enough for those iron clad elk! That is a serious thumper. What kinda speeds does the 460 run a 500 grain bullet?
It would be nice if Nosler made something in the 400-450 grain range in a Partition,for the "big" .458" cartridges.

Back