American Rifleman on the 45-70 Marlin

Boddington and John Barnes are two of the only writers I still enjoy reading. It's so nice when they write about great old calibers and rifles. Instead of Ar15 and tactical stuff that seems to fill up all the gun mags today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great article guy thanks for posting it. When I received my GBL i mounted a smaller Varix- 4 on it as soon as it got to my house. While I appreciate the nostalgia of the lever rifle, my practical side knows that if I am going to hunt and shoot with it, 50 yards isn't going to get it. So far no big game have met this rifle yet, but that time is coming.

Guy,

Thank you so very much for posting that great article on the 45-70! It was a really good read.
I've been trying to find something like that since I got my Marlin 1895 in hand. You must've read my mind.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":2svw3uyx said:
Guy,

Thank you so very much for posting that great article on the 45-70! It was a really good read.
I've been trying to find something like that since I got my Marlin 1895 in hand. You must've read my mind.

You're welcome.

Several of us here on the forum have quite a bit of experience loading for the 45/70, and hunting too.

Fire away with questions if you will! (y)

There are a couple of forums that specialize in lever actions, and a LOT of 45/70 knowledge can be found on those.

Guy

Guy,
Or anyone else,

What's the lightest bullet you've loaded and what were you using it on?
What's the heaviest bullet you've loaded, and what were you using it on?
I'm thinking of ordering Hornady 350 grains Interlock FNP, and use them on everything from deer, elk, moose, black bear, on up to griz.
Any suggestions on bullets and loads?

Thank you in advance!

I loaded 300 gr bullets. Intended to use them on deer, but only shot targets with them.

Also loaded 350 gr bullets as an all-around type load. Can get excellent performance from them.

Shot a mule deer with a 405 gr Remington bullet. That worked just fine.

Loaded 425 grain hard cast Beartooth Piledriver Junior bullets for big game, and sold the rifle before I used them afield. They shot GREAT!

If you go to the "Bullet Test" section, in the .458" category, you can find quite a few .458" bullet tests and I believe some results on game as well.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16517

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16542

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16541

There's three of my old tests.

Guy

Thank you very much Guy!
I really appreciate it!

Wouldn't you know, and I'm pleased as punch, this month's Outdoor Life, on page 62, has an article on the .45-70! I can't wait to read it. I haven't as of yet, but when I get back home after dropping my son off at school, I'm burying my nose in the article! Oo-Rah!

Has anyone had any experience with the LeverEvolution? And reloaded the cases for the LeverEvolution? I'm just wondering.

HAWKEYESATX":1filleyu said:
Has anyone had any experience with the LeverEvolution? And reloaded the cases for the LeverEvolution? I'm just wondering.

I shot some thru my Henry last year. Killed one doe with a shot at about 150-175 yards. She ran off for 100 yards or so, then keeled over. Shot another one the next day, about the same range. She dropped like a ton of bricks hit her, and then eventually got back on her feet and ran off before I could get there. Blood all over the place where she went down, but by the time she crossed the property line the bleeding had stopped. Darndest thing ever. I have not reloaded any of them, however. I'm rolling with 300gr. Nosler BT's in standard cases this fall. Very accurate in my gun, and I've heard they are death on deer.

BDBrown66,

Did the 325gr FTX exit when you shot the deer?
I'm wondering if they were handloads, would they give better performance? I wonder what the bullet would do on bear?

HAWKEYESATX":3rdxq29f said:
BDBrown66,

Did the 325gr FTX exit when you shot the deer?
I'm wondering if they were handloads, would they give better performance? I wonder what the bullet would do on bear?

No, I don't recall an exit wound.

I've been working on two different 300gr handloads. One with the Nosler BT, and the other with the Speer "Plinker" bullet. The Nosler seems to be a little more accurate, but the Speer is a bonded or plated bullet, so there's no jacket separation. That might be a consideration when hunting bear.

Planning to use my Henry for deer season this fall, so I'm curious as to how my Nosler loads will perform. I've heard good things.

Any Nosler Partition I've used has been top notch. They usually exit, but if not, usually found just under the skin on the off side of the entry. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance. I've been thinking of a possible stout constructed 300 gr as well. From what I understand, a good 350gr will suffice for all game.

Sorry, I forgot. I'm sure the Ballistic Tip will work perfectly. It's basically an AccuBond with a polymer tip.

Swift's 300 grain A-Frame is expensive. Penetration won't be an issue, nor will expansion assuming an impact velocity of 1300FPS or better.

HAWKEYESATX":ipo3a691 said:
Sorry, I forgot. I'm sure the Ballistic Tip will work perfectly. It's basically an AccuBond with a polymer tip.

The 300 gr BST is not a bonded core bullet, it's a cup and core bullet. The AccuBond is a bonded core bullet.
My daughter and I have taken quite a few deer with the 300 gr BST out of our muzzleloaders and I have also shot a couple from my 45-70. They hammer the deer, usually exit and leak a lot of blood.

JD338

I have a church member who uses the Hornady 350rn on everything out here. His is one of the mid 70's straight grip 1895s. Its been his saddle rifle all these years. Mule deer and elk go right on down, but he's never shot either one over 75yds. Good luck to you.

Back