Mod 70 Question?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Back in the early 1980's, a friend of mine bought a new Mod 70 in .338 Winmag. I mounted his 2x7 Redfield on it and worked him up two loads. The Speer 200 and the Sierra 250. It was one of the most brutal recoiling devils I have ever shot! It worked me over but good! Fast forward to early 1990's, my first 338 was a Ruger M77 MKII, and it was actually very easy to shoot, certainly no worse than a 300 mag. I took a Mod 70 SS in 338 to a friend in South Afr4ica and it was easy shooting too. I see this new "Sporter" Model 70, and I was wondering if anyone had shot one in 338 or bigger? I'm just curious if it has a better designed stock now? I do like the 26" bbl on them now. I'm done with brakes, though I still like Mag Na Porting. Just curious?

Jim, my P64 had the original stock, a McM copy of that and now a Legend. The Legend is like having a muzzle brake on the rifle. It's really a,axing but it's cut to my LOP. I'd say it's more stock design and length that make recoil seem harsh than the actual cartridge. My favorite stock is the Model 70 Sporter. Even being a touch short it still shoots like a dream.

Makes me wonder if your friends 338 was a light weight sporter. My Ruger Hawkeye surely is no light weight but I don't care to shoot more than 20 rounds out of it at the bench when on the other hand my 35Whelen/AI M70 and I shoot it till I run out of ammo using heavier bullets.
I have changed how I shoot it off the bench in that I wear a piece of closed cell foam packing material that came in a box with other packing material and really takes the bite out of it. Haven't shot it off hand yet but I don't expect it to be any different the 35/AI.
And as you know I don't use mild loads in my rifles. The Ruger was in a poly factory stock as was the Winchester but have been upgraded to carbon fiber stocks with metal action blocks.
I wouldn't pass one up if the price was right.

SJB358":1bsbyx7v said:
but it's cut to my LOP.

What's that, about 15" ? :mrgreen:

No doubt about it, stock design and fit plays a huge role in perceived recoil.

Guy

Back