Suppressor visitation day

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I finally got a chance to shoot my suppressors. My dealer had a suppressor visitation day, met us at a local range and let us try out our suppressors while we wait for our tax stamps.

It was great. I got the typical POI shift of 2 MOA lower than my unsuppressed POI. Dead on left/right but 2" low at 100. I hear this is fairly common with the thunderbeast.

I used two loads, a reduced load that I hoped would be sub sonic and my hunting load. The sub load was using trail boss and a 150gr FN. unfortunately it was clocking at 1212fps so just over the speed of sound. It impacted 10 MOA lower than my full power load but was easy to holdover and reasonably accurate. Shot about 2.5" at 100. It was like shooting a rimefire, no recoil and very little noise.

My hunting load continues to shine. I ran it over my buddies magnetospeed chronograph to compare with mine. It got a 10 shot average of 2623fps with an SD OF 6.8. Not too shabby. 5 shot groups running 1/2-5/8".

I also got to try my 22 suppressor on my 22/45 tacsol. Using standard velocity ammo it was extremely quiet. The added 6" really helped the balance of the 22/45. I have a burris fastfire II on this pistol. Aside from the 2 foot drop at 100 yards it was fairly easy to hit a clay pigeon. It shoots much better than without the suppressor. I attributed this to the better balance.

I just can't wait until the damn tax stamps come in.

192160ef753a58b9bfb66f1fde044d89.jpg

7950b697d54ec215a4d2fe964f3342e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That has to be exciting. It will be good to see your assessment in full after you have the stamp. Great stuff!

What's your thought on the Thunder Beast Ultra compared to something like a Silencerco Omega?

Getting ready to make this plunge myself.

I did a lot of looking around and asking about different suppressors. I heard that TBAC was the best around when it came to accuracy and precision. I heard others mentioned but more often then not it was TBAC.

The 7-9" ultra will handle basically anything out there, even the big cases and were generally lighter than most other cans. The CB adapters make swapping one gun to another easy and accurate. It screws down tight onto a shoulder in the break with less chance of issues that most QD type brakes can have.

I just figured if I had to wait a year anyway I might as well shell out the money for the best one out there.

As pertaining to your light 6.5 I would look to the 7" ultra from TBAC. They make a 6.5 version but I would opt for the 30 because you could use it for anything 300 RUM and down.

It was 2595 at 6/7 feet before with my conventional chrony, 2623fps with magnetospeed at the muzzle. Seem probably pretty close to same

"Visitation Day" :grin: Love it!

I'll bet it was great to get out there with the new toys. I've got to set some money aside for a suppressor and get going on that...

Guy

That would be a hoot, just wondering if it changes the felt recoil as well?
I doubt that with our gun laws here in Canada that we will ever get to use the suppressors north of the 49th.
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

It acts like a large sealed muzzle break, noticeable reduction in perceived recoil.

sask boy":1mh4h3l7 said:
That would be a hoot, just wondering if it changes the felt recoil as well?
I doubt that with our gun laws here in Canada that we will ever get to use the suppressors north of the 49th.
Thank you for the post and photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, the last I knew those who had a license for a suppressor before 1995, was still able to use theirs. There is also several petitions circulating around attempting to get the required signatures to allow this law to be reversed. Dr Mike might know more than I about this but for some reason the suppressor black market seems to alive and well in B.C.

Bear78, will your stamp allow you to hunt any animal in any zone in Alaska, as well as target shoot ? Is the stamp only valid in the state of Alaska or can you use the rifle and stamp in other states ?

Federal stamp but there are state laws that also can have effect. Most states legal to hunt with suppressors.

State of Alaska has no restrictions on them.

Back