Ruger American

otter25

Beginner
May 22, 2012
Has anyone tried to straighten/bend the barrel channel to even out the gap on each side by using a heat gun.Pretty drastic I know.

Gotta ask- how's it shoot?

Are we talking about something that effects accuracy or simply aesthetic?

If we're talking accuracy I'd call Ruger CS, if it's aesthetic...I'd simply leave it alone. Heat guns could easily make it worse.

The aftermarket stock folks are supporting the American now- if it's bad you might consider that option as the factory stock is pretty flimsy.

I have one here in 450 Bushmaster that just has the tip of the stock touching the left side of the barrel. My plan is to sand it so it doesn't touch. I'm afraid that a heat gun would have a deleterious effect.

hodgeman":3o7lcql5 said:
Gotta ask- how's it shoot?

Are we talking about something that effects accuracy or simply aesthetic?

If we're talking accuracy I'd call Ruger CS, if it's aesthetic...I'd simply leave it alone. Heat guns could easily make it worse.

The aftermarket stock folks are supporting the American now- if it's bad you might consider that option as the factory stock is pretty flimsy.
Aesthetic

I'm no expert but have read that the hole for the tang screw is generally the cause for this since it is bored off center.
If there is enough play in the hole you can remove material from the sides of the tang area to move the barrel either left or right.

truck driver":36no3a87 said:
I'm no expert but have read that the hole for the tang screw is generally the cause for this since it is bored off center.
If there is enough play in the hole you can remove material from the sides of the tang area to move the barrel either left or right.

Thank you for that tip. I will look at that and see if it's a fix. I'm not using a heat gun for sure

My American touched on the left side of the barrel also. Never cared for that factory stock, but boy was it a shooter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Vette":3tycuwiw said:
I have one here in 450 Bushmaster that just has the tip of the stock touching the left side of the barrel. My plan is to sand it so it doesn't touch.

and there you go! A foolproof plan :mrgreen:

FOTIS":1eovmme3 said:
Dr. Vette":1eovmme3 said:
I have one here in 450 Bushmaster that just has the tip of the stock touching the left side of the barrel. My plan is to sand it so it doesn't touch.

and there you go! A foolproof plan :mrgreen:
Sand the stock - not the barrel! :mrgreen:

Back