Bench form revelation

ART300WSM

Beginner
Mar 19, 2017
I'm almost to embarrassed to admit this, but hopefully it will help someone to avoid the same mistake as I have been making for the last 2&1/2 decades.

Been shooting HP rifles and bolt action slug guns from the bench in the pursuit of achieving the highest level of accuracy as I could for a LONG time now. In all those years I would, like most other people have days when I shot outstanding groups and other days, not so much.

About 10-12 years ago, I finally admitted I really didn't know much about what form to use to properly shoot a hard recoiling rifle from the bench, so I invested in numerous books on the subject, but all of those books centered around either legitimate bench rifles that shot mild recoiling rounds or "F Class" rifles neither of which proved terribly helpful shooting a 8.5lb 338wm or my newest acquisition a Tikka T3 in 300wsm that with optics barely weighs 7.4lbs.

I did learn some invaluable information like using a well made front rest that adjusted for wind and elevation as well as using well made shooting bags filled with "heavy sand" along with how to properly mount your rifle in the rest and bags as well as a lot about what form to use grasping the rifle, hand placement, trigger squeeze and so on.

Basically what I had done was take the bench form used for shooting 20-40lb bench rest specific rifles and modify it for use shooting hard recoiling hunting rifles.

What I failed to learn until quite recently turned out to be the most important facts of all. I had been dissatisfied with my most recent shooting with my new Tikka. Although I was getting some great groups, I was getting more fliers than I was use to. Some of the fliers I attributed to the Tikka's lite weight, but I strongly suspected there was likely something else influencing the rifle causing my accuracy inconsistencies.

Like most people these days when confronted with a problem I sought my answer in the endless source of information AKA the internet. I read dozens of articles concerning shooting hard recoiling rifles from the bench and finally came across several that combined described certain important aspects of form and execution I was completely ignorant of.

I ended up completely rethinking how I shot a rifle from the bench and do nothing the same as I had prior to my "ENLIGHTENMENT" as I like to call it. I didn't experience any changes I would term or describe as radicle, but the changes or modifications would be best described as suddle.

But by far without doubt the #1 most important change I made to how I shoot from a bench was setting up my rifle in my rest and bags so the cross hairs perfectly bisect my target with exactly zero influence from my body.
#2-was developing a shooting form where I can maintain control of the rifle while recoiling that doesn't move the cross hairs off target.

In short I absolutely can not allow my body, no matter how slightly to force the cross hairs onto the target, the only purpose I the shooter serves is to pull the trigger without influencing or causing the cross hairs to move off target, and to maintain control of the rifle during recoil.

Once I was able to do this, my groups only got a little smaller, but the most noticeable improvements and they are IMHO for ME are huge. I know can consistently over and over shoot tiny little 3-shot groups because my number of form induced fliers dropped of dramatically and a second equally huge improvement was I can now shoot CONSISTANT 5-shot groups MOA or better.

I'm going to post a few pictures to prove my point. One will be of a six shot group where the first three form a nice small sub MOA group that would be impressive for a custom rifle let alone for 100% factory rifle to produce, then shots #4, #5, and #6 are made after I used ever increasing influence from my body to force the cross hairs back on target. I should mention at no point was the force I used ever more than IMHO greater than slight to vary slight, which proves to me just how great of importance consistent influence free bench form is.
The second target is three consecutive groups I shot utilizing my new bench form, so there is a decent possibility as I become more proficient and refine my form my groups that my groups will improve. Hope this proves helpful to those just starting out or like me, were not so blissfully ignorant.
20170608_172310.jpg
20170608_130031.jpg

Looks as if you've mastered the rifle. Congratulations. It is a sport, to be sure; but we must never forget that there is an art to delivering tiny groups.

Thanks Art, I appreciate the lesson. Lately I haven't been as happy with my shooting and I've had to lean into the gun a bit to bring the cross hairs down that last1/2 inch!
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to remind myself of some of your lessons every time I hit the range. Sometimes it will be months before I get back out and have found doing a bunch of dry firing helps me get my form back.

Really useful info, and I'm anxious to put it to work. I went from using homemade sandbags sewn out of denim pant legs and filled with sand, to a factory made sort of sled thing. Decided the butt rest was introducing weirdness, so switched to a Bullsbag for the front, and a couple of bank deposit type money bags for the back. I followed the advice and filled them all with kitty litter. Blamed my groups with inconsistency and flyers on my advancing years. Now after reading your experience, I'm going to refill all with sand. Reason being, I know that I push things around to get crosshairs on target, and these bags are too easy to push. Worth a try, anyway!
EE2

I read some more resources and went back to the Bulls Bag website. What I think I'm looking for is a "Bench Technique for Best Hunting Rifle Groups" forum!! Even on their website, there is plenty of brag, but not much about positioning, grip, trigger control, elbows and buttstock, pulling into shoulder, etc. What I did see is an insistence to NOT rest the butt on a bag when using their setup - so according to them I've been doing that wrong. If I pull the rifle into my shoulder at all, then vertical up/down motion is evident and I can only control that with breathing, elbow placement, and chest against the bench. The bag grips the forearm/stock, recoil moves the bag, and you have to reset for the next shot....Still learning, I hope, but pretty certain I'm missing something! Maybe some of you guys who were taught precision shooting on the taxpayer's dime can share some of your methods? :grin: Just kidding, but I know some on here have spent many more hours and put more thought into this than I have.
EE2

The least amount of contact you have on your gun when you pull the trigger the better. That's why bench rest shooters shoot free recoil with 2 oz triggers. But a rifle that has much recoil you have to have the butt against your shoulder. I don't like to grip my hunting rifle too tight or press my shoulder too much into the butt. This will open up your groups and cause fliers. Fliers are caused by pressure some where on the gun usually trying to push the cross hairs to the center of the target. On a hunting rifle with a round tapered fore end I like to have the the front rest a bit snug to help hold the rifle in place. You can't get good accuracy if the fore arm is loose in the front rest. Also push the rifle back into the same place in the bags for each shot. You can play around with how far you push your rifle into the front rest and find a sweet spot. A rifle with a flimsy fore arm won't shoot well with the front rest too far out on the end.
Billy

I have found that with light hard kicking rifles that jump up off the front rest or torque to the side if you hold down on top scope it really tightens up the groups. I use to think that the rifle did not move until the bullet had left the barrel but as usual I was wrong.

Disturbance starts as soon as the firing pin falls. Rifles with heavy firing pins and loose fitting bolts will jar the rifle off target before the bullet leaves the case. Heavy rifles increase the movement lag and allow the bullet to leave the barrel with less disturbance. A light weight, hard kicking rifle is not going to be easy to handle. You have to hold on to these to be able to shoot them with out getting hurt.
Billy

Great write up.

I'm with the others. Takes me a little bit to get back to shooting small groups after a hiatus.

I've found that it's VERY easy to develop bad habits, and one of the worst is fighting the rear bag to get the crosshair where you want it. Getting that all lined up first and then pulling in carefully behind the rifle works for me too.

I thought I had good form until a shot a really big recoiler. Funny how those kinds of rifles will bring all kinds of bad habits/flaws to the surface! :>)

I just got one of these. I always find myself hunched over, even with my Bulls Bag, so I think this might assist me with getting my whole platform up a little.

I found that the Bulls bag was so long and had so tight of a V that it induced torque into the rifle as I tried to shoot. My groups and shooting improved when I changed to the Caldwell Dead Shot bag in the front. No matter how much I tried to align the Bull bag toward the target, there was always some influence on the rifle.

Just my experience using the Bulls bag.

When shooting from a bench I like to set up just like shooting from a bi-pod being I am straight behind the rifle allowing the rifle to recoil straight back. Lot of benches, at least the ones I've seen have 90 degree cut outs where the shooter sets and I see lots of shooters with their chest and shoulders resting in such a position that either their chest/shoulder is unintentionally influencing the rear rest or butt of the rifle as they pull the rifle in to the shoulder.

Even though the bench I shoot from at the range looks great but it doesn't accommodate my physique and I'm leaned over trying to get behind the rifle and still keep the rifle butt on the rear bags for support. It is a one size fits all and is too low for me but I make do with what I got.
My Caldwell bag has to be set on another set of bags which are shot bags filled with spent primers left over from when I used to shoot a lot of trap. The rear bags are shot bags filled with aquarium gravel.
I need to find a sheet of rubber mat/gasket material or fish pond liner to put on the top of the bench so everything doesn't slide around. Also since the weather has warmed up I'm shooting in Tee shirts and put a 1/2" foam pad under the tee shirt to help cut down on the felt recoil with the 338Wm.
The picture shows the bench set up with the rifle leaned against it too cool the barrel.

Attachments

• KIMG0374.jpg
    KIMG0374.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 802
SJB358":2qrduhmx said:
I just got one of these. I always find myself hunched over, even with my Bulls Bag, so I think this might assist me with getting my whole platform up a little.

Scotty, this looks like a great idea, let us know how it works for you.

Good info here, Art, thanks for posting.

Sure will. Should have it in a few days. I'm looking forward to testing it out.

Back