BHA Rifles

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
What would you buy and why

1. model 90 460 S & W----18 inch barrel
2. model 90A 454 Casull---18 inch barrel
3. model 89 500 S & W---16 inch barrel

none will be scoped. max yards 150 and 90% of the time much less. the 16 inch of course wins on portability, which is very important to me, but not by enough to worry about. Bear, Moose, Caribou for the most part, but wolf, muskox, buffalo and walrus also. All my rifles do double duty all the time--hunting and protection

second question, after you choice the caliber, please suggest a load for it

and please guys, I have no doubt that many before me used shotguns, revolvers, a variety of rifle
calibers, muzzleloaders, bows and even a spear, but please if the aforementioned were your only choices, which one would you choice, why and how would you load it--thank you

The 454 Casull due only to ability to shoot also .45 LC for low power practice and/or lighter game, pelt hunting. A hardcast round nose makes a very tidy exit hole. You can run a cast bullet over unique, tight group or trail boss and practice for pennies. Practice is paramount. Shooting such a cheap load and easy recoiling load, this rifle should point like a third arm after a short time.

Not super familiar with ballistics of these three rounds, but I'm sure .454 will have plenty of power for any of your above mentioned game. Comparable to deer/black bear low pressure .45-70 loads. I think Hornady makes a soft point bullet specifically for rifle length velocities in this caliber.

Polaris":1ifyto08 said:
The 454 Casull due only to ability to shoot also .45 LC for low power practice and/or lighter game, pelt hunting. A hardcast round nose makes a very tidy exit hole. You can run a cast bullet over unique, tight group or trail boss and practice for pennies. Practice is paramount. Shooting such a cheap load and easy recoiling load, this rifle should point like a third arm after a short time.

Not super familiar with ballistics of these three rounds, but I'm sure .454 will have plenty of power for any of your above mentioned game. Comparable to deer/black bear low pressure .45-70 loads. I think Hornady makes a soft point bullet specifically for rifle length velocities in this caliber.
The same thing can be done with the .460, as it is basically a stretched .454.

I'd take the .500S&W and load it with something like the 325gr A-Frames. A bit flatter trajectory for 100-150yds but still plenty of weight and frontal area for up-close. You could get 2000 fps or thereabout with a 16" barrel.

Of course, logistics plays a part in all that....but I'd have to think they're all about equal in that dept.

hseII":38bl9zm7 said:
Polaris":38bl9zm7 said:

Yep, just did some research and found that out while you were replying. In light of this, either would be a good option, I'd still lean towards the .454 for better brass availability, although it appears .454 can also be fired in .460, so maybe no gain there. Just boils down to preference I guess.

Polaris":ea7gf1al said:
hseII":ea7gf1al said:
Polaris":ea7gf1al said:

Yep, just did some research and found that out while you were replying. In light of this, either would be a good option, I'd still lean towards the .454 for better brass availability, although it appears .454 can also be fired in .460, so maybe no gain there. Just boils down to preference I guess.
id go with the .460, & have the ability to shoot all 3.

I'm with hodgeman on this. 500 S&W all the way. I would be happy with any of the three but in my opinion go big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.500 S&W, .44 mag, .45 ACP and a .22:

I like the big 440 grain Cast Performance flat nose bullet and load it a bit under max with AA#9 powder for 1400 fps from the 8" barreled revolver. I imagine it would pick up some velocity in a 16" rifle barrel, particularly without the revolver's inherent barrel-cylinder gap.

Have to admit that although I've been loading the .500 since 2003, I've shot only targets with it. Considering what I've seen a .44 magnum and a .45/70 do on deer, I think the .500 has got to be simply terrific punching through shoulders or whatever. I shot right through a thick Douglas fir stump with it.

If you want, it's not hard to download it to what can be thought of as a "500 Special" - it's simple to load, just a great big revolver case. Despite the fact that I don't use mine a lot, only a few recreational trips to the range every year, I really like the cartridge. It's easy to load. Very powerful, and very accurate.

I've looked at those BHA rifles several times and would thoroughly enjoy one! They seem very well built, and are quite handsome in appearance.

Regards, Guy

1ee0708b5f38e672e79ac3db690d9952.jpg

Here is a picture that speaks a thousand words. I poached this pic off derric moffits facebook page. This is the 500 S&W. I've wanted one of these rifles ever since I saw this picture.

thanks guys

bear,do you know what he was shooting out of it. My grandfather is looking at the 400 gr woodleigh and the 325 Swift. The more he looked at the rifle the more he liked it and therefore since it is his checkbook we will be using it is important that he is on board. Do you know if Alaska bullets makes anything in this caliber ? Personally I can not imagine anything that can not be stopped with a 325 swift

Guy, thank you that is some great guidance and information. you would use the 440 hard cast, interesting. Why did you choose that ? Also, why haven't you brought one of the rifles Guy, do you see a flaw we have not seen ?

hse11 and polaris--you have a good point about how to practice ==cheaply.

definitely something to consider, thank you.

hodgeman, pm me when you can

The 440 gr hardcast from Cast Performance Bullets was one of the original loads for the cartridge and is well proven on game by now, 13 years later. Heavy, hard cast bullets are very effective, with those big flat front ends. They penetrate very well and inflict a lot of damage. No real need for expansion when starting out with a .50 caliber flat nose bullet.

The only flaw in the design of the rifle, involves my wallet not being full enough for me to indulge... :grin:

bear - I too remember that photo. It makes a statement.

Guy

I'm with Guy, the big hardcast do tremendous damage. They also penetrate like there is no tomorrow. The 255 gr and 300 gr in a 44 magnum are wicked on deer. I can only imagine what a big 440 gr can do. No need for expansion when you start out with a 50 cal diameter.

Guy and Cleveland. your experience with the 440 cast and pelt and meat damage or lack thereof.

Dr Mike, can we get these ?

Sadly - I've only shot my .500 at targets.

Re it's effectiveness on game - I am relying on what others have experienced.

Guy

Thankful Otter":6px2fhkg said:
Dr Mike, can we get these ?

I would assume they would be a special order through your supplier. However, they should be able to be brought in for you.

Your grandfather can bring ammunition across the border--Canada customs does want to know what he is bringing in. However, Homeland Security in the US would be quite tense if he should be caught transporting said ammunition across the border. He would face penalties and/or jail time for such a breach. All ammunition needs to go through a licensed broker to satisfy US Homeland Security.

On the deer I've seen shot with them you can almost eat up to the hole lol. It's mostly a big clean round hole in and out.

For the price that BHA is charging for their rifles,I would get a Marlin 1895 .45/70 and call it good.

But that is my opinion.

Ken, I used the Marlin 1895 45/70 before the 348 came along, and still have it. they are very nice rifles.

hodgeman, your thoughts about the 440 hardcast ? Bear78, same question ? Also Bear do you know what load was used in the 500 S & W in reference to the bear picture you posted ?

Scotty, Dr Mike, Hodgeman, Nathan, Dewey, Bear78, Gill, Guy and any and all others who hand load

500 S & W out of a 16 inch barrel

440 Hardcast, 325 Swift, 400 Woodleigh----which were the ones mentioned on this thread---at 50to 100 yards--does it matter ? I am serious and curious, as I am not as knowledgeable as others here about this.

Back