SOME DORK!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Somebody sold a student of mine a box of .38 Super +P...

For her beautiful Marlin 1894, chambered in .38 Special! :shock:

Today she fed five of them into the magazine, and thankfully the first one failed to chamber. She didn't know. Her husband always purchased the ammo for their firearms and he passed some months ago. She's trying to get back into shooting.

Doggone it. Who the heck buys .38 Super, other than some IPSC shooters anyway? And they probably handload on a high-volume Dillon anyway.

Doggone it! Disaster averted.

Guy

Well I'm not an IPSC shooter but I do own a .38 Super that will shoot 1" 5 shot groups at 50yds off bags have never used a ransom rest since it shot so well off bags. And yeah I hand load them on a Dillon 550-B.
But like you said what Dork would sell someone .38 Super for .38 SPL. I might have to pay him a visit or at least let the shop owner know there was a Law suit averted.

FOTIS":h3j08f7z said:
38 S&W for a 38 Special? Seen that

I've seen that mistake too. And 9mm Kurz (380) for 9mm. And others.

I guess this bugged me 'cause she is trying hard to get back into the shooting sports, but her husband always did the firearms maintenance, bought the ammo, etc. All she had to do was shoot. She's learning a lot now.

Like not getting .38 Super ammo for her .38 Special firearm!

BTW - that little Marlin of hers was beautiful! Color case-hardened 1894, with a flip up tang sight. Very nice. I wish I'd had a box of .38's in the Jeep yesterday, I'd have loved to fire it a few times. I thought they were all for .357 & .38, but this one was only marked .38 Special on the octagonal barrel.

Guy

Guy did your student buy the ammo from a store? If so did someone go back to inform them it was the wrong ammo and that this mistake could have caused a serious problem?
I am sure happy that no incident occurred (y).

Blessings,
Dan

95% of the guys I have worked with behind gun counters would have done the same thing just because it said
"38" on it. I don't know how they all get jobs selling guns and ammo when they know next to nothing about the products they are selling, which can lead to some very serious/deadly accidents.

Back