Iron Sights

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Why do I keep day dreaming about the front sight of my .375 settling on the bear's shoulder, and touching off the bigger rifle? The shooting situation I was finally faced with would have been great, for using sights! I've actually shot that rifle more with iron sights, than I have with a scope too.

I think somebody wants to go back, and do another Alaskan/Yukon hunt, with the bigger rifle, using sights up close... :grin:

Maybe for moose next time.

Might take me a while to save enough for a return trip!

Guy

I hear you Guy. I have an old Husky in 9.3x57 that has been around for awhile with the standard iron sights. It shoots the Norma 232 grain bullet around 2500 FPS and man, I have caught myself day dreaming about using it hunting quite alot.

I think it would be a toss up between my Husky and M71 with the receiver sight on it, if I were doing a pure iron sight hunt. A Moose would be a cool animal to hunt with a iron sighted rifle.. Gives a little more room for the bullet to get to the right spot.

Hmm. Have a fixed 3x on the 375 Number One now, and I like the factory sights just fine on that rifle too.

JB filed the brass bead flat, which has helped firm up the sight picture.

Guy

Without a doubt, iron sights on big game still means something. Candidly, I would have to employ Braille nowadays, so only one rifle remains unscopes--a 1905 Ross .303. I do dream of taking a moose with that rifle. If I can get close enough to feel his hide, I'm pretty certain I can hit him good.

I have 1 rifle that still does not have a scope on it and it is my 340C in a 30-30 :wink:. I have side mounts for her along with a 1-4 Weaver Grandslam but I just can't seem to bring myself to installing the glass on her.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, I would like to use either of these.. They stand a good chance at hunting deer/bear at home this year. Pretty short ranges most of the time..

Or the little Husky

Attachments

• husky.jpg
    husky.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 2,027
The 9.3X57 would be a potent round, to be sure (as would a 9X57). I don't know that it brings more to the game than the .348. Either would be excellent for most game throughout NA. Plus, it would be cool to tag game with these great old rounds. Don't let Cheyenne know that I gave (grudging) approval of the Model 71, Scotty. That gal would just carry the commendation to an extreme, as you know.

HA! Your commendation is safe here Mike.

The 9.3x57 is pretty neat. Kinda like the 358 Winchester really. It is a pretty accurate little bugger, even with the iron sights. It is one of the ones I need to get some ammo loaded up for and do a finalized zero check on and load a bunch of rounds for, so it is ready for hunting season. Those old Huskys (mine was made in 36 I think) are built like tanks but it feels really nice in my hands.

one of the most honest and knowledgeable men on this forum is Dr Mike, so if he recommends a model 71 who am I to disagree.

Guy, I have no idea why someone would use anything but iron sights when hunting bear or moose, -----or caribou, muskox, buffalo, walrus.

Guy also dont discount hunting goats with Gerry, or Grizzly's at the coast ( which is an entirely different bear hunt than the one you were just on), chasing Caribou with Hodgeman, Dr Mike or Gil would be another cool experience for you and you will not be disappointed with the scenery you experience on any of these hunts.

I like open sights for some things like my Marlin 39A with a 1/16 white Ivory front sight and Williams Peep sight is just a classic as is my Marlin 336 30-30. Two fun guns to shoot but I never go hunting with a 30-30 Win.
I never wanted a Muzzle loader with a scope just open sights for me.

Thankful Otter":2jb36qqb said:
one of the most honest and knowledgeable men on this forum is Dr Mike, so if he recommends a model 71 who am I to disagree.

Guy, I have no idea why someone would use anything but iron sights when hunting bear or moose, -----or caribou, muskox, buffalo, walrus.

Guy also dont discount hunting goats with Gerry, or Grizzly's at the coast ( which is an entirely different bear hunt than the one you were just on), chasing Caribou with Hodgeman, Dr Mike or Gil would be another cool experience for you and you will not be disappointed with the scenery you experience on any of these hunts.

Good stuff Kiddo.

Thanks! Guy

On a rifle peeps are about the only iron sight I can seriously use but get by with the old bead and Buck Horn when I have too to show up my 16 year old Grandson when he gets too cocky.

I learned to really shoot going through the NRA rimfire program in my youth. Peep in back and various hooded inserts up front. Later I got into archery, using a string peep and pins with beads set at various distances - the basic system used by millions of archers today. My first big game rifle and my muzzleloader had large aperture peeps (way before "ghost ring" entered our vocabulary) - and a small gold bead up front without a hood. Sighted to center the bead and put it on the target, not underneath. That system works still even for my tired old eyes! The front sight is a little vulnerable that way, but I haven't had problems.
EE2

Dr Mike, Scotty, April

speaking off the 71, is Woodleigh, North fork, and Kodiak the only options ? These three are all good, but someone who is thinking about getting a Win knockoff asked. We are using the woodleigh product (250 ) and are happy with it but I am sure the North Fork 230 would also work and Kodiak also make good bullets, but was curious if others make them, have you used them and did you like them ?

I still have two rifles with iron sights. Both were given to me by my dad several years ago. I'm the youngest of the boys in my family at 31 years old now, but I've always been in love with the classics. So when he got sick and was not sure he would get a transplant in time he split a lot of his rifles between his four kids. I didn't really pick any, so later that night he brought me three guns that was some of my favorites. A 98 Mauser sporterized and re barelled in 308, a 1954 Winchester 94 in 30/30 and his 1971 4" colt Python. I had the old Mauser rechambered to 30/06 a few years ago, and an xs ghost ring rear sight installed. The front sight on ended up breaking off, and it looks like it was held on with one screw that was rusted and broke. Also looked like it was glued. After reading this thread last night I decided to try and fix it. Cleaned the metal and roughed it up some and jb welded the front sight back on. Was very easy to get straight so I'm letting it cure now. My plan is for it to be a brush gun for deer with 180 grain cup n core bullets. I do find the ghost ring rear much easier to use than standard rear sights. So hopefully this works out and I can start carrying this rifle this deer season. It's very accurate with a great old fajen walnut stock that fits me perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the old mauser while the sight is curing.
b587fe287e943cb9d33ec7414bc19c41.jpg
4ddabd0308999fc830cccba4b8bfd643.jpg

I think a 180 grain RN Sierra prohunter will be a great round to try out in the thickets.

Very cool Mauser. I dig your idea of open sights and a heavy RN. Should thump deer pretty danged hard.

Thankful Otter":33eu9j0o said:
Dr Mike, Scotty, April

speaking off the 71, is Woodleigh, North fork, and Kodiak the only options ? These three are all good, but someone who is thinking about getting a Win knockoff asked. We are using the woodleigh product (250 ) and are happy with it but I am sure the North Fork 230 would also work and Kodiak also make good bullets, but was curious if others make them, have you used them and did you like them ?

Swift has a 348 200 grain A-Frame and I believe Hawk, Barnes and Hornady all make good 348 bullets. I'm using the Woodleighs but wouldn't mind trying the Swifts.

Back