Tubbs Final Finish 338 Win Mag

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Ever since I've had my P64 338 Win Mag it's been a horrible copper fouling beast. I really didn't care too much but my problem with it was it would take 7-10 rounds just to settle back down after a good cleaning. I can hear a few saying "what's the problem, just don't clean it". Well, I really didn't unless I really was letting it sit for awhile. I DBC'ed and that had actually helped a lot but it would still take a bunch of shooting to get it to settle down after a decent cleaning. Plus, as all of know and feel sometimes, you just gotta try and work it :lol:

Well, Tubbs comes with 50 bullets, from a course starting bullet to a final burnishing bullet. 10 each of them. You're supposed to use a minimal load. They was as little deformation of the bullet as possible in order to knock down high spots. I used the lowest book load for IMR4350 I could find for a 250 grain bullet since they provide what looked like Sierra Matchkings in the kit. I loaded them up and shot the first ten. True to form the first 3-4 were all over. Then shots 5 on started coming together.

I didn't take a picture of the rest but they all clustered right in there. After the first 10 I cleaned it and noticed it felt smoother and it cleaned up much faster.

These are actually 3-5 from treatment #2. Again I didn't take a picture of all 10 but it was promising. Cleaned again, smoother and easier.

This one they are all staying relatively close. At least better.

Now we are talking. I actually started getting excited. This is the best the rifle has even done from a bare steel barrel.

That's the last 10 and there is the tiniest copper streaking. Right now I've got the barrel soaking with copper killer and once it's clean I'll DBC it again. I'm thinking I've got it about as good as I can get it.

So, if you have a rough barrel you don't wanna get rid of, give them a try. They aren't expensive and if you have the time they seem to help.

Thanks for the report. I've heard good things about the Tubbs kit but there were also the doubters who claimed it would mess the barrel up so I never tried it in the 35/AI which could have used it when I got it back and probably still could.

I used it in my 300 RUM, the barrel shot well by fouled really bad, after treatment it still shoots well but is an honest one patch clean rifle. I used the tubs system before sending it out to be nitrided. I'm a believer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent review, Scotty. I know that the Tubbs system works. Though I've never used it, I did use J-B Paste on one of my 280s that was characterized by terrible copper fouling and low velocities. It took considerably longer than the Tubbs system, but it did work eventually. The rifle became a favourite that shot very well indeed. It has accounted for quite a few deer, both whitetail and mule deer, since the barrel was "slicked up."

Nice Scotty!

I used Final Finish once on a 30-06 barrel, and it improved that one. I eventually rebarreled it but only because...well, I guess I can't really give a good reason!

Thanks Fellas, I just ran one patch soaked in CU2. Bore is BRIGHT. That makes me happy. Used to be a few days to get it spotless.

joelkdouglas":384jxqaj said:
Nice Scotty!

I used Final Finish once on a 30-06 barrel, and it improved that one. I eventually rebarreled it but only because...well, I guess I can't really give a good reason!

Joel if this wasn't an original P64 338 I would have done it.

Used the Tubbs bullets in a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero years ago. The rifle was accurate, but would foul quickly.

The Tubbs Final Finish sure smoothed it out and helped a lot!

Guy

I've done quite a few guns, but I have always used sift lead bullets that I coated with lapping compound myself. Always good results. Some people scoff at doing it, but not all barrels are non fouling wonders.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've done quite a few guns, but I have always used soft lead bullets that I coated with lapping compound myself. Always good results. Some people scoff at doing it, but not all barrels are non fouling wonders.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I just applied DBC, can't wait to get to real load work now.

The bore is very smooth though. I dig it.

Great review, Scotty. I'll have to give Tubbs a try in my 300 wsm, it shoots well, but fouls the barrel pretty bad. The Pac-Nor barrel on my 25-06 in just the opposite, very easy to clean. I believe they hand lap their barrels before installation.

Look forward to your final results, what load are you using for your 338 or did I miss that?

SJB358":2rzjmar4 said:
joelkdouglas":2rzjmar4 said:
Nice Scotty!

I hear you, no way I'd want to take that barrel off. I don't imagine Winchester made many of those!

AFG270":qfl7lb07 said:
Great review, Scotty. I'll have to give Tubbs a try in my 300 wsm, it shoots well, but fouls the barrel pretty bad. The Pac-Nor barrel on my 25-06 in just the opposite, very easy to clean. I believe they hand lap their barrels before installation.

Look forward to your final results, what load are you using for your 338 or did I miss that?

Not sure Allen. Probably going to try the Scirocco and RL17.

joelkdouglas":qfl7lb07 said:
SJB358":qfl7lb07 said:
joelkdouglas":qfl7lb07 said:
Nice Scotty!

I hear you, no way I'd want to take that barrel off. I don't imagine Winchester made many of those!

Nope. They didn't. I've still got the original stock as well.. doubt I'd ever use it though. The Legend kicks butt.

I like and believe in Fire lapping. You almost "had to" when using the old, original Barnes X bullets back when. I have even just used the last 20 'Polishing" grit bullets to smooth up even a barrel that looked very smooth and fouled little to start with. I had a little ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt that was a bad fouler with cast lead. I "made" 6 firelap bullets; I put fine valve grinding compound in the lube grooves. Bingo! Slick as a goose rectum! :) If a barrel is pretty good to start, I almost always just skipped the Coarse grit and started with the Medium all the way to Polish. A key is indeed a light charge, I often just used 5744. Good results in your 338 ol Pard!

I've used it. It definitely works to smooth out a rough bore. It will also lengthen your throat and taper the bore somewhat - which is a good thing. I'd track your length to lands especially if you use the full series starting with 'coarse'.

Scotty,
Thanks for the review. I need to give it a try in my 338 RUM.
She shoot great for about 20 rounds and than accuracy starts to go. The fouling is pretty heavy and a through cleaning is required.
Lucky she prints to the exact POI from the first shot on.
FWIW, my 280AI has a Hart barrel and cleaning is a snap.

JD338

Back