Visit to Dakota Rifles

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Today I'm in the Black Hills, South Dakota area. We are in the process of moving from Minot to Cheyenne, and the Black Hills are pretty close to half way.

One of the reasons I wanted to stop here was to tour Dakota Rifles facility. They are located in Sturgis, and they are making me a Remington Model 547 in 22lr. Originally I thought it would be cool to pick it up today, but I came up with the idea too late and it's not ready. No worries, I am comfortable with their timeline and there's no reason to hurry a rifle that I hope to keep for another 40 years.

I took some pictures:

Well that didn't work

Let's try this

zXd6SCI.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the pictures. That should be a great rifle, Joel. It will be a treasured firearm, for sure.

They have quite a selection of barrels on hand. The gentleman who gave us the tour mentioned they have Douglas, Shilen, and some other makers barrels, and they are happy to use any barrel maker one prefers. They will chamber barrels in any chambering, including wildcats. They will not let a rifle go out without proving it, so if someone wants a wildcat they need dies to make the brass.

They are also happy to use any barrel specs desired, such as twist rate, contour, etc.

ZcLfvcD.jpg

Aa you would expect every tool and machine is top quality. Here is a picture of the machine used to chamber barrels.

ftqcP9p.jpg

Of particular interest to my wife was their engraver. It produces some really cool work. This is the machine engraver, not the hand engraver.

h6xw9p1.jpg

Here's a poor cell phone picture of a rifle barrel being worked on for Kuiu. Dakota is making them several rifles right now.

CnBYsnP.jpg

They have quite a selection of wood blanks on hand. Wow, some really pretty pieces of wood in here.

RHC5mKb.jpg

They also use McMillan, Echols, Brown Precision, etc. stocks. If you desire any stock they are happy to use it. Everything is hand fitted and the inletting is perfect.

The Dakota 76 actions are based on Model 70 actions, so if desired a McMillan intended for a Model 70 would closely match. The Dakota 97 is based on a Remington 700 type round body receiver.

Here's a picture of the Dakota rep showing my boy inletting and hand fitting details. I can't express how impressive it is that Dakota took the time to show us their shop.

98luy8e.jpg

And here is a picture of my boy holding my Remington 547 wood stock. My wife picked the blank from pictures Dakota sent me, and they are still working on it. After holding other Remington 547 samples I'm really glad I picked one over a Cooper. The balance and weight are really superb!

405CsqJ.jpg

I'm a sucker for straight lines and contrast on rifle stocks!

In addition to the pictures we asked a bunch of questions and learned a ton. I thought a Dakota 76 would be heavier than a Dakota 97, because the 76 is based on the Model 70, but that is not the case. The wood stocked, "hunting grade" Model 76 was nimble in the hand. I may have to get one in a couple years.

I also learned Dakota can get you a Remington 700 in titanium. Those haven't been commercially available for several years, but I saw one today with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel on it.

In the end I will only carry 100% American made rifles until I have no other choice. There aren't many options left, and for a Dakota made rifle one has to pay a bit more than for another maker. But you get a top quality rifle!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your tour. Good luck in Cheyenne. I have family there and just North of there. Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities within striking distance.

Awesome pictures Joel. Keeps a fella dreaming!

What sorta triggers do they use on the 76's?

Scotty both the 76 and the 97 use a Model 70-type, open mechanical trigger. That's one of the reasons I would consider one, just to have the ultra reliable trigger.

Joel thank you for the post and tour :wink:. It looks like Dakota does quality work (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back