Weatherby vanguard synthetic/S2

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Looking at a new rifle for the gf and was looking at the Weatherby vanguard synthetics and S2 in either the 257 wby or 270 win. As I was looking on weatherby site they dont even show the S2 but they show the synthetic..however when you look for rifles for sale, the S2 seems to pop up pretty cheap, like $500 through buds gun shop for example. Is there any differnece in the synthetic or the S2 or whats going on? Thanks for any insight.

The Synthetic is the S2. They're all S2s now, and have been for several years.
It's just the particular model of S2.

Alright, thanks! Thats kinda what I figured, that they were the same rifle. I kinda want one in a 240 for dogs, Im missing a dedicated yote rifle now that my 25-06 is gone.only thing I dont like about the WBY calibers in the vanguard model is the 24" tubes.

Wish the 240 and 257 had 26" bbls like they should...whats the mag length on these? Anyway to get close to the lands and still use as a repeater? Or do we have a ton of freebore here to not even matter?

They have a ton of free Bore. Don't sweat it though. The 257's I've shot have been tack drivers without touching anything. My little brothers loves 120 Partitions and 115 Ballistic Tips, deer have hated them.

Thanks for the info scotty. Always wanted a 257 but I think Im going to go for the 240 myself for dogs and get a 270 for my gf. Getting her back into hunting and dont want to spend a ton on a setup if she decides its not for her.

I can understand that. I'd go for a 240 as well... Wished they'd spin them up with an 8 twist. Then they'd really have my attention.

Yah and a 26" tube haha...figure a 75 or 87 vmax will still do what Im looking for and dogs wont know the difference :)

I may be wrong but since the case capacity of 240 and 257 aren't that overly large and well with in a 30-06 OAL loaded I don't see the need for a 26" tube for either.
I had a 300Bee in a Vanguard and it was very handy with the 24" tube.

Back