Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
going to pick up another one

do you think I would be just as happy with the newer ones made by Browning as an original one like the one I have now. Unlike some of you fellows I am not able to run over to a gun shop and look at a several different rifles and compare them

I know Fotis and Scotty have a 348 but I was wondering if, when you fellows were checking them out, did you look at both ( Win and Browning ) and what was your thoughts when comparing them . thank you

From a purely practical perspective....

The Browning 71s are made by Miroku and the machining work is first rate... much tighter tolerances and a better fit and finish than the original guns.

For a hunting rifle- they are just as good (and maybe a bit better) than an original.

They lack the panache of an original 71 but since you're looking to hunt with it... probably a bit cheaper and a bit better for that purpose.

I only have an original made in '52. A friend has a Browning. While it is nice I prefer the older Winchester. If I couldn't find one for a somewhat reasonable price I'd settle for a Browning.

hodgeman":1j784mq6 said:

The Browning 71s are made by Miroku and the machining work is first rate... much tighter tolerances and a better fit and finish than the original guns.

For a hunting rifle- they are just as good (and maybe a bit better) than an original.

They lack the panache of an original 71 but since you're looking to hunt with it... probably a bit cheaper and a bit better for that purpose.

This. Wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of the Browning marketed 348s.

hodgeman":1p3mhnd1 said:

I agree 100%. Plus my browning was offered to me NIB at a phenomenal price! :mrgreen:

Hodgeman, Lefty, Dr Mike,Fotis, thank you

This is what I needed to hear, as that is the way I was leaning but needed input from those who have the Browning.

Hodgeman, we have a couple of older fellows up here who claim the 348 was a very well used and liked rifle in Alaska at one time. But not now, it fell out of favor for what reason do you know ?

Fotis and everyone --I have said this before but will say it again. How in the world do you fellows keep your rifles looking so nice ? All the rifles you guys post pictures of look so nice, beautiful actually. My hats off to you gentlemen

Thankful Otter":3em1di1j said:
Hodgeman, we have a couple of older fellows up here who claim the 348 was a very well used and liked rifle in Alaska at one time. But not now, it fell out of favor for what reason do you know ?

They were pretty popular up here back in the early 20th century and several enterprising guys had a cottage industry converting them to wildcats like the .450 Alaskan.

Once the 71 was discontinued and the scope sighted bolt gun became more common, the 71 fell out of vogue. I know a couple of guys who will dust one off and carry it on a hunt occasionally, but it's not the heavy lifter it once was.

Once the rifle scope got reliable and the magnum era of the 50's happened- everyone wanted a scoped rifle that shot fast and far...the 71 was relegated to heirloom status for the most part after that.

Thankful Otter":1edpt2i2 said:

Fotis and everyone --I have said this before but will say it again. How in the world do you fellows keep your rifles looking so nice ? All the rifles you guys post pictures of look so nice, beautiful actually. My hats off to you gentlemen

I fall b4 the gun does! :mrgreen:
Unless my gun was purchased in other than pictured condition, all of mine look like that except the AR-15 and AK47

Ya, the Model 71 wasn't a high-production rifle. Only made for about 22 years I think, and never in big quantities.

Also, other cartridges came along which pretty well duplicated the ballistics. The compact/hard-hitting .358 Win comes to mind. It was offered in both the Savage 99 and the Browning BLR, which were good with either sights or a scope.

.348's are a pretty rare bird anymore. I'm glad Browning brought out their reproduction years ago. Late 1980's, early 1990's.

Here's a short, interesting article about the Model 71's: http://www.guns.com/2011/03/11/winchest ... -original/

Guy

Re why our rifles aren't as battered Young Otter... :wink:

We don't use them every doggone day! :mrgreen:

My rifles live in a gun safe, in an air-conditioned home, and only come out for practice sessions at the range or for hunting. Maybe a month every year of hunting, sometimes only a few days.

Mine go from their sheltered gun safe, into a padded gun safe, ride in my Jeep to the range. Get shot, get cleaned, and go back into the gun safe.

Now my handguns? Especially the old Kimber? Oh ya, that one looks beat up, because it is! It's carried almost every doggone day...

Guy

Guy, good point lol. I do use my rifles and not always as a rifle. Scotty, Fotis and even you Guy might have a heart attack if they saw me sometimes using my rifle for things it was not intended to do LOL However on the flip side I bet there are a few others here who can relate and have in fact used their rifles for purposes other than shooting and hunting

Dr Mike, an assist please. You can save me some research time. Did the 356 come with a large loop ? Have you ever seen one revamped to a large loop if they didn't come that way from the factory ? Since I have the 45/70 and the 348, would the 356 give me anything different, better ? I like the 348, but was thinking of either getting a new one or a 356 and then I started thinking too much.

Fotis, I respect your love for your rifles. However, to be honest I have used my rifle to keep me from falling and even as a trekking pole upon occasion ----I can see you grimacing as you read this lol

Hodgeman, thank you, sent you a pm

Thankful Otter":3ceso1b4 said:

Dr Mike, an assist please. You can save me some research time. Did the 356 come with a large loop ?

Nope and I have looked at dozens and owned 7 of them in the past

FOTIS":1ho6l266 said:
Thankful Otter":1ho6l266 said:

Dr Mike, an assist please. You can save me some research time. Did the 356 come with a large loop ?

Nope and I have looked at dozens and owned 7 of them in the past

Thank you sir! I think I will stick with the Browning 348 then

as an aside, my grandfathers sister's, daughter's husband ( who passed away recently ) had a 243 and 308 Sako Finnwolf, that they say I can have, since they know I am starting a lever action rifle collection. He came up a couple of years ago in the spring with my grandfather and was originally only going to stay for two weeks and ended up staying for two months. He was going to come back this summer with our grandfather but he passed away a few months ago. Anyway, if they do end up with me, they will probably be the first "gun safe" rifles I will own, as they are both a little lite to hunt with

I'm just hoping that ol' Fotis gives me a heads up when he decides to off-load that .348, and that I have some cash on hand. That rifle has some serious "cool factor" built in.

Otter - some of my rifles show wear, but probably nothing like yours. More like little scars & scratches and wear marks here and there. The .308 "Green Machine" is finished with a simple Krylon spray-paint job, and used to get painted pretty much every year. Since I'm no longer on SWAT, the rifle and I have both lived a more cushy life.

Guy

I like my Browning. It's the carbine model and points like a good shotgun.

The 308 Finnwolf wouldn't be horrible with good Bullets in it. They are usually very accurate.

Fotis is correct--the Winchester Big Bores didn't have the big loop lever as an option. Still, gotta' say that I do enjoy my Big Bores.

Model 71 Brownings are quite possibly the worst rifle I have ever handled :wink:

Absolutely love mine. A carbine I picked up NIB 5 years ago. Trigger is a dream and the lyman peep sight on top points fast and shoots true.

If any of you are inclined to give away one of your .348's, please look in my direction, as I will gladly take them off your hands! [emoji12]

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Back