Another Mod 70... 6.5-06

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I adopted this beauty from an old friend..This M70 FWT started life as a 30-06 and now its a 6.5-06. I was with him 4 years ago when he bought it at Cabelas. I think it'l fit right in my collection..The misses said I couldn't buy any more rifles until after Christmas, but I assumed trading a chainsaw and a riding mower for it would be okay.... 8) (y) I've seen it in action and it's a real shooter! He's supposed to email his reloading notes today, so hopefully I can get to the range with it soon....Not sure about the BearTooth Cheek riser, though...Cropping the picture for upload makes it look like the barrel and stock are much shorter than in real life.

Attachments

• 20170929_091240.jpg
    20170929_091240.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,200
A good 6.5-06 would be a great open-country hunting cartridge. I like the rifle. Do believe however that I'd get rid of that sock covering the buttstock, Never had much use for those.

Any idea who made the barrel?

Guy

Love the Featherweight; love the cartridge. Guy's suggestion is worth considering.

Guy Miner":2mc57bkj said:
A good 6.5-06 would be a great open-country hunting cartridge. I like the rifle. Do believe however that I'd get rid of that sock covering the buttstock, Never had much use for those.

Any idea who made the barrel?

Guy
I have a folder jwith all the information from the GS. it says McGowen 1:8...i also see where the smith sent it back for blueing a second time with a note "close but not perfect match...send back re-blue" I know this GS does blueing in house, so I assume it was a note to himself or one of the 2 guys that works there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beautiful! I "almost" had that shot-out 257 Roberts AI Mod 70 rebarreled to that exact round awhile back. I got a decent trade for it as it was for this pristine Mod 700 Classic 7x57, but from what I've researched about it through the years, I think its a swell cartridge. I base that a lot on the old 6.5/284 I used to have. A gee-wiz antelope/deer slayer with 120/125 Noslers! Great trade, btw, "both" the chainsaw and the mower represent "drudging, hot, miserable labor"....the older I get the more distance I try to put between me and "it"...ha

preacher":18846cyl said:
Beautiful! I "almost" had that shot-out 257 Roberts AI Mod 70 rebarreled to that exact round awhile back. I got a decent trade for it as it was for this pristine Mod 700 Classic 7x57, but from what I've researched about it through the years, I think its a swell cartridge. I base that a lot on the old 6.5/284 I used to have. A gee-wiz antelope/deer slayer with 120/125 Noslers! Great trade, btw, "both" the chainsaw and the mower represent "drudging, hot, miserable labor"....the older I get the more distance I try to put between me and "it"...ha

I only have anecdotal knowledge of the cartridge, but I've been reading up on it..My plan is to use it at my friends, brother in law's farm where its 500-600 yards across the pastures (depending on where the cows are, LOL) I figure some 120 gr NBT's would be perfect for deer and 'yotes....You're right. I wasn't a bit sad to see the Cub Cadet and the Stihl go riding off in his truck! There's a reason the neighbor's kid has been getting $40/week from me to mow and weedeat for the last 2 years!

Guy, only once did I need a cheek riser and that was on a 270 I inherited that had those see under mounts..I'll probably take the Talley medium bases off and replace with the same thing, but Low height. And defiantly ditch the sock/cheek riser.

That's the nicest Winchester model 70 configuration in my opinion and the 6.5-06 is an excellent round, you did well.

gerry":11z910id said:
That's the nicest Winchester model 70 configuration in my opinion and the 6.5-06 is an excellent round, you did well.

I've had a love for the fwt since I saw my first one back in '85..It was my uncle's and I fell in love with it and swore I'd have one one day..Then got married and kids came along and I couldn't justify the money...Now all the kids a re grown and I can't hardly walk by one without at least making an offer..LOL...I have them in 280 Rem, 7mm-08, 264 win mag, 308 win, and now this one..

Sounds like a grand collection of Featherweights. You need to give us a picture of these fine rifles.

hunter24605":15gkv22p said:
Sure will mike..As soon as I get them all under one roof again!
Now look what you went and done.
DrMike won't be able to sleep nights till he gets to see those pictures. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

We need another thread showing off Featherweights. I do admire them, for sure.

truck driver":10n4y93j said:
hunter24605":10n4y93j said:
Sure will mike..As soon as I get them all under one roof again!
Now look what you went and done.
DrMike won't be able to sleep nights till he gets to see those pictures. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

(y) (y) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those featherweights are great looking rifles and the chambering is a really good one! I agree with the stock sock and burn that ugly thing!

Finally got to shoot it today using some ammo he supplied..120 NBT's....i think itl shoot much tighter. I knew as soon as i touched it off that the one shot that hit right was going to be off..didnt even have to look..lol ill go back and try again..pretty sure they will stack up neatly so long as i dont muff a shot again.
9262ab27e299f32d19854664b2bd6856.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that group, and it sounds as if you have the promise of even better performance coming!

Back