Sigh... Rifle Wantitis

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Dang. I'm the guy who's often saying "sell some of those guns, go have adventures!"

And I have a perfectly fine battery of hunting rifles as well as a couple of target rifles and a few old collector's type rifles...

Why then, am I not satisfied???

I find myself over the past few months drawn to two distinct types of rifles:

1 - Something like a .45/70 "Cowboy" Marlin 1895 with the 26" barrel. Just sights, no scope. I've had two .45/70 Marlins in the past, and apparently I miss them.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-ac ... del-1895cb

2 - Something like a 26 or 28 Nosler... With (of all things!) a quality synthetic stock and a rust-resistant finish... Something like a Nosler rifle ... That can do a FINE job of reaching out and plucking a trophy mule deer from his bed 500 yards away...

https://www.nosler.com/m48-liberty-rifle/

I dunno why... I just want 'em. Have perfectly fine rifles right here, ready to serve.

Sheesh! :grin:

Haha, I get that way whenever I browse the racks of Mod 70 fwt's..Like a kid going through baseball cards..Need it, need it, got it, got it, need it............
:lol:

Guy get a vanguard in 6.5 bee 26" barrels now

I'll probably get over it this time by taking the scope off my 30-30 and shooting it a bit.

Then tagging something with my 25-06 and smiling.

You need an intervention Guy. What I found one day that worked for me was a buddy was going shopping for a rifle and he wanted me to go with him. We went to a local sporting goods store and I had him look over some Winchester Model 70's in the new 300 WSM. He loved the rifle with the controlled round feed and wood laminate stock. It was beautiful! We are at a sporting goods store my good man, that rifle needs a scope, so scope we did. He ended up getting a Zeiss Conquest after looking over several. I was so excited for him that it completely alleviated my buying impulses. I had found the cure. I had all the fun and had none of the expense!

I also knew something else which was he would want me to work up a load for the rifle after our gunsmith buddy glass bedded the rifle and worked his magic on the trigger. The before he got it given back to him I had a gal who did checkering for Cooper Arms work her magic on the stock. Oh my did it turn out nice. Then I got to work up a load and shoot the darn thing for as long as it took me to work on the load. So maybe I had the rifle for just a bit longer than was necessary, but he never knew!!

David

Guy,

Ohhhhh! How I know that feeling of longing!
When I get enough money together, I'm getting the Marlin 1895 CB as well. The next rifle I would dearly love to get next is a non mag 6.5mm of some sort, in a Weatherby Vanguard. And also a .375 H&H, or .375 Ruger.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Guy,

Every man needs a good 45-70!
And a M48 in 28 Nosler is a lifetime of adventure

JD338

You sound perfectly normal to me. 8) It is abnormal to be satisfied when it comes to firearms. :shock: Now, David has given some good advice, and I'm taking him up on it. I'll be right down and take you shopping. :mrgreen:

I’m with JD, everyone needs a lever 45/70,
And Fotis 6.5 bee, and Scott’s 7mm MSM

Lol, spent 4 hours at Cabelas helping a friend buy a PSE bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrMike":29z1d40c said:
You sound perfectly normal to me. 8) It is abnormal to be satisfied when it comes to firearms. :shock: Now, David has given some good advice, and I'm taking him up on it. I'll be right down and take you shopping. :mrgreen:

Yeah...about that...my friends don't ask my advice about rifles any more. They say I am too good at spending their money. :? Just trying to help.... :) CL

There's always something on my want list. Some for no particular reason at all, and like you I probably have all I will ever need already.

Guy there are times we all have the Wantitis and have to either satisfy it or walk away. Sometimes the best thing is to have someone else beat you to it which also puts the fire out.

Whew! Made it in and out of the gun shop with only some ammunition purchased!

12 & 20 ga for upcoming upland game hunting

500 rounds of 22 CCI "mini mag" 'cause I like having a lot of .22 on hand and it works great in all of my various .22's.

A few .38's and .45's for upcoming training. I like to have some good quality factory ammo on hand for my classes.

Looked at some nice rifles and left them right there! :)

Guy

I know the feeling Guy! Ever since the thread got started on the 2018 vanguards having 26” barrels, and 6.5-300 clambering I’ve been drooling. Even though I have absolutely no purpose for that type of screamer.

DrMike":35tgm8ju said:
Love it Mike!

Cleveland48":3ubs3p5p said:
I know the feeling Guy! Ever since the thread got started on the 2018 vanguards having 26” barrels, and 6.5-300 clambering I’ve been drooling. Even though I have absolutely no purpose for that type of screamer.

Hunting mule deer & pronghorn fairly regularly, I can "justify" a high velocity deer rifle, but... Already have a 25-06 that has taken deer out at 400 yards. That's good enough! (y)

And there's a 300 WSM, very accurate, that I almost never use. Perfect for those longer shots. Anytime I want to give myself a new rifle - I just have to remember that there's a perfectly good Model 70 in the safe that I shoot every few years! Ha! :grin:

Guy

Sometimes it’s fun to work with a new rifle or cartridge. If the means are there it’s a good way to spend some extra time on the range. A fast 6.5, 7mm or whatever is pretty appealing to me. Right now my Mashburn is scratching that itch.

Back