Customizing 375 H&H for Hunt

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
As of today, I am officially 90 days out to my Northern BC moose hunt.

I will be taking my recently purchased Weatherby Vanguard DGR 375 H&H rifle on this hunt. Being that I am a rifle tinker and for me this is a very expensive hunt, I am trying to customize this rifle to provide the very best tool for the job.

I ordered an in-stock, McMillan Grey Marble Sako Classic Stock for the rifle to replace the factory B&C stock. I also ordered a replacement Timney to go in place of the factory trigger. I am going have the barreled action glass bedded in the new stock.

Metal wise, it may not be needed, but to be safe I am going to have the smith install a side bolt stop in place of the factory option. Lastly, I am going to Cerakote the entire barreled action in Graphite Black.

The rifle has steel 2 piece warne bases, Leupold PWR steel rings, and a VX-R 2-7X33. In the event of a scope failure, it has the factory express sites to fall back on.

Am I missing anything? Would you do anything different?

Where in northern BC are you planning on hunting? Sounds as if you are getting serious about your cartridge and building a quality platform to launch the bullets.

I will be hunting with Gunsons Outfitter Up near the Liard River. The actual hunting area is just a few miles from the Yukon border. Canada/Yukon moose and wolf hunt. 10 days in middle of Sept.

I couldn't get the 260 partitions to shoot like I hoped pre customizations, so once its put together I will be trying again as well as 270 TSX's. The bullet that shoots the best at minimum 2700 FPS will be what I go with.

Sounds like a perfect rifle to me.
Best of luck on your hunt.

JD338

Yup, sounds like you are getting that rifle tuned up in all the right places. Should be an awesome set up once you get it back and all put together.

Can't wait to hear how it shoots for you and definitely how it works on your hunt.

I'd say you are putting together a great rifle for the hunt of a life time.
Need pictures when it's done.

Sounds wonderful to me! I think back-up irons are a great accessory for a hunt like that too. I and my friends and have used the 375 H&H quite a bit in the past. I used it on mule deer/elk here and we all used it in South Africa. By far, the bullet we used the most was the old Winchester 270 FailSafe (just like X bullets) mostly in the factory ammo, which clocked exactly 2700 in our rifles. It was perfection personified from zebra to Impala and lots of game in between. Just a good, solid killer. I later had mine rechambered to the 375 Weatherby and worked up loads with the 270 TSX. I traded that rifle to an Exotic Game Outfitter in Texas who has clients use it on Eland. It is pure poison on them! I agree with something Jack O'Conner wrote once..."every Rifleman should own/use a .375 H&H at some point in his life"...or something like that, ha. I have to add...I favor the Mono bullets but I have read where lots of flok use and like the 260PT and the 250 Swift AF, my one experience with the 300 sierra on elk was disappointing as it made gigantic exit holes ( I shot twice, once behind the shoulder and the cow just froze, so I clipped her at the top of the shoulders to keep her out of this very deep ravine nearby) Good luck to you and enjoy yourself!

Back