Someone can guess from what era this Rem 700 is?

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
i've been looking for deal on a left hand Remington 700 for a while
if possible some of the older/better models.
the seller of this rifle is second owner and he can't tell from
what era it is.
it's a BDL left hand in 7mm Rem mag.

with the help of these 2 pics, can sone one guve an approximation
on the date of manufacture?
i don't know about the recoil pad, it looks old, or aftermarket...
thanks

v7e5wO.jpg

4D6ugt.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pictures. Recoil pad looks to be aftermarket. You can look up the serial number on line to get the year of manufacture. I'm guessing mid 1980's era.

JD338

i think that would be perfect, if it's the case.
i will ask if he can provide the serial number
thanks

Remington also puts a two letter code on the left side of the barrel just forward of the receiver. There are many listings online of the code guide. If the you or the owner can/will take a photo of the code it will tell you the month and year the rifle was made. Depending on the exact location on the barrel where the stamp was placed it may be necessary to remove the action from the stock to see it.

Ron

Do a serial number search, they should be available online. How many numbers in the SN ? Looking at the checkering I would say late 60's early 70's.

Not sure of year but the old 700's seem light years better than the new ones.

SJB358":2dfnqh5s said:
Not sure of year but the old 700's seem light years better than the new ones.

The older model 700's were shooters. Triggers were easy to adjust, metal work and fit to wood was decent.
Not so much anymore.

JD338

...the old 700 triggers were easy to adjust, pizzpoor design, but easy to adjust by people who didn't understand there were two adjustment screws, letting up on the trigger spring w/o adjusting the sear engagement was a recipe for disaster, which happened on an all too regular basis. Which led in turn to Rem sending them out of the factory set @ 8-12#, more amateur trigger adjustments, more accidents. Instead of just fixing the original trigger, Rem "fixed" the safety by removing the bolt lock, which opened it's own can of worms...

Elkman":2v7bwma9 said:
Do a serial number search, they should be available online. How many numbers in the SN ? Looking at the checkering I would say late 60's early 70's.

thanks Elkman. i think the left hand 700 were introduced in 1972
it would be awesome to have one from that year.

i bought it anyway, will do a search when it gets here.
i will easily sell it for the price i paid if i don't like it.

If you don't mind posting some pictures when you get it that could be nice, don't get to see too many lefties on here especially one from Canada :)

gerry":1x8yerk1 said:
If you don't mind posting some pictures when you get it that could be nice, don't get to see too many lefties on here especially one from Canada :)

i will.

When I was in high school (a long time ago) a Model 700 LH in 7mm Mag. was my dream rifle but way out of reach. Many years later I finally layed down some money and ordered my rifle. I got it early spring of 1982 and it was built December 1981.
I still have this rifle and it looks brand new even after hard hunting for many years. I bedded the rifle a few years back and it is a real tackdriver. With my hand loads it prints several loads hovering under and just over 1/2"
Please show us some photo's. I like seeing LH rifles. I now own 3 LH centerfires and 2 LH flintlocks.

Attachments

• SS850008 (1024x768).jpg
    SS850008 (1024x768).jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 1,289
  • Early M700 instructions.jpg
    Early M700 instructions.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1,289
i just received the rifle
it looks in beautiful condition.
left of the barrel there's the indication
ED 83
from what i have found it was built in october 1983
what is your opinion on how good were the remington 700 rifles of that year?

I think you got a good one. Even if you had to replace a part you got one of the 700’s that were put together with QC in mind.

From that era, those were well-built rifles. You should be well-pleased with the rifle. It will serve you well. If you wish to modify it, there is a plethora of accoutrements to customize the firearm to reflect precisely when you want.

here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6339.JPG
    IMG_6339.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_6338.JPG
    IMG_6338.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_6336.JPG
    IMG_6336.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,242
  • IMG_6337.JPG
    IMG_6337.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,242
That looks like it was hardly even used, I think you are going to be quite pleased with it.

From the looks of the bolt face low round count. Those pads are nice but tend to get gummy and mushy over the years. The only 7 mag I ever shot was a right hand like that. That was enough for me. I'm a short action/cartridge fan. Good luck with a nice older gun,keep us posted on how she shoots.

Back