30-06 & 25-06 to the range

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Took my two favorite hunting rifles, the Remington 700 CDL's, to the range this morning. Wanted to check their zeros, and get some rifle practice. Besides, I like to shoot! The two rifles are quite similar, separated by a few years and bore size. I had a great local smith pillar bed the actions, free float the barrels, and adjust both triggers to a crisp three pound pull. The 30-06 has an old 2-7x Redfield, and the 25-06 wears a 6x Leupold. The slings also differ, as I'm trying the new Montana Sling on the 25-06 and am quite impressed so far.
R5KhMT2l.jpg

With targets set, I shot from prone/bipod at 100 yards. Starting with a cartridge in the chamber and two in the magazine, I fired three shots as fast as I could get back on target with the 30-06, and saw that they printed 3" high at 100 yards, exactly as they had before my spring trip to Alaska. Nice. The group wasn't as tight as I'd like, but, so be it. The load used the 200 gr Nosler Partition over enough H4350 to churn up 2600 fps, same ammo as I carried in Alaska. I figure I'll use the 30-06 for any bear or elk hunting I do this fall:
dvIn9WDl.jpg

Then I turned to the 25-06, with the same drill; three shots as quickly as I could. I was a little faster with the 25-06, and knew when I shot that I'd pulled one to the left. Doggone it! Really like this rifle & load, it's accurate, flat shooting, and has proven very effective in the field. The 115 gr Ballistic Tips at 3120 fps landed 2" high at 100 yards, very nice for this rifle's flat trajectory:
t9S5bkkl.jpg

With the 100 yard shooting done, I turned my attention to the 300 yard gong, firing from prone and sitting. The gong was in serious trouble with either rifle from prone. Let's just say I need to brush up on my sitting position a bit... Sheesh. I did sling up with the 25-06 and nail the gong with three consecutive hits from sitting with that rifle. The mild recoil makes getting back on target so easy!

Nice way to spend the morning. It's really nice to have a couple of good hunting rifles that are so reliable, and well matched. Someday I'll likely replace that old Redfield with a nicer, newer scope. I figure I'll do my mule deer hunting this year with the 25-06 and bear or elk will see the 30-06 afield.

Guy

Looks to have been a satisfying day with a couple of old friends. First rate, Guy.

Great shooting Guy! That's not helping my temptation on that 25/06 on sale locally [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great shooting Guy! That's not helping my temptation on that 25/06 on sale locally [emoji16]

Cleveland48":3480x0om said:

I've had wonderful results afield from the 25-06, and it's so doggone easy to shoot well.

I understand that Nosler used the 25-06 for a long time for accuracy testing of their .257" bullets. Maybe they still do?

A few folks have reported their 25-06 rifles were finicky, but I think it's been very easy to produce excellent, accurate, high-velocity hunting loads with either 100 or 115 grain bullets.

Regards, Guy

My brother had tremendous success with the 25/06 for years. Guess I'm gonna have to get one.

Cleveland48":eqcqirmc said:
My brother had tremendous success with the 25/06 for years. Guess I'm gonna have to get one.

Or go one better, and get a .257 Weatherby, which is pretty much more of the same.... (y)

I've actually loaded the 257 bee some for a friend. It was quite accurate itself in the mark V. He's killed many a deer with his.

Nice shooting Guy.
There are some critters in deep dark trouble this fall. :)

JD338

Guy Miner":2t437mgj said:
Cleveland48":2t437mgj said:

Or go one better, and get a .257 Weatherby, which is pretty much more of the same.... (y)

You KNOW I couldn't leave this one alone..... :) Better still a 250 Savage..! Actually I shot my first deer w/ a 25-06 BDL w/ a Herters scope. Six kinds of cool rifle that one.... Great shootin' Guy. CL

Nice shooting Guy. I have to mirror your sentiments on the 25-06. It was as simple rifle for me to work a load up using IMR4350 and Nosler 120 gr. Partitions. They chronographed out of my 700 Mtn rifle with the 22" barrel at exactly 3000 fps and shot very well. Many deer, antelope, and a couple elk testify to that. The 25-06 is a sweet cartridge. It really hits but doesn't belt the shooter much at all.

Out of all the skills a shooter can learn I've always believed the ability to know you pulled one, how far and in which direction to be incredibly helpful in improving your skill. Nice work.

salmonchaser":155wg2nk said:
Out of all the skills a shooter can learn I've always believed the ability to know you pulled one, how far and in which direction to be incredibly helpful in improving your skill. Nice work.

Wisdom there....CL

Somehow I have a feeling Guy will be posting a picture of another bear and that .30-06 soon.....

Back