Brought another toy home.

leadchucker

Beginner
Sep 19, 2012
Well I just aquired a Tikka t3 lite in .308 win with a leupold 3-9×40 vx2, sling, Bi pod, soft case, and a 100 count of 165gr. Partitions.[THUMBS UP SIGN] for a price I could not refuse.in new condition. Have not owned a Tikka and was just wondering what you folks thoughts are on these rifles. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The Tikka is one of the finest rifles for the price that a shooter can secure. I've bought several for family members; none have disappointed me. I set up numerous Tikkas for clients; all were a joy to shoot and easy to work up a load.

That is good to hear Dr Mike! A friends father in law passed away on the weekend unfortunately and had a few guns there so low and behold I was the first one to be called.[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] well they wanted it to go somewhere that would use it and not get rid of it so...well it's home now. I'm thinking it is going to be elk medicine with the partitions if it likes them.

The .308 Win is a great cartridge, easy to work with. It can be stunningly accurate (I have had more than a few 0.100 inch groups at 100 yards with a variety of .308s. My personal best was 0.010 inches (reproducible). Oh, yeah, that put a grin on my chin. I believe you're going to like Tikka. Glad to hear that your friend thought of you.

Thank you.[THUMBS UP SIGN]that is some outstanding shooting by the way!

As Dr Mike said, they are one of the finest rifles in their price class. I currently own about a dozen in calibers from 223 up through the WSMs and have owned one in 300 Win Mag. I've only found one that wouldn't shoot right out of the box and it was a proverbial lemon.

A T-3 Lite in 308 was my first one and it has been a proven winner. If the cartridge will fit in the chamber it will shoot it well.

The 308 is my favorite cartridge and the one I started my centerfire shooting with. It's simple to load and usually not finicky.

You mentioned elk hunting with it, I took a 300 WSM and a 300 Win Mag elk hunting in 2009. I greatly appreciated their light weight when walking up and down mountains.

I think you will be very happy, especially when you get it to the range.

Ron

Have heard of very few Tikkas that would would not shoot acceptably well out of the box with factory ammunition over the past dozen years or so.

I haven't seen of or heard of a Tikka not shooting.. Sounds like you made a good score.

You won't be disappointed.
I've got 3 T3 Lites, one of them in 308.
Right out of the box they all shoot as well as any of the custom rifles I've had built.

Thanks everyone, sounds like I made a good choice. Now to start load development!

In any cartridge based on a 308 case I've had great success with Varget or RL-15. They won't always have the highest velocities but they've always given me good to excellent accuracy.

YMMV.

Ron

I'm actually reloading as we speak.lol. had some speer 165gr. Grand slams sitting here so thought I would give them a try. Speer did not list varget for this load so I am loading some up with imr4064.

leadchucker":3jzlybri said:
I'm actually reloading as we speak.lol. had some speer 165gr. Grand slams sitting here so thought I would give them a try. Speer did not list varget for this load so I am loading some up with imr4064.

Rumor has it that Federal uses 4064 in their Gold Medal Match ammo.
Can't wait to see how she shoots for you.

Me either. Gun cleaned ammo loaded..now raining and funnel cloud watch...[ANGRY FACE]

I have the same gun. You will love it. Load development was almost too easy in mine. Mine loves 165 BTs with 4064, varget, and BLC2 when I couldn't find other powders. Good luck.

What's not to like??? , Extreme lightweight, exceptional triggers, blueprinted accuracy, intergal mounting rail, clip,
Short bolt throw. I sold most of my Rugers and have replaced them with Tikkas..... (y) ... Custom Build up a gun as good as the Tikka about $3k. Just buy a Tikka $7/800. :grin:

Well started load development. 165gr grand slams were shooting 1" best group with imr 4064. Tried some 150gr ballistic tips mixed with some varget...good start.[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
a6b6b7eeebe646752f36acb2ea13cae3.jpg

Dang.... that isn't hard to like at all. Amazing how well those suckers shoot.

Seems to really like them. Varget seems to shot well in every 308win I've loaded for as well.

Oh, yeah, nothing wrong with that sort of accuracy. The .308 is easy to like for most people who shoot it.

Back