My Father's Firearm Collection

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello to you all!

I have to say with a deeply saddened heart, that I think my dad has been selling his firearms collection to help my mom and him stay afloat. My dad is now 74, and my mom is 70. They've been retired for some time now.
Here is a list of firearms my dad used to have:
#1 - Original Springfield M1 Garand
#2 - Winchester 1873 .44 WCF Saddle Ring Carbine
#3 - Ithaca SKB SXS 12 ga shotgun
#4 - Webley .38 S&W
#5 - SMLE #1 MK 3 .303 British
#6 - Sporterized 1903 A3 Springfield
#7 - Colt Series 80 1911
#8 - Lyman .50 cal Great Plains Rifle
#9 - CVA Hawken .50 cal rifle
#10 - F. Pietta 1858 Steel Frame Remington .44 cal revolver
#11 - Beretta Tomcat .22 LR
#12 - unknown make of single barrel .410 shotgun
#13 - Marlin .22 rifle

I'm sure they have needed the money, but these were supposed to be my only inheritance from my father.

Also, in typical fashion, my wife is un-sympathetic as to my parents and mine predicament.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Maybe your dad would let you buy the ones you'd most like to have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I could. I'm not able to, right now, give him fair market value for anything he has.

Although, a couple of years ago, he did surprise me with giving me his Browning Medallion .22 LR Semi Auto target pistol he used in competitions while he was in the Navy. It was a very pleasant surprise to say the least.

HAWKEYESATX":td6j3k4o said:
Although, a couple of years ago, he did surprise me with giving me his Browning Medallion .22 LR Semi Auto target pistol he used in competitions while he was in the Navy. It was a very pleasant surprise to say the least.

Wow, that is cool!

Browning makes great stuff! I haven't looked up the history on that model. Is it similar to the medalist?

Best to you! Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand if you can't buy the ones you really want but maybe a buddy of yours can buy one or two of them and someday you can buy them back from him. Better than Joe Blow buying it and never seeing him again. The M1 sounds like a dandy!!

All of my friends and I moved out of Iowa after being done with school. I don't have anyone that would help out in Iowa, unfortunately.

mjcmichigan":29u7yyt0 said:
HAWKEYESATX":29u7yyt0 said:

Wow, that is cool!

Browning makes great stuff! I haven't looked up the history on that model. Is it similar to the medalist?

Best to you! Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here are pics of the Medallion! She came in a Browning Presentation Box, with the barrel weights and ammo block, and an extra magazine.
dcb550621c1f39398b05189c161576b1.jpg
555305e7c9ff389b668341b4dc05ca93.jpg

Wow! What a Beauty! And a tack driver.

I have big hands, so really love the big wood grips!

mjcmichigan":3b8tl3an said:

She is a beauty, no doubt! I have big hands as well, and the oversize grip is perfect. It is still as accurate now as day 1 my dad got it.

You are fortunate to have received such a nice gift from your father while he was alive. My father gave a rifle to his nephew but made no specific designation for me. Not that he did not care or was unkind. I think he knew I placed too much value on them as things. I was fortunate, he gave me more important things. I don't mean to minimize your feelings or talk down at you in any way. I am in the process of selling Dads rifles/ shotguns, none of which were very fancy, to total strangers, but the money will go to my mother. That seems right, but it is still a very hard thing. Shoot the pistol and be glad that he thought enough of you to convey the gift while he was still living. Just my .02 worth. CL

Thank you Cloverleaf.
I do cherish it. And I will shoot it.

I've gone through this once and have some advice. If there are any firearms your dad had which you REALLY like, find some way to buy them. Once you sell them, they are gone forever and you will kick yourself in the backside every time you think about them or see one that is similar. Then you will say "I should have found a way to buy that gun." But by then it will be too late. I know.

I've gone through this once and have some advice. If there are any firearms your dad had which you REALLY like, find some way to buy them. Once you sell them, they are gone forever and you will kick yourself in the backside every time you think about them or see one that is similar. Then you will say "I should have found a way to buy that gun." But by then it will be too late. I know.

I would buy his whole collection if I could. Then I would wait and give them to my son when he gets old enough. I just don't have the funds to do it.

I would buy his whole collection if I could. Then I would wait and give them to my son when he gets old enough. I just don't have the funds to do it.

Of course, one of the unspoken problems is that your dad obviously feels the need to provide for himself and your mom. I have no doubt that if he were able, he'd gladly give you everyone of his firearms. We reach that advanced age and the days remaining hover in the distance, but we don't know how we can provide for ourselves in those waning days. Then, we men, especially, feel the weight of wanting to provide for our wives. At such times, every penny counts. For your own collection, make sure that your son gets to use the rifles often and work to provide for a transition before the demanding days come. Many within my generation thought we were providing for our retirement years, only to discover that the demands of life outstripped our prescience.

DrMike,
I was thinking along those same lines, putting myself in my dad's shoes.
Thank you for expressing eloquently the complexity of the situation.
Also, I wish I could help more with their situation as well. I'm 15 hours away, and that doesn't make it an easy situation.

Back