WHAT'S THE SMALLEST OR BIGGEST ANIMAL YOU'VE TAKEN WITH YOUR

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I would like to hear your stories about game, and loads used in your Marlin 1895 .45-70.
I recently purchased one, and am itching badly to shoot and hunt with it.
I'm in S. Central Texas, and have several animals I can think of to use it on, but would like to hear from those who own one, or its brother the Marlin 444.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

405gr kodiak bonded with h322 for 1925 fps. Very effective load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1z931zw0 said:

I'm betting that is extremely effective. What have you shot with that load, if I may ask?

I shot thru a 18" round spruce, but never killed anything with it. My buddy has killed a couple brown bears with his

Outstanding! It's a show stopper no doubt.
Thank you for sharing! I appreciate it.

Thebear_78":p4vrcutp said:

on both ends
:lol:

I've heard that the .45-70 makes the deer roll from being hit. I want to witness that.

I always use starline brass. It's thicker and stronger than other brands so reduce powder charges by a couple grains. The Remington bulk 405gr bullet will shoot to the same POI as the kodiak bonded for cheaper practice ammo. Have you put any thought into what your going to do for sights or optics?

I would like to put an aperture sight on it. I don't want to put a scope on it. I want to keep it kinda traditional on sight choice. I know, call me odd, but that's me.

I was thinking on using Starline brass, and the Hornady 350 grain. RNFP FTX.

I like the ghost ring setup myself. Paired with scout scope or conventional scope setup. There are several good options out there. Wild West guns, XS, brockmans, and skinner all make good sights for the Marlin.

I really like a ghost ring with a rounded hood and fiber optic sight. That ring in a ring makes it really easy to get centered fast.

Here are a couple of my marlins.
3a6cbc94c116a3145f121fa6aeca6dba.jpg

56715ab0811072cecb32395b399ce05c.jpg

Those are some beautiful Marlins The bear! I will certainly take a look at what you suggest.

I'm shooting 400 grain Barns Busters in mine. I forget the load date but it's running 1900+-. I haven't shot much with it, ground squirrel, coyotes, 1 deer and a bunch of porcupines.

Does the 400 and 405 pop little stuff, or just leaves a humongous hole in them?

Nice thing about non expanding large slugs, you can usually eat right up to the hole

A cheap cast bullet over trailboss powder makes for a recoiless 22lr on steroids

Back