Picking three calibers from one developer

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
This was fun. Back with the group of old gentlemen and we had a great time arguing about the perfect rifle combination and woman. for this thread we will discuss the best rifle combinations. first I will tell you what won with the group of older gentlemen in a bar in Europe.

1. 275, 300, 375 H & H
2. 25-06, 30-06, 35 Whelen ( all from the 30-06 case ) I know this is not exactly from one developer
3.. 243, 300, 338 Win
4. 257, 300, 340 Wby
5. 6mm, 7mm, 8mm Rem Actually this one only got one second place vote

Which would you have chosen as your number one ? Or by all means, add another one that you think is better from one developer

I chose Number one first and Number four as 2nd, but was intrigued and tempted to vote for number 2 as my second choice

First, they are all good families. Only 1&2 offer more than 338. (375 H&H, 35 whelan)

If I had to pick for North America, it's #4.

If I need to plan for Africa, the I go with #1 H&H. Bout time I was Number 3, would rarely get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If going from one developer, with#2, should it not be the 25-06, the 280 and the 35 Whelen, all being legitimized by Remington?

I would think that others may also include #6 as the 243, 308 and 358 Winchesters, excluding dangerous game in Africa.

And on that note, #7 would be the 264, 338 and 458 Winchester Magnums.

To move away from one developer and give the thread a slightly different twist; 3 cartridges based on one case, as suggested by #2 above:
I would choose for all big game to be #1; 7mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag and 416 Taylor
And #2; 25-06, 280 and 338-06

I have to believe that Remington would have gotten more than 1 measly vote if their list were revised to include the .223, .25-06, and 7mm mag.

In todays world of bullets that are available and the excellent powders that are out there, there is absolutely nothing in NA that choice #2 hasnt got covered nicely.

nicely done Gil

Hodgeman, I doubt if they have even heard of Nosler calibers, some of these fellows probably quit hunting 20 years ago.

Ray, no---lol

Earle, without a doubt

oh and btw==for what it was worth Bridgette won the woman part and Sophia came in second

Today they discussed hunting in various countries, and America and Africa were their favorites.

I will miss them

Jeepers, no one loves the WSM family?

7mm, 300, and 8mm?

We are so fortunate to have so many great choices!

Europe":2xytj3b9 said:
oh and btw==for what it was worth Bridgette won the woman part and Sophia came in second

Ha! Bridgette only won because she showed more skin. Sophia and Elizabeth might have been a harder choice. (y)

Dr Mike, I remember my father and mother getting into an argument one time about Elizabeth. I remember mom telling dad he would have been sorry if he had married her because she doesn't know how to cook and she wasn't even jewish. I remember us kids hiding and laughing as she took him to task because of something he said about her.

April, I like number 4, I have number four

hunternyny":1ehql6sm said:
Dr Mike, I remember my father and mother getting into an argument one time about Elizabeth. I remember mom telling dad he would have been sorry if he had married her because she doesn't know how to cook and she wasn't even jewish. I remember us kids hiding and laughing as she took him to task because of something he said about her.

Your mother made some excellent points. Did anyone of her multiple husbands marry her for her abilities in the kitchen? :? Her faith (and even faithfulness) attributes were likewise questionable, at best. :shock: In her day, she was a looker, though. :mrgreen:

John, Dr Mike is correct on all points. I am positive your dad was not wondering "I wonder if she can cook ?" Trust me it never crossed his mind. She was a head turner, that is for sure.

I know her number one film was Cleopatra. But my two films I liked that she was in were

Giant and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

As an aside, I also like Burl Ives in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. "What is that smell ? I think I smell audacity ". Dr Mike, I also loved him in Big Country--as he throws the shotgun on the floor in front of his enemy---"Here, if you want to start--start now "

This is my thread and if I want to change the course of it, I will lol

I am a Whelen type guy :wink: but man I love the old calibres so I would go with 275, 300 & 375.

Blessings,
Dan

David, you can do anything you want on my thread even discuss Elizabeth Taylor, if your old enough to remember her.

David, actually you would not need to fudge the 6, 280, and 338-06 would not be chopped liver, you would be just fine without the 30-06. A few things A-Square did were pretty good and the 338-06 was one of them. their triad of bullets were not

I'd have to go with #1 those are the classics for a reason. Those three have pretty much hunted the world in the old days. And with modern bullets they would only be even more effective.

Well I have #2 sort of, 257Roberts- 30-06 and the 35 Whelen /AI unless you want them all based on the same cartridge family , 2 out 3 isn't bad.
As for ET we always said she had more finger prints than the FBI. I sort of favored Maureen O-Hara and Katherien Hepburn both very classy Ladies and had that mischievous look in their eyes.

Back