.308 Win Camilla to the range

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Met my friend at the range, it was time to sight-in her .308 Win Camilla since she'd upgraded her scope to a 4-12x Swaro. Wow! Nice scope!

Dx9DlV7l.jpg

We had some handloads I'd made up with the 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, with 44, and 45 grains of Varget, and also had a couple of boxes of Federal ammo, with the 165 gr Sierra SPBT Gameking. I neglected to use the chronograph, but we got her rifle zeroed at 200 yards.

n02mc4Fl.jpg

At 100 yards the factory ammo showed some pretty serious accuracy... From a lightweight hunting rifle on a bipod!

XenJkmrl.jpg

My handloads were on a par with that, but no better. For her final shot of the morning, she rang the 300 yard gong with one shot. Not bad!

Guy

That is a classy setup that just flat shoots. I like it.

You'd have to work very hard to concoct a scenario in N. America that rig wouldn't be more than adequate for.

Best of luck to your friend in the upcoming season!

A very productive session, Guy. Looks as if she is into a setup that is both classy and seriously accurate.

I was a little startled at the accuracy... I fired that group, she fired another that was a bit under 3/4", both with the Federal ammo. We got the skinny sporter barrel too hot, but the little rifle did great. 30 rounds through it today. That was enough for this hot, sunny day.

I'd loaned her my 6x Leupold, and we'd zeroed the rifle with that last month. I fully expected her to use that scope all season. Nope, she called me up and said "Hey Miner, come get your scope and let's sight-in "My Swarovski!"

She said "my Swarovski" with such pride, I cracked up. Collected my poor old Leupold, and helped her get the Swaro all dialed in.

I felt like an idiot when I was driving home, and realized that I'd just left the chronograph in the back of the Jeep. Never used it today. Federal shows that 165 gr ammo at 2700 fps. From the Camilla's 20" barrel, I'm expecting more along the lines of 2600 - 2650. We will see.

Regards, Guy

That is a great setup and the lady can shoot as well. If she is getting that kind of accuracy and she does not shoot a whole lot it would be good for her to pick up a few boxes of factory and go with that :wink:. Just a thought (y)

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":hi0xubvw said:
That is a great setup and the lady can shoot as well. If she is getting that kind of accuracy and she does not shoot a whole lot it would be good for her to pick up a few boxes of factory and go with that :wink:. Just a thought (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, I shot the group in the photo, she shot one that was about 3/4" with the Federal factory ammo...

I did give her some handloads, but for now she's just going to keep using that Federal stuff. Apparently the Weatherby barrel likes it! (y)

She shoots handguns regularly, but this is her first rifle. She's intent on becoming a hunter.

Guy

Holy smokes Guy, that is very impressive. Half MOA is excellent accuracy.
Glad to see the gals shooting, we need more of them!
Well done sir.

JD338

...I've killed a number of elk & mule deer w/ the 165gr. Sierra HPBTs, excellent accuracy & terminal ballistics. You might suggest the 165gr. Federal Fusion for practice rounds, wouldn't surprise me if they shot to the same POI a bit cheaper...

Way to go Guy! Nice that she has joined the ranks. Just have to get her posting on this site now too!

That Weatherby shoots pretty darn well.

Back