Good Enough Part 2?

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
Took the .460 out this morning just to try 87.0 grains of AA-4064,Fed 215 mag primer and the 500 gr Hornady DGX.

Shot at 100 yds and a 2070 fps average for the 4 shots.

Just need to go on safari now. ;)

You have that right! Time to go on safari; and let the animals beware! A fine load that will work for anything you'll ever encounter.

Tried Var-Get in the .460 Wby with the Hornady 500 gr DGX yesterday.

This is the best group,which was 95.0 grains,the average was 2309 fps.
ndnvaSq.jpg

This is from 97.0 grains.
b0qlFWL.jpg

FAOnvQ8.jpg

The bolt knob is hitting my trigger finger during the recoil.

The thought of shooting that beast is making me hurt lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkhunternm":23gyndpk said:
Hopefully in 3 years I'll be going again. This time for eland and Cape buffalo.

Now that seems like a terrific idea! (y)

Glad you explained the picture. I was thinking that wasn't much of an entrance wound! :shock: The cartridge can be a beast. Hate to see the bolt hitting your finger; that can have long-term consequences for a rifleman.

DrMike,should have seen my finger after shooting 6-7 rounds of .460 Wby factory ammo! :shock:

elkhunternm":1643eo9s said:
DrMike,should have seen my finger after shooting 6-7 rounds of .460 Wby factory ammo! :shock:

Oh, I do understand. I've conducted rifle break-in and load development for more than a few Weatherbys and Lazzeronis in my day. One of my worst day entailed, among other things, doing a full break-in on two 338-378 Weatherbys, a 300-378 Weatherby and load development for two 7.82 Warbirds. Yeah, my fingers looked something like yours. I'm actually quite empathetic. Dancing with those beasts can definitely discover every little nuance of posture on the rifleman. You've done well. (y)

Took the .460 out this morning.....
RHesXL6.jpg

4 shots with an obvious flyer.

95.0 gr Var-Get,Fed 215 mag primer,500 gr Hornady DGX.

Were you aware that you pulled the outlier when you shot it? Certainly, the three centered above the bulls-eye would be great if they are reproducible.

Not dissing you. Sometimes I know that I "pulled" my shot. At other times, one will simply be an outlier. The group is still plenty good for game out to quite a distance.

I know you're not dissing me.

I too sometimes get "outlier" shots for no known reason. :)

Too much coffee for me, or distracted, or a fly buzzed me, or... :lol: Well, any excuse works for me.

elkhunternm":2w4axlgh said:

Each scar equals one bull moose, its like a notch on your stock of how many kills you made. :mrgreen:

Back