My buddies Proof barreled Remington

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
I have a buddy who is a plumber and my septic system went out so we did some horse trading. He wanted a 5R Remington he had rebarreled with a Proof carbon fiber barrel and put back in a Christensen stock he had plus do some work on a Christensen rifle he had and I needed to hook up to the city sewer. Last week I built his gun and he helped me with my sewer. He sent me a picture of the first time he shot it. The bottom group is 210 Bergers jammed .015" into the rifling like his 5R barrel liked. The middle group is 215 Bergers .015" off the rifling and loaded hard on the bipod and the top group is the same 215 Berger load but with the bipod loaded soft. The top group is .213". Not bad for the first 9 rounds through the gun.

Attachments

• Jeremys300wm.jpg
    Jeremys300wm.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,301
Not bad at all. In fact, pretty Skookum! Good job on the rifle, and a good trade.

300 Win mag Scotty. Sorry I thought I put that in there. I'm building myself basically the same gun tomorrow and hopefully it shoots that good because I want to take it to AK for our moose hunt next month.

FOTIS":j0f3408a said:
Loaded soft????? Loaded hard???

Referring to how hard the shooter is leaning into the bi-pod I'd imagine, or that's what it means to me. When shooting the M249 SAW I'd try to break the bi-pod legs by putting as much load as I physically could on it, that made the automatic weapon more controllable during full auto fire. The only thing I'd worry about those groups is if the POI changed that much between a "hard" and "soft" load on the bi-pod.

Other than that very nice shooting.

Yeah it's pre-load on the legs of the bipod. I think he was trying to adjust the scope as he shot since it was the first 9 rounds fired.

Well, if he didn't clean it to bare metal after every shot, then that 9 rounds "ruined it!" lol Just kidding, I know some get their panties in a wad over how a barrel is broken in. I used to agonize over it...those days are long gone! ha. Great shooting on your friends part but great Gunsmithing on yours Pard!

He use to do the one and clean thing to break in his barrels. I told him to just to shoot it. He did it and it didn't hurt his accuracy.

Back