Springfield 84 c

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
So this rifle was given to me almost 10 years ago basically in pieces and over the course of the last 2 years or so I have been refurbishing it. That gun was quite a mess. So I refinished the stock, removed the rust from the barrel and reblued it and today I decided to assemble the gun. Here's the problem. I have an extra roll pin and no where for it to go.

The sear pivot that screws into the bottom of the breach (nomenclature?) Is broken, but is on order. The roll pin that holds the sear to the pivot is accounted for and with the sear.
The trigger is installed with appropriate roll pin. Barrel is attached to breach with both appropriate roll pins. Aaaand now I'm concerned I'm missing something else. The pin in question is considerably larger than any of the other pins I had. I referred to a numrich schematic but couldn't identify through the fuzzy picture.

If you're still with me, anyone with experience with this model, does this part stick out at you and what the heck does it hold in place?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with that rifle. You could get a parts diagram from Numrich and parts list for it.

truck driver":2hrca49q said:
Wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with that rifle. You could get a parts diagram from Numrich and parts list for it.
Thought I had included it, but I did reference the numrich schematic for it but wasnt able to make a positive identification of the pin. It was just too fuzzy. But appreciate the advice none thr less!

Lonewol417":2adbdgd4 said:
et_miller_87":2adbdgd4 said:
So this rifle was given to me almost 10 years ago basically in pieces and over the course of the last 2 years or so I have been refurbishing it. That gun was quite a mess. So I refinished the stock, removed the rust from the barrel and reblued it and today I decided to assemble the gun. Here's the problem. I have an extra roll pin and no where for it to go.

The sear pivot that screws into the bottom of the breach (nomenclature?) Is broken, but is on order. The roll pin that holds the sear to the pivot is accounted for and with the sear.
The trigger is installed with appropriate roll pin. Barrel is attached to breach with both appropriate roll pins. Aaaand now I'm concerned I'm missing something else. The pin in question is considerably larger than any of the other pins I had. I referred to a numrich schematic but couldn't identify through the fuzzy picture.

If you're still with me, anyone with experience with this model, does this part stick out at you and what the heck does it hold in place?

Nice talk about knowing your way around the concept of being gunhoe.brb

Sent from my A466BG using Tapatalk
Forgive me, as ive had very little sleep the last 2 days...but not sure I'm comprehending your post! Its either the sleep or its from scratching all the sanity out of my brain from going round n round with this roll pin. Extra parts always bug me.

Mumbu jumbo, man. As far as the ball joints im sure theyre out there. As for this gun, its old, probably from the late 70 s. Not a lot of enthusiasts around for them either. I'm not terribly familiar with this model myself but am getting there.

I've got a couple of them out at my shop. Need more pictures or description in order to help out...maybe the actual measurements of the extra pin? Does it look like this?

Attachments

• my22.JPG
    my22.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,087
That's definitely the same gun. Ill have yo throw my calipers at it and see what the specs are.

et_miller_87":3s4k1nfi said:
That's definitely the same gun. Ill have yo throw my calipers at it and see what the specs are.

You may want to go to rimfirecentral.com, join, and check and ask questions on the "Savage/Stevens" forum. Here on the Nosler forum most of the focus is on shooting equipment related to centerfire rifles, of course.
I'll help if I can.
EE2

Still working on this gun. Ordered the sear pivot that was damaged. They sent me the one on the left first, threads weren't right. Then they sent me the piece if rust on the right to replace it. Clearly not right still. The thread post will fall into where its supposed to thread without touching any of the sidewall. Looks like I'm gonna have to make a sear post myself.
e19a1c83a7a49df661c62ea5423c6d11.jpg

To anyone who may be viewing, broke down and took the barrel to the local hardware store. Really strange, but the best fitting thread is metric, m7-1.00. Ended up with a 16 Mm bolt, drilled it, ground the centet out and a little bit of filing on the sear lever, it works! Pretty happy with the overall end product. Can happily take the old reliable pit and plink away.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Excellent! Love that "Engineering in the aisle". Cool old rifle, glad you could get it back into service.CL

cloverleaf":s9y0luj2 said:
Excellent! Love that "Engineering in the aisle". Cool old rifle, glad you could get it back into service.CL
Thanks! I suppose relying on a gun part superstore would have been too easy. Had to test my ingenuity to get it done. I bought 3 bolts just in case I had to try again. Only used one. So ill call that a win.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Back