Mom's 6.5

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Been really busy and fighting some health issues lately so havent posted. However, really wanted to share this. Ive been waiting to get a couple decent pics of this rifle. It was in Dads cabinet for as long as I can remember....but I thought Dad got it for me. Turns out he bought it for Mom long before I was around. :) It only had open sights when I showed up on the yard and asked if I could borrow it for an antelope expedition. I missed my first antelope...multiple times...I emptied that rifle at a standing goat, WAY closer than I will admit. :oops: :) Any how, eventually, I talked Dad into scoping the thing when I found the K-4 pictured. He found a guy to reforge the bolt and drill and tap it. I am fairly certain the barrel has been shortened, stock may be from something else, freckling rust in too many places.

The rifle was purchased with the inlays and vent rib and stock, sling etc....long ago. If you havent figured it out a sporterized type 99 (I think...) in 6.5 Jap.

I think its just a real cool example of a sporterized "converted" ex- military rifle. Any body ever see something like this? I assume it was a one off...but I don't know. CL

Havent had a chance to shoot it at paper yet, Don't expect much...crown is marginal, rifling is just weird, and the trigger needs a "come-a-long". Still - a cool rifle...I think. CL

I remember reading some where that after the war the GI's stationed in Japan would have local craftsmen customize the captured mil surplus rifles and ship them home to resale for a good profit. This could have been one of those but I wouldn't swear to it.

Very cool old rifle right there! I wouldn't be surprised if it shot like crazy though.

Troy,

Cool looking rifle.
Get it on paper and see what she can do.

JD338

I like it!

Harkens back to an era long past. "Sporterizing" military bolt action rifles. Diamond shaped inlays in the wood. All sorts of cool things were done by handy guys.

Saw a .30-40 Krag done up similarly, without the scope. Couldn't quite make myself buy it, but sort of wish I had.

Guy

That is a great looking rifle and it would be fun to know all the history of it before your Dad had it.
Troy you never mentioned did you eventually get a Goat :wink: with the iron sights?
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3jdr0jfd said:
That is a great looking rifle and it would be fun to know all the history of it before your Dad had it.
Troy you never mentioned did you eventually get a Goat :wink: with the iron sights?
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Tag soup that year. Wonderful fun though.Some other time I will tell the tale.CL

Guy Miner":1603zoeb said:
I like it!

Harkens back to an era long past. "Sporterizing" military bolt action rifles. Diamond shaped inlays in the wood. All sorts of cool things were done by handy guys.

Saw a .30-40 Krag done up similarly, without the scope. Couldn't quite make myself buy it, but sort of wish I had.

Guy

Exactly! A cool testament to a bygone era of gunsmithing and shooting. CL

Arisaka! One of the strongest actions in the world!!!!

Guy Miner":30vyqknf said:
I like it!

Guy

Kinda like this one..? No I don't own it. I bought it years ago for my cousin. Our first deer hunt together, he used his uncle's Krag infantry rifle on that trip. He said if he ever found one again he wanted it so this carbine followed me home. Not before I took some shots of it and with it. I remind him occ. that I made a fine inveatment for him. Today they sell for 3-4 times what I paid for it. :) Note the compass set into the stock. Cool old rifles. CL

FOTIS":t46p90ci said:
Arisaka! One of the strongest actions in the world!!!!

So I am told Fotis! You have plans to rechamber it to some fantastic 6.5 BEE super mag don't you..? :) CL

Neat old rifle! My dad served in the Pacific...they called it a "Jap 25". He had one that he ended up having to turn in at Okinawa. he was POd, ha. He said the long barreled one was pretty hard to locate in the jungle...I thought it funny that no one called them a 6.5 when I was a kid...Just a Jap 25. To them it "looked" like a 25 caliber, ha.

Grrr...Photo bucket holds me prisoner..! There are photos of some 2.5-3 inch groups, but I cant post them. I was actually pretty happy. Given That the trigger pulls an honest 10+ponds and has more creep than I can find an adjective for. Add to that a K-4 weaver of unknown parentage with a post and crosshair reticle, I was real satisfied. That dosent happen very often! Aside from the trigger, fun rifle to shoot. Recoil is a nice "long push". Dad knew what he was doing when he bought that one. Fun! CL

UPDATE- these are groups I shot. I was pretty pleased considering we were talking about a K-4 weaver with a post and cross hair reticle and a 10 plus pound trigger pull. No kidding... 2 different loads... similar groups. Fun! CL

Back