Mossberg Patriot

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Helped a new shooter/hunter sight-in her new rifle this morning. She bought a "used" but unfired bolt action Mossberg from a mutual friend. He'd set it up with a 4-10x Nikon scope on Weaver bases. The rifle had a stainless action & barrel. The barrel was fluted, and equipped with a muzzle brake. He'd also put it in a laminated stock.

After a while of getting used to how a bolt action rifle works, and learning how to properly get behind the scope, she started doing real well. In fact, after getting it sighted in, she shot a 2" group, at 200 yards, from a bipod on a benchrest. Not half bad for a bargain rifle with factory ammo.

Her ammo was Remington "Hypersonic Bonded" in .270 Winchester, with the 140 grain bullet at an advertised 2973 fps. She went through a box of 20 cartridges today, and it shot real well at 100 & 200 yards. She couldn't quite manage to hit the 300 yard gong, I think shooter fatigue was kicking in by that point. She has several more boxes of this stuff, and I'd like to run some over the chronograph to learn the actual velocity.

The rifle impressed me. I hadn't spent a lot of time with a Mossberg bolt action. The trigger pull was decent. The bolt got smoother throughout some dry firing and actual shooting. The stock is comfortable, and adds some weight. With the laminated stock, and the muzzle brake, the recoil from the .270 Winchester was quite minimal. The detachable magaine worked flawlessly, holding 5 .270 cartridges. Overall, I'm impressed.

She's hunting with her husband this year, but wanted to come to me to help her get started with the rifle. I'm glad she did, it was a great way to spend the morning!

Regards, Guy

I have set up three or four Mossberg rifles. A couple were the earlier ATR model and the others were the Patriot model. I found all to be surprisingly accurate and a true value purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up for my grandchildren if I didn't already have them covered.

Little brother has one in a 243. Pretty accurate rifle. I like the detachable magazine. Feeds pretty danged slick.

That is just plain Awesome Guy!

I hope someday I have the opportunity to give back to people who want to learn like you have managed to do. Great job!

Outstanding value for the money. Very accurate right outta the box. They have hit a home run with this little gun for sure. Holds extra rounds over the Ruger American n Thompson Venture ...... if you where to simply pay to have your bolt spiral fluted and barrel fluted at market rates they are basically "throwing in" the rest of the gun for Free!

pre6422hornet":53mng7wx said:
That is just plain Awesome Guy!

I hope someday I have the opportunity to give back to people who want to learn like you have managed to do. Great job!

Well, she's been a friend for over 20 years. We worked together as cops, in some hairy situations. I was the "Rangemaster" for the police department for many of those years and I'd helped her with handgun, shotgun and AR-15 shooting over the years.

She'd just never used a scoped, bolt-action rifle before.

So... She's learning! I'm flattered that she asked me to help.

Regards, Guy

Back