'New' Mannlicher-Schœnauer Rifles

ElmerThud

Handloader
Jul 16, 2011
http://xn--mannlich-schnauer-b0b.com/

Just in case there are a few enthusiasts for these rifles out there, Michael Miedler now builds new Mannlicher-Schönauer versions with new machined action parts that appear to be identical to the old Mannlicher-Schönauer ones.

He's also able to supply some components including the 'Takedown pin' .. an item that's easily lost.
It all comes at a price though.. he's a one man band company based in Austria, but with a great reputation. (y)

The finest rifles every made. Man, sure hate to see that this guy makes them.............................. now I will be kept up late at night trying to convince myself that I need a few.............................

Undoubtedly, the M-S rates among the most beautiful rifles the world has ever witnessed. I am not surprised that someone sees a void and is willing to fill it ... for a price.

I agree with charles and Dr Mike. Every collection should have a 6.5 x 54 M/S full length carbine. Perhaps if my travels find me in Austria, I will visit the gentlemen. Thanks for the post Elmer

DrMike":2byy4fp3 said:
Undoubtedly, the M-S rates among the most beautiful rifles the world has ever witnessed. I am not surprised that someone sees a void and is willing to fill it ... for a price.

Certainly one needs a healthy wallet DrMike, at around €250 for a replacement Takedown pin & prices starting at around €6000.00 for a basic (if you can call such a beaty 'basic') model half stock rifle.
Nevertheless Michael Miedler's attention to detail in replicating the old MSch seems true to detail.
Wonderful really as they are such a slick action in operation & the rotary magazine, a work of art.

While I have a 'Takedown' M1903 6.5x54, I'm certainly on the look out for a good MSch 7x57 Model 1924/1925 Stutzen. Then, my rifle cabinet will be complete.
Cheers, ET

Two classics, really. Trust you are able to find the 7X57 you are seeking. Two classic cartridges, for sure.

Elmer

My grandfather had three or four of these rifles and I remember one of them was the 6.5 x 54, but I thought one of them was actually a 30-06. They are all very old rifles with the 6.5 x 54 was the oldest. My mum owns them now that my grandfather has passed.

That is a very nice rifle that you posted. The gentleman does nice work.

Elmer congratulations on your having such a fine rifle in your collection and best of luck in locating and purchasing the 7 x 57. Also Elmer, from memory didn't the 6.5 x 54 fall out of favor because it did not provide the minimum velocity required by law to hunt deer ?

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":39woeuta said:
Elmer

My grandfather had three or four of these rifles and I remember one of them was the 6.5 x 54, but I thought one of them was actually a 30-06. They are all very old rifles with the 6.5 x 54 was the oldest. My mum owns them now that my grandfather has passed.

That is a very nice rifle that you posted. The gentleman does nice work.

Elmer congratulations on your having such a fine rifle in your collection and best of luck in locating and purchasing the 7 x 57. Also Elmer, from memory didn't the 6.5 x 54 fall out of favor because it did not provide the minimum velocity required by law to hunt deer ?

Best Regards

Jamila

It's great your Mum still has these rifles, so presumably you get to use them from time to time?

That is correct Jamila, in Scotland There is a 'deer legal' minimum MV 2450 fps and ME 1750 ft lbs. The 6.5x54 using a 160gn bullet can not achieve the MV but does achieve the ME, and a 140gn bullet only just gets there with modern homeloads.

Deer don't know this of course! So in England where there is no minimum MV, only a legal ME, the round is still lgal to shoot deer.

The added problem is a 'split' rear bridge on the receiver for scoping. So, these wonderful rifles dropped out of fashion.
Some of us still appreciate them though.
Very best, ET

Very cool. I'd like one of those M-S's like your 6.5x54's. Ultra cool cartridge and rifle.

Can't wait to see a red under it this fall.

I'm really hoping so Scotty. Hoping this weekend to get Wrexham, North Wales, where the gunsmith who did the scope mounts is going to help me try to button down a load that works properly.
I think the wood/takedown lug/pin are not quite right, so some work on that we think will correct the shots that get thrown high/wide.

Here's hoping.
Very best.

Back