3 weeks out - 375 moose/grizz rifle ready to go...

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Leupold knocked it out of the park and had me a new scope in hand in a week (VXR 2-7X33 went bad on the 375 H&H) after explaining I had a moose/caribou/grizz hunt in BC coming up very quick and this was the rifle I was taking. (Much Respect to Them)

So I got it mounted in a little better system (Warne steel bases and permanent steel rings). It had always shot 260 partitions well behind R15, but I have recently started playing with n540 and wanted to work with that with the 260 partitions. I had been playing with loads and found one prior to the scope going bad, now was time to verify.

Hornady Brass, CCI 250, 77.0 grains, 260 partitions - Loaded 14 bullets - 3 groups under 3/4", best at a 1/2", 5/5 on a 300 yard gong, 2890 average (4800 foot pounds at muzzle), ES - 15FPS. Warm load, but not hot nor unsafe - Hurts the shoulder!!!!

We are ready for any moose that walks!!! or caribou...or grizz...

Rifle is a Weatherby DGR with 24" Barrel, NECG sites, Timney trigger at 3#, bedded and floated in a Sako Classic McMillan. 2-7x33 VXR scope.

7iDYZR1.jpg

H7yz2Ki.jpg

DVBl9JN.jpg

You've got a lot of power there. And good accuracy.

Should be good to go! Best of luck!

Looking forward to the hunt report.

Guy

Sweet looking rig!
Bust of luck to you on your hunt.

JD338

Best of luck.
I look forward to your hunt report.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to post lots of photos of all the game you take
With that load of yours. Best of luck.
E

That is mighty fine velocity and accuracy from the 375 H&H. (y)

You could hunt the world with that rifle...

Looking forward to your photos & hunt report, and a bit envious as I'm not heading back north for some caribou & moose hunting this fall.

Regards, Guy

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts! IdahoHunter8.

Most impressive and well done.
Best Wishes and Good Luck on your hunting trip.

Doh!
Homer

I had been hesitant to share my trip because long story short - it was a failure/a dud....

I hunted in some Amazing country and put in 84 miles on the horses and another 37 on foot according to my gps. The guides and horses/camp were good and I had no problem with them at all or any of the accomodations or how/how hard we hunted (hunted our butts off), but I hunted sun up to sun down for 10 days and saw 1 cow moose and 1 black bear. I understand its hunting, but I at least expected to see a bull moose. It was not the trip I had in my head for sure....

Bummer! Where were you hunting? It does sound as if you put in the effort, but if the population is down, it is down.

I put in long hours yesterday and saw zero moose and zero elk. We saw two black bears and mulies and one long whitetail doe. No tags filled. Weather was fine. It was a full moon, which can make for some tough slogging, but the animals just didn't cooperate.

idahohunter8":35d27gj1 said:
I had been hesitant to share my trip because long story short - it was a failure/a dud....

I hunted in some Amazing country and put in 84 miles on the horses and another 37 on foot according to my gps. The guides and horses/camp were good and I had no problem with them at all or any of the accomodations or how/how hard we hunted (hunted our butts off), but I hunted sun up to sun down for 10 days and saw 1 cow moose and 1 black bear. I understand its hunting, but I at least expected to see a bull moose. It was not the trip I had in my head for sure....

Wow - that's tough to take. I know you had a lot of effort (and probably money) in this hunt. Sorry you didn't see more game. I was really looking forward to hearing about how well your rifle & load performed on big game. Doggone it.

Well, there will be more hunts! I've had my share of hunts that didn't work out.

Hmmm... Just had an amusing thought cross my mind, about you using that 375 on coyotes... :twisted: Why not? Shoot out a little frustration!

Regards, Guy

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful but don’t take it as a total loss. I’m sure it was still a great experience.

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful but don’t take it as a total loss. I’m sure it was still a great experience.

Back