Affordable AND good quality

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
I have been told that nobody has or wants a double rifle on the forum but I continue to have members ask me questions about them. i am really busy and therefore I will answer all three inquires with this one post.

The short answer is YES and he is in the United States ( California ). Searcy makes a very affordable and good quality double rifle. He is only 6 to 12 months out, uses good Turkish walnut, builds the rifle to fit the purchaser, will make it with a Box or Side lock. Webley screw grip, Rigby rising bite, Westley drop locks also available, as everything is custom made in his shop. He will regulate the barrels to your choice of ammo. If you ask him, he usually leans toward Woodleigh bullets. Excellent quality, good warranty, good price.

Second question about the locks can be as complicated or simple as you like, but each have their place and all work well. I personally like the side, a thy are easier to fix in the field and easier to include more engraving, being female I like more engraving and anything easier to fix gets my vote. The side will cost approx 10000 more.

hope this answers your question

best Regards

Jamila

Hmmm Well yes maybe gee I don't know, what's the base price if the side locks are 10000 more?
Yeah I'm pulling your leg.
I still want those two legged snakes!

Ha ha Rodger

Rodger I believe when I was looking around as I wanted to get a new 450/400, the Searcy, box lock was approx 20000 and the side was 30000, but I may be wrong about that as I do not have my notes in front of me. I choose to go with Holland, and some of that decision was nostalgia (great grandfather, grandfather, mum ). Holland only makes a sidelock, which is what I wanted anyway, plus i ordered an addition sidelock, so I could replace it in the field if necessary ( oh I forgot, and mum and dad was paying for it and that always helps )

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":xizog55a said:
I forgot, and mum and dad was paying for it and that always helps.

That's why God created Moms and Dads. At least, that is what my girls think. :?

DrMike":1jgkyxw9 said:
Africa Huntress":1jgkyxw9 said:
I forgot, and mum and dad was paying for it and that always helps.

That's why God created Moms and Dads. At least, that is what my girls think. :?

perfect response Dr Mike

Jamila I am unable to afford a double, but would love to have one and appreciate the information. It is something we dont get to read or discuss here, at least not as often as we discuss the pre 64 model 70 Winchester in the 30-06 caliber--There is probably nothing we, as a group, dont know abut that. So it was nice to read about something a little different, thank you I should also admit that I had no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned the other available options in regards to the locks

But, like Rodger, I did smile when you said the side would cost ten thousand--more!

Beautiful rifles, and Searcy makes more than doubles! There's a beautiful single-shot "stalking rifle" on his web site for $7500, in that classic 30-06 cartridge of course.

http://www.searcyent.com/

I've heard very good things about his work.

Guy

Beautiful rifles. Guy, that single shot would look great next to your Model 700's.

I'd love to have one but don't know what I'd shoot with it. (I guess the easy answer is anything I want to shoot :grin: )
I applaud your cartridge choice as that would be my choice also. Cool cartridge.

Beautiful rifles, thanks for the link Guy. I wonder if Martini ( spelling ? ) in Canada makes a double Dr Mike, he also makes beautiful rifles.

Unfortunately for most off us a Holland and Holland is out of our reach, but even though these are still expensive they are a lot closer to what we can afford. Thanks for the thread.

People like Dr Mike who is independently wealthy, Charles, who owns his own construction business, Hodgeman who is an Engineer and all engineers are in the Trump tax bracket, as well as salmonchaser and Earle who are guides and if anyone has checked recently the cost of hiring a guide, you know they are raking it in, can afford one But others like Guy, Allen, Rodger and I may not be able to buy one. But we still have our health---------wait, that isn't even completely true LOL

I see that Searcy has "PH" model double rifle that costs only $15k...

Not fancy, but still graceful and I'd think it would be very reliable.

Guy

Europe":3ppjxpcs said:
People like Dr Mike who is independently wealthy, Charles, who owns his own construction business, Hodgeman who is an Engineer and all engineers are in the Trump tax bracket, LOL

Unfortunately, engineers also have a "frugality gland"....I'd spend $15k on a rifle and it'd spasm uncomfortably until I quit doing that if I could even get started on a purchase.

I passed on a lovely Heym PH in .375 for the "low" price of $7800 some 8 or 9 years ago. Rifle is easily worth twice that or more now. Mrs. Hodgeman was skeptical of a rifle as an investment.

I will own a double eventually, if for no reason other than pure cussedness!

Europe":15ljpjty said:
Beautiful rifles, thanks for the link Guy. I wonder if Martini ( spelling ? ) in Canada makes a double Dr Mike, he also makes beautiful rifles.

Unfortunately for most off us a Holland and Holland is out of our reach, but even though these are still expensive they are a lot closer to what we can afford. Thanks for the thread.

People like Dr Mike who is independently wealthy, Charles, who owns his own construction business, Hodgeman who is an Engineer and all engineers are in the Trump tax bracket, as well as salmonchaser and Earle who are guides and if anyone has checked recently the cost of hiring a guide, you know they are raking it in, can afford one But others like Guy, Allen, Rodger and I may not be able to buy one. But we still have our health---------wait, that isn't even completely true LOL

To my knowledge, Ralf does not produce any double rifles. He does lovely work on single shots and on bolt action rifles, however.

Independently wealthy? More like independently broke. Only big name preachers make the big bucks. We little guys in the outback manage, but there is a reason we choose to live in the outback.

DrMike":3kmgxdvc said:
Europe":3kmgxdvc said:

To my knowledge, Ralf does not produce any double rifles. He does lovely work on single shots and on bolt action rifles, however.

Independently wealthy? More like independently broke. Only big name preachers make the big bucks. We little guys in the outback manage, but there is a reason we choose to live in the outback.
Yep you could live in Houston and have that Mega church.
I have found the only real preachers are those who are monetarily poor but Rich in Faith and put their faith before wealth. And you DrMike are rich in Faith and serve people in need not people who pay to feel good. Your one of the good ones.
I better stop before I get into trouble. :grin:

April,

I do own a construction business and also own the bills too! :>)

And to not mislead anyone, it's such a small time operation it's run out of a make shift office in my living room. :>)

c. schutte":3o90dq26 said:
April,

I do own a construction business and also own the bills too! :>)

And to not mislead anyone, it's such a small time operation it's run out of a make shift office in my living room. :>)
Though I'm retired now and living off the Roots of my labor not the fruits I know what you mean Charlie. My office was very mobile since it was the drivers seat of my truck. I' not monetarily strapped but I do count my beans sometimes I guess it's just old habits you never forget.
I would love a nice double rifle but they are not suited to the type of hunting I do.
Maybe facing down a Grizz on Kodiak in the bush but no plans for that right now.
Still love to look at them though.

I am not going to back down this time, and once again I am giving you fair warning that if you push this to far my mum will report you to Jim and/or Fotis and I will not apologize for being young, black, adopted, or from a wealthy family. My mum's family may be o.k. financially BUT they still taught their children manners, so I will take this no further.

Mark, I do want to thank you for the very nice PM

To all that responded on the thread, I enjoyed your posts and always enjoy the banter between you fellows and with April.

Hodgeman, that was an especially funny post, loved it! And I also hope you pick up a double, you might be surprised at how nicely they would work for you when hunting Grizzly in thick alders.

Dr Mike , you are rich in the eyes of the lord and when push comes to shove that is really all that matters.

Guy, yes they do have some very nice doubles for very good prices and they are of excellent quality. He also will stand behind is rifles 100%--unless you have some other gunsmith do something to them and then you are on your own.

John, like everything else, if you got involved in doubles and studied the locks for an hour or so you would understand them completely. They are not complicated, the nomenclature is just different that the bolt, but not hard to grasp.

Allen, thanks
Rodger, thanks

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. I forgot---April, in reference to your email--"maybe" ha ha

ps. p.s. I can not believe that Scotty, Dewey, and Nathan do not have a double rifle in their safe. They love "different" Ha

Thanks Jamila, actually I did a bit of studying on the locks mentioned after your original post, thanks for prompting me to , learn more ,about rifles

Jamila you are more then welcome you sure bring something different to the table here and it is greatly appreciated.
Having dabbled in gun smithing repairing old double barrel shot guns I know what you mean about the side locks and they are easier to repair than a box lock.

There is no place here for your attackers and they need to be gone!!!!!

Jamila,

Just post the PM's.................... turn the lights on and watch the roaches run for cover.

Back