Shot my 6.5 Creedmoor with 147 ELD-M's this morning

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
I originally wanted to use Lapua brass in this rifle and tried it with R-26 and 147's a few weekends ago. My large firing pin was piercing the small rifle primers. So I ordered some Petersons brass with the large rifle primers. The Petersons brass is heavier and has less capacity then the Lapua or Hornady brass but I was told that by Petersons when I ordered it. So I loaded 44grs to 46grs with R-26 and 147 ELD-M's. It really liked 46grs at 2875fps. I'm sure I could load more in these cases now that they are fired but if I keep getting results like these I'm good with that velocity.

BTW this is a Remington SA I had nitrided after the bolt was fluted and had the bolt handle threaded so I couldn't bush the firing pin hole in the bolt to run a smaller pin. It's a Brux #3 8 twist barrel in a McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill. The scope is a Zeiss 5x25 with the varmint reticle.

Attachments

• Creedmoor5shotgroup.jpg
    Creedmoor5shotgroup.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,707
  • Creedmoor3shotand4shotgroups.jpg
    Creedmoor3shotand4shotgroups.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,707
Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Excellent riflery and fine accuracy.

Those groups and that speed = awesome load. I have not even seen any 147's yet. Bullets or loaded ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a email request in a Midway and they notified me when they got them in stock.

That's awesome Nathan. Seems like 26 is really working with the 147's.

Can you show a shot of the rifle. I don't believe I've ever seen you use a flyweight 3 contour on a rifle. Sounds pretty sleek! :mrgreen:

I'll take a picture when I get home. My dad sent me pictures the last 2 days using Peterson brass, 147's, and 45.5grs of R-26. Two groups, one that was .115" and the other that was .171".

IdahoCTD":1j8x66z6 said:
I'll take a picture when I get home. My dad sent me pictures the last 2 days using Peterson brass, 147's, and 45.5grs of R-22. Two groups, one that was .115" and the other that was .171".

Sounds horrible... surprised you wanna keep it shooting like that! :mrgreen:

By Peterson brass are you referring to Alpha brass?

I am wondering how long it will take before they will ship north of the 49th or maybe they already do :wink:.
I have not heard of it up here yet but I am going to do some checking.
Thank you for the information.

Blessings,
Dan

Here is the picture of my rifle Scotty.

Attachments

• 6.5creedmoor.jpg
    6.5creedmoor.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,543
My dad informed me he shot a .088" group also. I have my work cut out to beat that. We will go long pretty soon to see what the vertical is like. The ES were pretty decent from both of our guns so it should do well at long range too. Also my dad shot a velocity equivalent load in Hornady brass and it didn't group near as well as the Peterson. I'll probably buy a bunch more of their brass in the future if it holds up like it looks like it will. I got 100 rounds of 300wm brass from their first run as well. The had a machine break and only got about 1/3 of the numbers they were expecting on the 300wm so they were being stingy with sales. They only wanted to sell me 50 rounds and I talked them into 50 for me and 50 for my dad but I kept it all. :lol: :mrgreen:

a few guys were talking about peterson brass , they seemed to think it was good so far . I don't think either had more than a few cycles on it .

nice looking rifle Nathan , and it shoot well too .

Very cool Nathan. Looks like a great packing little rifle. It has to be amazingly gentle in with the brake on it as well.

I need to break out and try those 147's. They are getting alot of great press, with most saying they are wicked pills in the 6.5's.

I'm also curious about the Peterson brass. Can't seem to find R-P brass in 260 anymore and I'm needing to replace my brass so it was going to be Lapua brass but the Peterson is a bit less expensive. I'll have to do some more digging and see if there are reports of durability and how many loads people are getting out of them.

shoots_5":3tytlnyd said:
I'm also curious about the Peterson brass. Can't seem to find R-P brass in 260 anymore and I'm needing to replace my brass so it was going to be Lapua brass but the Peterson is a bit less expensive. I'll have to do some more digging and see if there are reports of durability and how many loads people are getting out of them.

Check out the Alpha brass as well. Seems like some good reports from around the web about the stuff..

Back