Copper cleaning

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Do u guys clean until there's no copper in your rifling? I feel like an over-cleaner but I can seldom get my rifling copper free.

I run a couple jags and nylon brush with Butch's bore shine, then 2 patches of Montana copper killer and soak for 15 then a brush with copper killer, then alternate jags of copper cream and copper killer about 5 times and I could do that all day and still get faint blue stripes on my patch and see copper in the rifling in the tip of my barrel.

I never cleaned this thoroughly until I started shooting all copper bullets.

I use Boretech Copper eliminator and carbon cleaner.
I clean the carbon out first and then soak the bore with the copper eliminator leave set as long as I want and then wipe out. On stubborn barrels I have left it in over night since it won't hurt the barrel.
It was the only way I could get the 35W/AI clean since the cut rifling was so rough it was a copper magnet.

truck driver thanks, I'll have to try it. I did try other cleaners like the foam spray/soak cleaners before what I'm doing now and wasn't all that impressed.

I just tried the gunslick foaming bore cleaner today. It actually worked very well. I ran some hoppes #9 down the barrel some first for the carbon. Then let the foam sit for 15-20 minutes. That foam is pretty messy though, but it worked very well on my rifle. Didn't even use a bore brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48":2nq3smci said:
I just tried the gunslick foaming bore cleaner today. It actually worked very well. I ran some hoppes #9 down the barrel some first for the carbon. Then let the foam sit for 15-20 minutes. That foam is pretty messy though, but it worked very well on my rifle. Didn't even use a bore brush.

I have used that stuff, haven't been super impressed. I may try a longer soak with Copper Killer before buying a new product - might as well use it up.

bob_dobalina":2fp8bkqh said:
Cleveland48":2fp8bkqh said:

I have used that stuff, haven't been super impressed. I may try a longer soak with Copper Killer before buying a new product - might as well use it up.

Well I will say the barrel on my rifle does lean very easily, so that may be why it seemed to work so good. Have not tried it on a really fouled barrel yet.

Wipe-Out Tactical Advantage is the easiest to use that I've found. One doesn't have to use a bore brush and works very well for me. No strong odor and isn't messy like the foam bore cleaners. I buy mine from Brownells.

Bruce

Past year I've been giving patch out and the accelerator a go and must admit I like it. May not be everyones cup o java, but seems to be working.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ive used Montana bore solvent, Montana copper killer, Ive used gunslick foam. They have done OK for me in the past, I'm not really impressed with the gunslick foam but I have been told it is great? I am going to try JB and Kroil...

I have compared the Gunslick foam to the Wipeout foam and the Wipeout wins every time. I admit I'm a chemical junkie and have partial bottles of lots of things. I've just finally started to throw away the rejects.

Now I go with Boretech Eliminator or KG if in a hurry, Wipeout / Accelerator if not. For small bores, I don't use the foam but use the liquid version.

Remington 40x bore cleaner use by directions,works fine for copper + powder foul.

I thought I knew what clean looked like...JB bore cleaner and Kroil have changed my world! I took one of my "clean" rifles and used my new routine on it and the pictures will show the results.

I have no stakes in JB or Kroil....lol. I'm just trying to help other guys. Maybe you have a cleaning system that works for you and that is awesome. This is what I have found to work for me.

Montana extreme bore solvent...2 patches. Let soak for 15 minutes. Wipe with 1 patch again of bore solvent. 2 patches of Kroil. Wrap patch around 1 size smaller bore brush, rub JB into it. 30 strokes down and back the barrel. 1 patch of kroil on a jag. Go back to the brush with a patch of JB and 30 more strokes down and back. 2 patches of bore solvent to clean out the bore and I like to finish with Break free CLP personally. I use two patches of CLP. That's the cleanest I have ever seen. You could probably only use one 30 pass regiment on rifles normally cleaned this way?

I just ordered a 4oz bottle of Boretech Cu+2 Copper Remover to give it a try. I'm real interested in all the other products everyone mentioned too but one thing at a time I guess.

Back