Recoil Pad Adhesive

Elkman

Handloader
Apr 4, 2010
I have a new recoil pad ready to install on my composite stock. It seems to be foam filled (or similar) so i doubt that the screws supplied will not work for very long. Any ideas as to what type of adhesive to use?

Bill,

I've inserted a wood block fitted to the stock. It was held in place with about any good adhesive. Then, the pad can be fitted to the block with screws.

Bill,
I'd try a little drop of adhesive on a corner and let it sit overnight.
I glued one a year or so ago and the glue melted part of the pad. (It was a longer setting super glue, since relegated to the trash)

I've used 5 minute epoxy and bedding compound in the past. Hog out the area where the screws go and relieve the foam around the edges of the stock so the glue sticks to the stock (if it's a permanent install). If you want it removable then wax the bottom of the recoil pad and screws.

Thanks for the input all but I am still slightly confused. I have no intention of taking the pad off, once its in place, the original has been on since the 60's. I just mentioned the screws because of the foam like product inside will not hold a screw. So this is what I understand:
Mike, your saying form a piece of wood, cut away the foam product inside the exterior shell and glue wood inside the stock, then glue the pad to it.
Dewey your recommending that I glue directly to the rim or shell, With only one drop?
Nathan if I understand your post, you recommend creating a small groove on the inside edge of the stock, against the shell filling it and then setting the pad.

Can I not glue directly to the foam and rim at the same time. If so what would I use. Is it foam?
This is why I prefer to never touch anything that is working. I thought this was going to be a slam dunk.

Use a generous amount of glue whatever it is. The foam won't provide much support so cut it away around the edges of the stock. It's kind of like making a moat. That will give your the best adhesion for the pad. I would also roughen up the surface of the recoil pad before gluing. Dry fit the pad first and poke the screws into the foam and then go back in where the screws poke into the foam and drill the holes larger so the glue will have a larger surface area to adhere. I generally drill smaller holes at all kinds of angles through the foam to help lock the glue into the foam as much as possible too. Tape off the stock and glue it together. You'll want to use tape to hold the pad in place until it dries.

5 minute epoxy works but isn't nearly as strong as bedding compounds are. The ones I've used 5 minute epoxy on have never come off though.

I had to glue the plastic butt plate on my Savage 99 when it came loose. I had to find a glue that would work for both plastic and wood, and came across Gorilla glue. It worked very well. No more loose butt plate.
That's just my 2 cents worth. Maybe try Gorilla Glue.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Got it now guys. The pad has already been sanded down so there is no fitting once it's on. Thanks all

Bill I would run a bead of epoxy all the way around the outer edge and threw the center of the base of the pad leaving the screws in and place it on the stock pushing the screws into the foam so they help hold the pad in place till the epoxy dries or hardens.
Good luck with gluing the pad on.

No Bill, sorry. I meant use a drop to make certain it didn't react with the pad.
I agree with Nathan, MarineTex(what I use to bed rifles) holds superbly.

G'Day Fella's,

Elkman, I use any quality high strength epoxy resin.
This is usually Brownell's Acra-Glass Gel (a two part, epoxy resin/bedding compound).

Cut the stock to the correct length of pull (LOP) including the new pad and angle.
Then place masking tape all the way around the stock 1/4" forward of the to be glued joint, and the same on the recoil pad.
.............. I'll go find an image, and I'll be back shortly.

I'm back. Please see below;
Calculate the LOP, mark the stock at this point and then cut it with a hand wood saw.
How to Bed a Rifle 010.JPG
Recoil Pad, Big Bore & Varmint Rifles 001.JPG

Brownell's Acra-Glass Gel, or Marine Tex;
How to Bed a Rifle 001.JPG
Recoil Pad, Big Bore & Varmint Rifles 004.JPG
Recoil Pad, Big Bore & Varmint Rifles 005.JPG

Once the pad is in place, wipe away the excess glue, and put the stock aside in a safe location (where it won't get bumped), I lightly clamp it in the vise.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Homer, Outstanding post thanks so much for the pictures and info. I have been so busy I haven't gotten back to that project but will have to soon the rifle is going elk hunting in three weeks. The pictures really helped. thanks again.

Well I did get the recoil pad installed, thanks to all of the help I had from you guys here. its not "fine gun" quality but this old girl is pretty beat up anyway after nearly 50 seasons in the woods. Anyway I let it cure for a couple of days then as always I wanted to check and see where my zero had moved to . I loaded up some 40 year old Speer flatbase 180 gr bullets with WW cases. CCI primers, 72 gr. of H-4350. I put three down range and found them in a nice little cluster of 1.9 inches at 300 yards.. But about 4 inches to the left of the target center. This perplexed me as I have had the rifle out of the stock in the past, and usually if any adjustment was required it was under an inch. I made the appropriate adjustment and put three more down range after the rifle had cooled. These were an inch right of target center and another nice little cluster of 1.090 inches. Needless to say I left it alone for the day. Yesterday I went out to proof check with my 180 gr. Partitions. Well as you might have guessed they shot about 4 inches to the right of the target center, so I move it back left, fired a couple of rounds which were 1 inch high at 1 o'clock and 3/4 inch right. I moved it one click to the left, and put it away. Its ready to hunt.
As a side note I did finish load development on my Mashburn, and with the 160 AB and 66 gr. of H-4350 also using WW cases. I was able to squeak out a 2.79 inch group at 425 yards but a disappointing 7.8 inch group at 625. I did however put 6 shots within 5.5 inches of target center at 625, so I am pretty happy with it, and its also ready to go hunting. I am starting my gear gathering and loading today with a departure to Wyoming on the 10th.

Yup, sounds as if you're ready for the season, Bill. We're pulling for you.

Back