New stock for the shorty 308

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
After pairing down my 308 selection this month my shorty 308 is going to be seeing more hunting use. While a heavy replacement for my kimber Montana it will have to do.

The MDT CHASSIS that I had it in while great from static positions like bench and prone just wasn't doing it for me in the carry and off hand positions. Too many right angles sticking out catching on everything.

I replaced it with a manners elite tactical MCS-T. The manners took over 2 pounds off the total weight. The conventional style leads it more to carrying and offhand shooting.

385e51cba12d14c15f9e42f19e3e3d3f.jpg

5cd8c7ca95461b11a7a5f69d8c01d2ac.jpg

I even stopped by the shop and tried my suppressor out, balances very well with the new stock. Can't wait to get that thing out of NFA jail. I'll hopefully have my stamp before hunting season in end of August.

f995d8169690470626dd703c5b14f878.jpg

Now I just need to figure out a good hunting load. Going to try out the 178 ELD -X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been tempted by Manners, just haven't taken the plunge. McMillan finally got their act together and have shorter wait times, and they're usually my first choice. Nice rig you've put together.

You will have to be careful if you set your rifle down in the bush. It sure blends in with those yellow hues.

I actually did that last year, set my rifle down to fix a 4 wheeler mechanical problem. Got all the way back to camp before I realized it.

Took forever to find the damn thing. I guess that's a good thing cause nobody else found it first!!

I had a buddy who left his rifle at a kill site, had to go back for it the next weekend. Luckily still leaning against the tree where he left it.

Nice looking stock that camo pattern makes it pop.

I was also in the stock market and was in the process of ordering a new McMillan when I saw a H-S Precision in a local GS and bought it instead.
I dislike ordering something I haven't handled first and a stock can be something personal. Hoping the H-S will help settle the 338Wm down.

Whole new facelift for the shorty. Swapped out the nightforce on my 6.5 Grendel. Put on a cheek pad. Think it's all set up for hunting now.

I tried out the 178 eld-x hornady load. I didn't get a chance to chrony the load but it shot very well. 5 shots just over 1/2" at 100 yards. Hopefully they can get decent velocity out of that stubby little barrel

31ba568868ee60aca9d985e441738837.jpg

Back